Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Problems burning with 27" iMac

Problems burning with 27" iMac
nickw311
Senior User
Nov 11, 2009, 11:14 PM

I just got my new 27" 3.06 C2Duo iMac and I've noticed that everything I burn skips. I have burned a few DVDs using Toast Titanium and both DVDs have had problems and I've burned one CD using iTunes and it skips for most of the disk.

Before I was burning using either my 17" G5 iMac or Core Duo MacBook and never had this problem.

I'm using the same disks as I had on those previous two computers - anyone else having problems?
27" iMac C2D

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 11, 2009, 11:40 PM

Try using different brand DVD/CDs. It's possible that your new super drive doesn't like what you have been using in the past. I've noticed that some Mac optical drives can be picky. For example my PowerMac G5 likes only TDK and Memorex seems to work okay. Some of the other brands I've used don't burn at max speeds. I always got errors when I did so. Also try using a slower burn speed and see if that works.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 01:09 AM

If you aren't using good quality discs, then you're asking for trouble. Cheap DVD-R/+R are false economy.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2009, 01:11 AM

My MBP only likes Memorex and Sony (that I've tried). What brand are you using?

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2009, 01:13 AM

I'm using Memorex disks (CD & DVDs) - I tried burning a DVD at a lower speed and it skipped also.

Maybe I'll try a different brand, hopefully this drive is just picky. Too bad I have like 45 blank DVDs left grrrrrr.
27" iMac C2D

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Nov 12, 2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
My MBP only likes Memorex and Sony (that I've tried). What brand are you using?
My MacBook never had a problem with Memorex disks either.
27" iMac C2D

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2009, 01:21 AM

In my experience, Memorex discs are 2nd tier for quality and consistency. While I've had reasonable luck with them on some machines, I've bad luck with the same discs on other burners. OTOH, back in the day, Apple media was much more reliable and consistent. No, Apple didn't make the media, but it was clear that Apple paid attention to QA for the discs they were sourcing. So, now I never waste my time with Memorex media anymore, due to its lack of consistency.

I've had reasonably good luck with Verbatim of late with DVD+R DL, although I've had problems with some of their other discs before. (I still use Verbatim because it's hard to find good quality DVD+R DL otherwise around here.) OTOH, true Taiyo Yuden for DVD-R usually works great. Sometimes these discs cost twice as much as other brands, but it's worth it.

Beware off counterfeit media too. Buy only from large respectable outlets. I'm told that there's a lot of counterfeit Taiyo Yuden media around.

BTW, note that some Verbatim, Sony, TDK media is Taiyo Yuden, but AFAIK, all of those "name brand" companies source media from multiple manufacturers.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 12, 2009, 06:47 PM

I personally like TDK myself but definitely try out all the brands to see which one your Mac likes. I believe each DVD brand sell small packs but what's crazy is that Eug is right in that a lot of the brand names get their discs from several manufacturers. Some brands are more consistent that others but definitely the no name brands are a "flavor of the month" manufacturer so there is no consistency with them.

P
Nov 13, 2009, 04:44 AM

My experience is that TDK and Verbatim work well with my G5. Maxell used to work well, but they outsourced their production to someone and quality took a major nosedive.

The OPs problems sounds like it might be a manufacturing defect in the Superdrive, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 08:14 AM

Discs that skip? That seems like an odd problem.

After you've p*ssed away a bunch of money on different brands of CDs and DVDs, take it back under warranty.

Apple used to give one blank DVD or CD with its computers. If you did get one and it skips, take it back.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2009, 08:57 AM

Disc skipping is a common problem with bad media, or else iffy media with some burners.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Disc skipping is a common problem with bad media, or else iffy media with some burners.
Noted. (I've never had this problem.)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2009, 01:08 AM

I just burnt a new DVD using the same media and thus far it hasn't skipped. Does it make sense that the burner has to get "broken in"?
27" iMac C2D

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
I just burnt a new DVD using the same media and thus far it hasn't skipped. Does it make sense that the burner has to get "broken in"?
No.

It may just be that the media is borderline.

Forum Links
Forum Rules