Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Discs eject without reading

Discs eject without reading
vader33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2009, 10:41 PM

My wife has a PB G4 15". No matter what kind of disc is put in the drive, it gets spit out about 3 seconds later. Also, we have a 120 GB external HD that works just fine with our eMac, but no joy with the PB. Any ideas? The PB is about 7 years old. Works great, other than the USB/CD/DVD thing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2009, 02:29 AM

Your DVD drive is probably toast. Slot-loaders have a terrible reputation. Many fail after just a few months. It's no surprise the one in your 7 year old PB has failed too.

P
Jun 17, 2009, 04:15 AM

What happens if you try to boot from a system disc (startup with the "C" key held down)?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2009, 07:56 AM

An aluminium iMac did a similar thing in work last week, after a phonecall to support trying a few things, what eventually worked was turning it off and unplugging it for half an hour. I don't know why or how but this did work and the iMac accepts discs again now. But as yours is a laptop I'm not sure what you would do as the equivalent (turn off and remove the battery for half an hour? )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2009, 09:05 AM

I post this in all threads where MBP/PBs have CD issues - try a CD cleaner, worked wonders for me.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 19, 2009, 02:21 AM

I had the same problem on my MacBook when it was 2.5 years old. The drive was burnt out and got replaced under Apple Care.

To be fair though I used the drive a lot and it didn't surprise me that it went out. That's what Apple Care is for.
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules