Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poll for folks with 20GB Travelstar drive in a Powerbook

Poll for folks with 20GB Travelstar drive in a Powerbook
jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 01:33 AM

Hi all,
I've read that these drives can become quite noisy (more than average) over time.
Can those who have them aver or deny?
Thanks

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2001, 01:53 AM

I'd say that this is true. I have a 20GB travelstar that replaced a 6Gb travelstar that had become very very noisy. While the 20GB model was considerably better in the beginning, and it has yet to get as bad as the old one, it has become pretty noisy in the past few months. I suppose I've had it for around 5 or 6 months.

Felix
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2001, 03:31 AM

Yes, I can confirm this. After 2 -3 months it started becoming quite noisy. I hope to replace it by a bigger one with liquid bearings soon.

I have the DJSA-220 in my Pismo 500, it is original equipment.
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

chingwei
Jun 29, 2001, 11:58 AM

Oh No! I just bought a 20GB Travelstar!!! (like last week)

I got it to replace my stock Fujitsu 6gb in my pismo 400. Upon installing the travelstar, I did notice something weird, which was that when the travelstar was flipped upside down (and back again), you could hear a metal "clink" sound very clearly, and this was not present on the Fujitsu...it sounded broken, but I think I read someone else who noticed the same sound, so I guess it's normal.

Anyway, I installed it, and the idle speed is WAAAYYY quieter than the Fujitsu drive...WAY quieter, almost silent. BUT when read/writes are taking place, the noise is pretty noticeable, quite crisp, loud, and "click"-y (do you know what I'm talking about? I guess it's the seeking noise...)it's a bit unnerving...although it could just be that the seeks are much more noticeable because the idle/spinning noise is so silent...

Anyway, I'm not looking forward to 2-3 months down the road...that SUCKS!

Well, I guess if nothing else, the performance of the drive is about as best as you can get, so I should be happy with that... (I love IBM drives)

-Ching-Wei

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 12:09 PM

I've heard that the 10 gig drive has only one platter while the 20 and 32 have 2 and 3, respectively. Could this be why they tend to get noisy (where the 10 does not?)?

catman

jules  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2001, 01:03 PM

Do you think if the RAM is above 512MG it would be quieter or eventually make no difference?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2001, 03:45 PM

ram should make no difference.
hard drives...spin, some are noisy.
the ibm drive in my (lamented) 2400c was quiet for 2 1/2 years.
the ibm drive in my pismo started shrieking after 6 weeks; apple replaced it with an even louder ibm drive...
now a quieter one (for how long..?)

so some of this is luck...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2001, 05:47 PM

I bought a 20 Gb IBM Travelstar drive new about a month ago for $113 & bought a 3GB VST firewire drive for $97. I then put the 20 in the Pismo the 10 in the VST case & the 3 GB in my 2300c.

Great improvements on 3 drives for =~ $200

The Travelstar is completely quiet sof far. I hope it stays that way.

Steve

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 01:20 AM

My 20 GB Travelstar was initially quiet, and has stayed nearly at that level since I put it in around February. Amusingly enough, I replaced my old drive (4 GB Toshiba) with the Travelstar because of the noise that the Toshiba made.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2001, 01:26 AM

Hey jules Stop by, and say hello, ok
MacNet2

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Bugs Bunny ]

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 04:45 PM

I replaced my pismos 6 Gig drive because the noise was driving me NUTS. My office is in the basement and you could hear the drive noise at the top of the stairs. Now that was one noisy drive.

So, installed the TravelStar 20Gig drive (02/25/01) and booted my pismo to the sound of blessed silence. The drive WAS virtually silent. Now, four month later the drive has become noticeable. Not nearly as noisy as the old 6 Gig drive but there is now a noticeable noise. I am just afraid that the volume of the drive noise will increase over time.

I think the issue is not so much the drive itself but the heat the drive is exposed to over time. The internals of the pismo get quite hot and I think these drives were never tested in this environment for long periods of time. I don't know if it is the bearings that are making the noise or what.

I too am looking forward to the long term results of the new TravelStar drives that have the liquid bearing.
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2001, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by chingwei:
<STRONG>Oh No! I just bought a 20GB Travelstar!!! (like last week)

I got it to replace my stock Fujitsu 6gb in my pismo 400. Upon installing the travelstar, I did notice something weird, which was that when the travelstar was flipped upside down (and back again), you could hear a metal "clink" sound very clearly, and this was not present on the Fujitsu...it sounded broken, but I think I read someone else who noticed the same sound, so I guess it's normal. </STRONG>

Yes, that sound you heard is normal. All TravelStar drives make that sound when you twist them around.

<STRONG>Anyway, I installed it, and the idle speed is WAAAYYY quieter than the Fujitsu drive...WAY quieter, almost silent. BUT when read/writes are taking place, the noise is pretty noticeable, quite crisp, loud, and "click"-y (do you know what I'm talking about? I guess it's the seeking noise...)it's a bit unnerving...although it could just be that the seeks are much more noticeable because the idle/spinning noise is so silent...</STRONG>

I too was impressed with the boost in performance. I realized a 21% increase in READ/WRITE performance over the old 6Gig drive.

<STRONG>Anyway, I'm not looking forward to 2-3 months down the road...that SUCKS! </STRONG>

I think the noise issue is related to heat exposure. The more you use your pismo (8 hours a day for me) the sooner the drive will become more noticable.

<STRONG>Well, I guess if nothing else, the performance of the drive is about as best as you can get, so I should be happy with that... (I love IBM drives)
-Ching-Wei</STRONG>
Yes, IBM does make the best portable computer drives. I am still impressed with the 20Gig drive and I may upgrade to one of the larger drives with liquid bearings in the near future.

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2001, 10:18 AM

man I just put one in yesterday and it unmounted to day I'm back to the external USB v slow I have posted a thread about it the date is always wrong do I have to replace something else like vRAM or something?

qnctv.com
Take a look...

webbery
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2001, 10:34 PM

Actually, mine's a 30GB, but I've had no problems with it. OTOH, it's only been in a couple of months . . .

cfoster611
Jul 5, 2001, 10:24 PM

My stock 20 GB has gotten alot louder since I got my TiBook in April. Plus, the fan in the back goes on a lot more often.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2001, 11:35 PM

I have noticed any particularly loud noises from my 30 gig Travelstar (yeah, i know it's not a 20 gig, but I'd assume they use generally the same mechanisms), and i've been using it for just about a year. Would there be a real difference between the two drives?

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 05:23 PM

The 12 g and 6g Travelstars have also suffered from getting real noisy after only a few months of average use. This seems to be a documented problem that goes back a ways.

My experience is that Apple will do a warrenty replacement of noisy drives if you ask. It has also been my experience that when Apple does do a replacement, they will replace with a drive that is a dfferent brand than the one that you sent in for replacement.

I'm absolutly convinced that IBM has gotten a batch of bad bearings that fail quite easily with only limited use.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 08:05 PM

just upgraded my pbg4 400/10gig to a 20gig. both are ibm travelstores. guess apple uses 10gig drives from ibm as well as toshiba.

i have to say, the 10gig was a tad bit quieter in terms of "thunks." are most people's increased volumes from the thunks or spinning? spinning is currently very quiet.

john

Titania's Oberon
Nov 20, 2001, 12:47 PM

How about the new "liquid" bearing TravelStar 20GB?

Has anyone been getting the noise increase with that new model?

(hopefully the fact that last post above was months ago is a good sign, but...

Anyone who's had the "liquid Travelstar" for months found it getting noisier?

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by chingwei:
<STRONG>
I got it to replace my stock Fujitsu 6gb in my pismo 400. Upon installing the travelstar, I did notice something weird, which was that when the travelstar was flipped upside down (and back again), you could hear a metal "clink" sound very clearly, and this was not present on the Fujitsu...it sounded broken, but I think I read someone else who noticed the same sound, so I guess it's normal.

Anyway, I installed it, and the idle speed is WAAAYYY quieter than the Fujitsu drive...WAY quieter, almost silent. BUT when read/writes are taking place, the noise is pretty noticeable, quite crisp, loud, and "click"-y (do you know what I'm talking about? I guess it's the seeking noise...)it's a bit unnerving...although it could just be that the seeks are much more noticeable because the idle/spinning noise is so silent
-Ching-Wei</STRONG>
i have an external firewire drive with a 20gb travelstar in it and i have noticed the same clicking sound too. i don't think it is anything to worry about, even when the drive is doing something, it has no effect on performance.

i have not noticed the drive getting louder over the past 4-5 months, although it does sit on top of my g3 tower.

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2001, 02:41 PM

I've now had experience with the 10 gig Toshiba (no liquid bearings, stock on many original Ti's and recent iBooks) as well as the "GN" (liquid bearing based) Travelstars, both the 20 gig and 30 gig models.

The access-related "clicking" noises are more noticable on both the Travelstars compared to the Toshiba while the spin up noise is much much quieter.

I note that Toshiba has recently come up with liquid-bearing models and has incorporated that technology into a 40 gig 2-platter drive (they also make a 20 gig version). I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's bought either of these models how the access and spin-related sounds compare to the modern Travelstars. Note that Toshiba also makes 30 and 40 gig non-liquid bearing drives as well so you've got to make sure that you have the right model. the 40 gig model has teh best G-shock ratings for a multiplatter 9.5 mm drive that I've found.

Here are the links to the drives:
catman

<notloggedin>
Nov 20, 2001, 06:02 PM

I've got the 20 gig Travelstar and the high pitched whine is f'n unbearable..its such an unnatural sound I feel like its actually causing damage to my cell structure.

PS..it started after about 2 months

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2001, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by &lt;notloggedin&gt;:
<STRONG>I've got the 20 gig Travelstar and the high pitched whine is f'n unbearable..its such an unnatural sound I feel like its actually causing damage to my cell structure.

PS..it started after about 2 months</STRONG>

Hey everyone, it is the 30GN model (by the way 30GN is the model and not the size) that uses the Liquid Bearings.

Make sure you get the 30GN model and not the 20GN model. Both models come in 20Gig and 30Gig sizes.

I have a brand new 20GN 20Gig drive compliments of IBM because my old 20GN 20Gig drive started to produce that familiar unbearable load bearing noise.

I tried to get IBM to replace it with the 30GN model but they said no way. So, I explained to IBM that they will just have to send me antoher drive in about 6 months. Unless I buy a Ti PB.

By the way, the new Ti PB's all ship with Liquid Bearings Hard Drives.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2001, 07:57 PM

i have the 20 since april. it's quite nice.

Titania's Oberon
Nov 20, 2001, 09:11 PM

But, to the point of this forum thread...

Is it nicely quiet?

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 09:26 AM

Hi,

I had an IBM 12GB on a Pismo. After about 1 year use the HD was very noisy.

The PB need some repairs and the HD was replaced with a Toshiba 12GB, at the begining it was very very quiet. Each minute comes lauder and it surpassed the noisy IBM noise levels.

Installed APM Tuner but only helps to sleep the HD, then wakeups noiser and full speed rotation. Maybe it has some identity problem and wants to become a 5400 RPM HD.

Does anyone knows how noisy are the Fujitsu HDs?

Regards
Darkmatter

Juggler
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2001, 05:17 PM

Installed a 20Gb IBM Travelstar HD on my PBG3 (bronze) about three months ago. So far so good , much quieter than the 4.5 Fujitsi HD it replaced.

A.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2001, 04:55 AM

My Pismo 400 came with a Travelstar 10 gig that failed with the click of death somewhat like some of the old Zip drives. They replaced it with a Toshiba that eventually (10 months) became a real whiner. I got the 20 gig Travelstar and put the 10 gig into a TransIntl FW case. This was about 4 months ago and alls quiet. But this thing does click once in a while...oh well.

PeteWK

Pismo_User
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 05:30 AM

Ho Ho HO!
In fact, the existence of this forum is precisely to help to do the right choice isn't? So the 1st rule must be:
"Before to buy a new drive for my wonderful-lovely-precious Powerbook ;-), I have to see Macnn forums".
It's just a joke but a it could help!

So, I'am not the teacher here and I just want to say that I recently bought a new hard drive Travelstar 30GN for my Pismo. It's really incredible. When I finish the installation, I couldn't know if the drive was spinning or not! Really. Evidently, you hear the "rrrrr" of the heads acceses, but not so much.
So, I recommend this drive, I just pay 200$ for it. If you could wait, wait because there were new Travelstar announced. (40 or 60Gbs)
Good luck!
PS. I could not talking about the future noises of my drive, I have to wait too :-)

Luv Calm Quiet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 11:48 AM

Hey, guys: Help!!! Please be a little more specific. Are you SURE the noise and other problems happened with the NEW liquid-bearings model 30GN Travelstar (whether 20MB or 30MB)?
OWC has a great price on them, and their decription makes it clear it's THIS Travelstar they're offering:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...tem=IBM07N6713

I'd love to snatch this up to enliven my Wallstreet... unless anyone's got warnings about it.

Anybody... ?

<Raman-nopwd>
Nov 22, 2001, 02:18 PM

My toshiba 12 gig in my rev a pismo500 sounds like a chainsaw!

funny - i just pulled off the keyboard and pressed down on the top of the drive and it quited it down a tad. I pressed more and I realized that the top of the casing was touching something spinning!! they should maybe protect against that - no?

My gf has a new ibook 600 and you CANNOT hear the drive AT ALL.

Anyway - what's a good drive to replace my chainsaw with? I have to send in my powerbook because the screen's clutch needs to be replaced because there's alot of play in the pivot action so i'm going to complain about the hard drive, too.. - should i back up everything or will they transfer all my data when they put in a new drive?

<Raman-nopwd>
Nov 22, 2001, 02:20 PM

My toshiba 12 gig in my rev a pismo500 sounds like a chainsaw!

funny - i just pulled off the keyboard and pressed down on the top of the drive and it quited it down a tad. I pressed more and I realized that the top of the casing was touching something spinning!! they should maybe protect against that - no?

Anyway - what's a good drive to replace my chainsaw with? I have to send in my powerbook because the screen's clutch needs to be replaced because there's alot of play in the pivot action so i'm going to complain about the hard drive, too.. - should i back up everything or will they transfer all my data when they put in a new drive?

The Dude
Banned
Nov 22, 2001, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Raman-nopwd&gt;:
<STRONG>My toshiba 12 gig in my rev a pismo500 sounds like a chainsaw!

Anyway - what's a good drive to replace my chainsaw with? I have to send in my powerbook because the screen's clutch needs to be replaced because there's alot of play in the pivot action so i'm going to complain about the hard drive, too.. - should i back up everything or will they transfer all my data when they put in a new drive?</STRONG>
Back it up. Apple will only back it up for you if you pay them. And they usually require an arm and a leg...or two.

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2001, 04:39 PM

The 30GN model of the Travelstar (whether 20 or 30 gigs) _has_ liquid bearings. There are a bunch of other drives floating around out there that are this size but don't have liquid bearings.

Go to the ibm site and surf around. You will be able to find a spec page that covers all this.

Be careful about picking up drives on eBay though b/c there's a lot of the older models being sold. Copy the model #'s from the IBM site and double check them before you buy.

Don't buy any 12.5 mm model (aside from the 48 gig version) if you want liwuid bearings.

As for OWC, they are completely up to date and shipping only LB 30GN versions of the 20 and 30 gig models.

I don't know if the 40 gig Toshiba they are offering (TransIntl has one too) is the liquid bearing one though.

catman

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2001, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Luv Calm Quiet:
<STRONG>Hey, guys: Help!!! Please be a little more specific. Are you SURE the noise and other problems happened with the NEW liquid-bearings model 30GN Travelstar (whether 20MB or 30MB)?
OWC has a great price on them, and their decription makes it clear it's THIS Travelstar they're offering:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...tem=IBM07N6713

I'd love to snatch this up to enliven my Wallstreet... unless anyone's got warnings about it.

Anybody... ?</STRONG>
No, the 30GN models are very very quite. The 30GN model is the drive to get. The 20GN models do NOT use liquid bearings and after time (about six months) and long hours of use will produce that annoying bearing noise that could lead to total bearing and drive failure.

Just remember that you want a 30GN model.

Forum Links
Forum Rules