Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone screen replacement kit quality?

iphone screen replacement kit quality?
yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2015, 08:29 AM

Wife broke her iphone 4 screen, doesn't want to upgrade so I'm going to buy a replacement screen assembly and fix it for her.

Just wondering two things:
1. Are the replacement screens all of the same quality? I can choose to buy from ifixit but there are much cheaper ones on my ebay.
2. For the A1332 iphone 4, i'm guessing there is no difference between the white and black screen assemblies, other than color? I know about the GSM / CDMA difference, just wondering about between the differently coloredd GSM versions.

thanks, hope someone can help.
ππ>_<ππ

ibook_steve
Apr 16, 2015, 01:00 PM

I bought an old iPod screen replacement from iFixit a few years ago. I was very pleased with it. I'd recommend going with them because it's guaranteed to be a genuine replacement part.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

yugyug  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2015, 09:59 PM

thanks.

So you think there are knock-off/replicas in the market then? Would have thought it would all come from the same factories in the end, but the converse wouldn't surprise me either..
ππ>_<ππ

farhadd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2015, 12:54 PM

I've replaced several iphone screens over the years (mostly 3GS and 4/4S) and I've found that the ebay parts are fine, although I can't say I've ever bought one from ifixit. I will warn you that some do differ from others with regard to viewing the display through polarized sunglasses (but no one will specify this in listings- it's a gamble). You can view two phones in portrait mode at the same angle and one will be much darker than the other with polarized sunglasses on. But I've seen differences in this behavior even between genuine iphone screens. As far as I know the color of the bezel is irrelevant, you can put a black bezel on a white phone as long as it's the right version of the part for that phone. The bottom line is, if you're buying on ebay just check the seller feedback and use your best judgement.

Thorzdad
Apr 17, 2015, 01:19 PM

I've read stories of Ebay replacement screens having a lower resolution than the OEM screens. So, caveat emptor.

farhadd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2015, 02:50 PM

I've never had any issues with ebay iphone 3 or 4 series screens related to resolution (I've never bought iphone 5 or 6 screens). The iphone 4 retina screens looked great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules