Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should i go for a used PB G4 400?

Should i go for a used PB G4 400?
mac convert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2002, 07:12 PM

I already have a Dual G4 533 Tower and this notebook would just be used to do light productivity and web browsing. I really want a PB over an Ibook , but cant afford a new one. Would a 400 cut it? Or would the bad airport reception and slow clock be a bad thing to go for? should i just opt for a Ibook DVD instead?

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2002, 08:43 PM

For "light productivity and web browsing" I think a PB G4 400 would be more than adequate. I have one as my full-time main machine and I have no problems with the performance. I use airport every single day as my only connection to the net, and the range has never really been a problem . Granted, I'm not switching back and forth between a DP machine, so I can't really compare the apparent hit on performance generally, but as far as your concerns about being usable for the web and "light productivity," I'd say not to worry about it...at all.
Backup your Backup

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2002, 09:02 PM

i love my powerbook g4/400, but it's my main computer. if i had a fast desktop, i'd go to the extreme and opt for a sub-notebook....in this case, the ibook 12"/dvd. great for plane travel (movie watching) and great around the house/backyard with it's awesome airport reception.

john

buyanyware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2002, 12:40 AM

I've got a TiG4-400mhz, which I use as my main machine. I'm running OS 10.1.3, it runs pretty well in my opinion. I use it for over 8 hours a day. Doing web browsing, light productivity, email, photoshop work, downloading massive amounts of MP3's thru audiogalaxy satelite, occasional DVD Studio Pro work,etc...I couldn't be happier with the machine. I've never had a problem using it on planes either. All I need to do is upgrade the HD one of these days, it still has the stock 10gb drive. I keep just about everything I own on my 2 Maxtor 80gb drives. I'd like to have a bit more space on the Powerbook though.

Go for the Ti400. You'll be happy you decided on the G4 vs. the G3 iBook. Just make sure to buy plenty of RAM, makes all the difference in the world.

Just out of curiosity, how much are you paying for the Ti you found?

Forgot to add that I also use an airport connection with my Ti. I don't have any problems with the reception. Although I've got 2 base stations in the house, so that helps.

[ 03-26-2002: Message edited by: buyanyware ]
"It's one thing when his head shakes when he's sitting down. When his head shakes when he's standing up, you know he's angry." -- Legislator speaking about Gov. Ventura of Minnesota

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2002, 01:34 PM

I've been thinking about adding a low cost laptop to complement my new iMac.
If I found a G4/400 for a cheap price, I think it may be a better route to go than say a 12" iBook 600.
Although I'm not sure which is faster. From what I've heard, G4 runs OSX much better, but if you bump up the RAM on the iBook, it runs okay as well.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by satchmo:
<STRONG>I've been thinking about adding a low cost laptop to complement my new iMac.
If I found a G4/400 for a cheap price, I think it may be a better route to go than say a 12" iBook 600.
Although I'm not sure which is faster. From what I've heard, G4 runs OSX much better, but if you bump up the RAM on the iBook, it runs okay as well.</STRONG>
You have to bump up the RAM as well in the TiBook, otherwise it won't be as fast an an iBook with good RAM... in os x

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Mar 27, 2002, 04:00 PM

I think you would be happy regardless of which route you take. My friend has the same system you have (dual 533) and an iBook 600. He thinks it's great, and he does more than just productivity work (programming and such). My Ti 400 had become my main computer. I also have a PIII 800, which is just acting as storage now. I use mine for everything under the sun like coding, Office, some Photoshop, and lots of iTunes. As long as you add some ram and have a HDD bigger than 10GB you'll be a happy camper with either machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules