Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB extension cables

USB extension cables
zen
Mar 29, 2004, 05:01 PM

Hi,

I'm having a great deal of difficulty in finding a USB extension cable in my local computer shops that is anything other than beige in colour! I'm just after a male A to female A USB cable to use as an extension cord on a mouse for my iBook.

Can anybody recommend some online retailers that would carry USB cables in other colours? Anything will do (black, white, clear) just not ruddy beige!

Cheers

Zen

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 05:09 PM

Will it actually show?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

zen  (op)
Mar 29, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Will it actually show?
Yep - it's for an extension cable for a mouse on an iBook. The iBook (white) sits on a table (beech top) and the beige is going to be a problem

I've found Macally's retractable USB cable:

http://www.macally.com/spec/speciali...ng/lp_usb.html

...which looks perfect but I'm confused about the connectors. I need male A to female A - but this one says A to B (both male?), but the picture seems to show A to A (again, both male?) with an included A to B adaptor.

I guess I can get an adaptor so I can plug the mouse into the cable? Man, I never thought getting a simple extension cable would be so difficult. Why on earth did Apple put all the ports on the iBook on the left-hand side! 90% of people are right-handed, and the cable of this notebook-sized mouse doesn't reach all the way around the back.

*sigh*

Zen

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 30, 2004, 07:51 AM

Frankly I don't know how you're *not* finding any such cables that are non-beige; around here, they're everywhere. Belkin and everyone else sell mainly black/gray or clear ones. I even have an old bondi blue USB extension.

Keep looking, it shouldn't be too hard!

tooki

P.S. Avoid the roll-up cables: they lack the proper shielding. While that's unlikely to cause problems with a mouse, it's still just a better idea to use proper cables that actually adhere to the standards.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 10:15 AM

you can check on ebay (i got an apple usb extension cord) or get a wireless mouse.

john

Originally posted by zen:
Hi,

I'm having a great deal of difficulty in finding a USB extension cable in my local computer shops that is anything other than beige in colour! I'm just after a male A to female A USB cable to use as an extension cord on a mouse for my iBook.

Can anybody recommend some online retailers that would carry USB cables in other colours? Anything will do (black, white, clear) just not ruddy beige!

Cheers

Zen

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 12:14 AM

Go to pccables.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules