Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 4 8 15 16 23 42

4 8 15 16 23 42 (Page 15)
MrsLarry
Senior User
May 12, 2010, 10:25 AM

Last night for the first time since this whole LOST debacle started, I didn't try to figure anything out, I just watched and enjoyed.

Do you think we'll ever know Smokey's name? Anybody have a guess? (FYI - In the Bible, Jacob's twin brother was Esau.)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2010, 10:30 AM

Yeah, they'll give it. I don't know why they're being cock-teases about it. I doubt it's going to be a mind-blowing revelation.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 12, 2010, 09:38 PM

Does anyone else simply not care about smokey and jacob? Could't stand this last episode...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 10:46 PM

The low amount of chatter in here over the last few episodes is a testament to how interesting the wrap-up of this story is.

Personally, I'm just watching the last few episodes for the same reason that I'll finish reading a book that I've invested a lot of time in but I now longer find very interesting.

After lost, I don't think I'll ever watch a serialized show again.

Cold Warrior
May 12, 2010, 11:40 PM

I'm disappointed. Too much side story and the alternate reality makes no sense.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2010, 11:51 PM

How does the alternate reality make no sense? It makes perfect sense.

One reality = bomb went off
Other reality = bomb didn't go off and something else happened

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

andi*pandi
May 13, 2010, 04:07 AM

The whole Jacob origin story was interesting, but it didn't really feel like Lost. It felt like some other story. When they flashed to Kate and Jack with Adam and Eve in the cave, I even gave a start, like, who are these people?

Now instead of wondering about Jacob, I'm going to wonder about his murdererMom and how the why she got there.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The whole Jacob origin story was interesting, but it didn't really feel like Lost. It felt like some other story. When they flashed to Kate and Jack with Adam and Eve in the cave, I even gave a start, like, who are these people?

Now instead of wondering about Jacob, I'm going to wonder about his murdererMom and how the why she got there.
That's exactly the way I felt, even had the same reaction to seeing Kate and Jack.

I hope they don't start making webisodes ala Battlestar Galactica to tie up all the loose ends. It would sure be a way for them to milk this sucker for a while longer. And, oh God, I hope they are not thinking about a movie.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2010, 08:17 AM

Yep, same for me. Presumably, the answer will be that she was also a candidate who was selected to guard the light, without any consideration for explaining how the cycle began.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 13, 2010, 08:29 AM

I liked it. It felt like a very early episode. They probably could have put this episode in season one. The game Locke was playing in the pilot was backgammon. And we finally know who the corpses in the caves belong to.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yep, same for me. Presumably, the answer will be that she was also a candidate who was selected to guard the light, without any consideration for explaining how the cycle began.
Exactly. It's a superficial explanation of what happened, without actually delving into what we *really* want explained.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andi*pandi
May 13, 2010, 08:46 AM

Two other questions: was it intentional that murderMom never aged? The boys grew up and she never got grey etc.

Also, the ghost that appeared to MiB, is that a power of the island? Presumably the same spirit that now haunts everyone?

Was Smokey released when Jacob sent MiB down to the light, or was it always able to go?

AGH@!@$@#$#

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 09:09 AM

And that damn statue. They better explain that.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 13, 2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I hope they don't start making webisodes ala Battlestar Galactica to tie up all the loose ends. It would sure be a way for them to milk this sucker for a while longer. And, oh God, I hope they are not thinking about a movie.
Heh, I was thinking they could practically justify a DHARMA spin-off. Again, how do you spend half a season with DHARMA and not explain anything about them. Such writing skill.

Two other questions: was it intentional that murderMom never aged? The boys grew up and she never got grey etc.
The Stewards of the Island don't age. I'm guessing Jacob stopped aging after he drank that wine. Flocke stopped again because that's not his actual body.

Was Smokey released when Jacob sent MiB down to the light, or was it always able to go?
I think Smokey is a consequence of having a human touch the light. He's definitely part Flocke (else he wouldn't have to obey the rules).

Good luck. They explained the foot, and this is what you got.

I just hope they focus more on answering the early show themes, rather than the later ones.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 13, 2010, 12:59 PM

Also, the ghost that appeared to MiB, is that a power of the island? Presumably the same spirit that now haunts everyone?

Probably MurderMom's opposite, looking for a "way out" by convincing someone else to take the job, basically, what Flocke is doing. Telling good sounding, very convincing lies, appearing as influential dead people, making himself look like "the good guy" and Jacob "the bad guy" because he wants relief/release.

Even MurderMom wanted out of the job, was grateful MiB killed her, releasing her from her life as a slave to the Island.

Meh. Indigenous tribal people. False idols. I'd be ok without any more explanation.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Meh. Indigenous tribal people. False idols. I'd be ok without any more explanation.
I don't think so. It looked very Egyptian to me.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 13, 2010, 06:35 PM

Oh, and here is how LOST will end.

WARNING: SPOILER

How Will Lost End? Like A Scooby-Doo Episode

Cold Warrior
May 13, 2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
How does the alternate reality make no sense? It makes perfect sense.

One reality = bomb went off
Other reality = bomb didn't go off and something else happened
It makes sense as a superficial storyline, but at this point with the series on the fast track to ending, the alt reality doesn't add to the characters or enrich our understanding of them. It's disconnected from any relevance.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2010, 04:06 AM

Yes there are many, many plotholes. Still, I'm going to enjoy these final moments with Lost. It was a fun ride.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 18, 2010, 09:37 AM

My wife doesn't watch. I think these final episodes would be more fun to watch with other people.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 18, 2010, 10:21 AM

I have such enthusiasm and dread for tonight. We're going to see final story lines put into motion, but at the same time, it's the writers last chance to completely lie to us to throw us off the scent. Then we'll probably get blue balls from a massive cliffhanger. Thank god the wait is only til Sunday.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 18, 2010, 10:27 AM

2 hour recap on Sunday before the finale. That seems weird because inevitably, things will be brought up that won't be answered.

In my brilliance, I figured out why the Richard episode re-aired a few weeks back. It was because the Survivor finale was 2 days ago. If they hadn't done that, both finales would've been on the same day.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 18, 2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
If they hadn't done that, both finales would've been on the same day.
If Al-Qaeda truely hates America, it will do something big enough to interrupt the finally.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 12:30 PM

If Al-Qaeda truely hates America, it will do something big enough to interrupt the finally.
That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. And true. I would imagine a nuclear response would be supported by 80% of the population. If it happened to Lost, it could happen to Dancing with the Stars.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2010, 09:16 AM

Weeeeelllll... not as much as I would have expected at this late stage.

And Jack as the final candidate? To expected... which is maybe why it's unexpected... but I bet that's not final. I bet it will end up being Sawyer.

andi*pandi
May 19, 2010, 10:00 AM

Just when you think Ben is a cuddly little kitten, wham, psycho. I wanted to know why Charles had a change of heart, it would give him motive and actually make some sense. And where is Desmond.

I don't think there will be any candidate. I think the island will explode and the altareality will become real.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 19, 2010, 10:25 AM

Good to see the old Ben back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 10:38 AM

Yeah, Ben, He's changed allegiance how many times this season? Two or three? And I'm sure in the end he will either have one more change of heart or reveal this as a ruse.

Speaking of Ben, why did he not kill Widmore back when he had the chance in England? On the plus side, Zoe is finally dead.

Richard - Is it really over? I'm not entirely convinced Frank is dead, either, what with the plane still standing.

Jack: Dear writers, thank you for not dragging him volunteering to become the Next Jacob for more than that 3 seconds it took him to decide.

Claire: MIA

The sideways uni: Seems like there's a lot that has to happen yet there for it to be ready to do whatever it is Desmond is planning. For a moment I thoguht we were gonna get a "3 years later..." if Locke went under the knife, but maybe letting go isn't so much about going under the knife and gettign to walk again as much as just the symbolic act.

-Q-
May 19, 2010, 10:43 AM

I think Ben wanted to protect the island, which is his real motivation for shooting Widmore. As to why he didn't kill him in England, there was some mention of "rules" that prevented it. But I think he was also wanting Widmore to feel the pain he felt at losing a daughter, hence Ben's goal to kill Penny.

And I hope Richard isn't done. That would have been a lame way to go.

I'm still holding onto the theory that the true caretaker of the island is Hurley. He's the one that's interacted with Jacob the most, and ran into the numbers, which started this whole thing.

Some explanation of Dharma would be nice.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I think Ben wanted to protect the island, which is his real motivation for shooting Widmore.
The motivation I think the writers were giving us was the sudden rush of emotion from finding Alex's grave. But otherwise, if you want to protect the island, killing the guy Jacob brought in seems like a pretty ass-backwards way of doing so.

As to why he didn't kill him in England, there was some mention of "rules" that prevented it. But I think he was also wanting Widmore to feel the pain he felt at losing a daughter, hence Ben's goal to kill Penny.
If its the former, that makes no sense thanks to this episode. I think the latter played a part.

I'm still holding onto the theory that the true caretaker of the island is Hurley. He's the one that's interacted with Jacob the most, and ran into the numbers, which started this whole thing.
Plausible.

Some explanation of Dharma would be nice.
Don't forget the entire fertility/pregnancy thing.

So I imagine with Widmore dead, that whole slew of questions is now forever a mystery (the most relevant one probably being what the hell is the Black Rock Ledger?).

-Q-
May 19, 2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The motivation I think the writers were giving us was the sudden rush of emotion from finding Alex's grave. But otherwise, if you want to protect the island, killing the guy Jacob brought in seems like a pretty ass-backwards way of doing so.
True, to a point. But Widmore said Desmond was a fail safe and to unleash him if MIB had a chance of getting off the island. It may be that Ben killed him in the hopes that he would prevent Widmore from giving the information on how to destroy the island to MIB.

If its the former, that makes no sense thanks to this episode. I think the latter played a part.
I'm sure part of the motivation is revenge for Alex. But it might also be motivation for his desire to protect the island. It is her final resting place.

Don't forget the entire fertility/pregnancy thing.
I was wondering about that when Jacob told Kate she was no longer a candidate due to her being a mother. I did enjoy Jacob's line about it just being a line made of chalk.

So I imagine with Widmore dead, that whole slew of questions is now forever a mystery (the most relevant one probably being what the hell is the Black Rock Ledger?).
Right now, my list of questions I want answered is running about 50/50. Want to know what the Black Rock Ledger is, Dharma and why were Sawyer and Juliette getting shot at in the outrigger?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 11:51 AM

Right now, my list of questions I want answered is running about 50/50. Want to know what the Black Rock Ledger is, Dharma and why were Sawyer and Juliette getting shot at in the outrigger?
Yeah, I have no recollection of the outrigger shoo-out, but apparently it left its mark on quite a few people. Bad news, dude:
Okay, finally, I have to ask, simply because it's been driving me nuts for a year and a half: what's going on with showing the other half of the outrigger shootout?

CC: The outrigger shootout is not something we're bending around in gyrations so we can solve it. In the grand scheme of the show, that is a fairly obscure piece of the show. It is your particular obsession...

DL: ...and you're not alone in it.

CC: You're not alone in it. And yes, it would have been great if we had had the opportunity to close the time loop. But you can't get everything done and keeping the narrative going in a straight line. This is one of those things where we made a very conscious choice to ask, "What are the big questions? And most importantly, what are the paths of these characters? Where do they lead?" And we followed those paths and tried not to trip ourselves up getting too diverted from that. We felt that that's the thing that's ultimately going to make the finale work or not work. We got to the point where we made the finale we wanted to make, that was our approach, and I think it was the only approach we could take. We sat here in my office, had breakfast every day for six years, talked about the show, and we used this gut check methodology, where if we both loved something and thought it was cool, that would go in. We applied that same methodology to the finale, and that was the only way we could do it. We came up with a finale that we thought was cool, that was emotional and one we really liked. That's the best we could do.

DL: When we wrote that scene and somebody started shooting at them, we knew exactly who was shooting at them. That is not a dangling thread that we don't know the answer to. That being said, as we started talking about paying that off this season, it felt like the episode was at the service of closing the time loop, as opposed to what the characters might actually be doing in that scenario. It never felt organic. We decided we would rather take our lumps from the people who couldn't scratch that itch than to produce an episode that was in service of putting people in an outrigger and getting shot at.

You put people in a lot of outriggers this season. It feels, frankly, like you're taunting me.

DL: We can't entirely deny that we're taunting you.

CC: Honestly, though, the logistics of getting all the participants in the outriggers in the configuration that was on the A-side of the time loop was actually really daunting.

DL: Considering half of them had been killed off

CC: It's not like we didn't want to do it. Like Damon says, it was just too much of a narrative deviation to do it.
Exclusive interview: Lost producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse talk Across the Sea - HitFix.com

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 19, 2010, 01:02 PM

I was wondering about that when Jacob told Kate she was no longer a candidate due to her being a mother. I did enjoy Jacob's line about it just being a line made of chalk.
How was Kate a candidate at all?? I didn't see her name on the wall? Did you? She doesn't have a number. (and if she does it's not 4, 18, 15, 16, 23 or 42 - unless she's #108)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 01:07 PM

I'd look it up, but I don't even remember her last name.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2010, 01:08 PM

I'm not entirely convinced Frank is dead, either, what with the plane still standing.
The interest in the plane has bugged me. Who would think, especially a pilot, that a jet could possible take off without a runway?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 01:11 PM

I thought where they landed looked like a makeshift strip of bare land. I can't say I paid close attention on that note.

andi*pandi
May 19, 2010, 01:14 PM

How was Kate a candidate at all?? I didn't see her name on the wall? Did you? She doesn't have a number. (and if she does it's not 4, 18, 15, 16, 23 or 42 - unless she's #108)
I think everyone on the island has been a candidate. Jacob says she was crossed off because she was a mother-figure to Aaron, and presumably she wouldn't want to spend eternity away from him.

Although Jacob's expression when he said it was just chalk, was a little deadpan.

The plane landed, not crashed, so therefore there's some kind of runway. Wasn't that one of the things Sawyer/Kate were forced to do, work on clearing land?

I enjoyed Ana-Lucia's appearance last night in the alterverse.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 01:19 PM

Apparently she was on the Lighthouse wheel, where she was crossed off.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 19, 2010, 01:31 PM

Someone named Wallace was #108.

-Q-
May 19, 2010, 01:51 PM

The last name of Austen (Kate) was assigned number 51, so she's not one of "The Numbers" that's been floating around since the beginning of the series.

A good tally of the outstanding questions remaining:

50 Questions Lost Really Does Need To Answer - Lost - io9

-Q-
May 19, 2010, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I have no recollection of the outrigger shoo-out, but apparently it left its mark on quite a few people. Bad news, dude:

Exclusive interview: Lost producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse talk Across the Sea - HitFix.com
Well, that's bad news, indeed.

They should seriously have as a bonus feature on the DVD a discussion of all the unanswered questions and what they wanted to do with the plot points but couldn't due to whatever reason.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 19, 2010, 01:54 PM

Here's a thought: A few episodes ago, when Flocke rescued Jack on the beach, he said "You're with me now." This essentially, turned out to mean nothing, as he later turned on him by dumping him in the water at the sub.

It would, however, be a great bit of foreshadowing/wordplay, if at the end it really is just Flocke and Jack on the island. Hell, Jack could say it to a trapped Flocke in the end.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 19, 2010, 02:05 PM

Hell, Jack could say it to a trapped Flocke in the end.
Oh, I like that.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2010, 01:12 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm rooting for Smokey. Sure he's brutal, sure he's nasty and manipulative - but compared to Jacob and the insano-woman who raised them, he's practically a saint.

Go Smokey go!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2010, 02:48 PM

More LOST humor:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 02:57 PM

So apparently there's going to be 20 minutes of additional answers on the Season 6 DVD.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 03:17 PM

That's low

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 03:18 PM

Can you blame them? This season has been so jam-packed with action and answers they had no where else to put it.

andi*pandi
May 21, 2010, 03:43 PM

they expect us to buy them? hahahahahahahahaha

paul w
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 04:12 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules