Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question Re: Laptop Coolpad Podium

Question Re: Laptop Coolpad Podium
milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 03:01 PM

Now, these are nice looking stands for the powerbook, but are they any more efficient at cooling your powerbook than say, a small book (currently using Jane Austen) strategically placed at the end of the Powerbook G3. I just want to know if they have any other features which would make a purchase "necessary," ahem . . .
Thanks,
M.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

uberden
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2001, 03:36 PM

They swivel 360 degrees. Other than that....

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2001, 03:53 PM

The CoolPad podium raises your PowerBook much more than just using a plain book (much better airflow). The 360 degree pivot is nice. It allows you to rotate the PowerBook for displaying the screen to other people if needed.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by imacaholic:
<STRONG>The CoolPad podium raises your PowerBook much more than just using a plain book (much better airflow). The 360 degree pivot is nice. It allows you to rotate the PowerBook for displaying the screen to other people if needed.</STRONG>
Depends on the book. Now if I used Samuel RIchardson's Clarissa I could do much better than the podium, though it'd probably be a bit unstable. Seriously though, that might be true of the podium, but what about the traveler - that thing looks completely useless, like there's a cm of space created.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2

<Steve>
Jul 4, 2001, 08:50 PM

I bought a Podium Coolpad last week and I love it. The little legs, or stands, stack up in 1/2" increments similar to Leggo blocks. You can slant your notebook any where from 1/2" up to 3". Plus the whole thing then swivels in a complete circle. I don't know if it keeps the notebook cooler, but I'm betting it does, it's just downright handy. Pull the little legs off, and it lays flat. Fits right inside my bag.

Well worth the $29.95 at &lt;www.roadtools.com&gt;. The "Podium" model is only available online.

This is sounding like a comercial! But I can't help it. It's great!

Steve Buttram [email protected]

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2001, 06:48 PM

The Podium Coolpad is recommended for Ti's and other wide laptops. The regular Coolpad is for other laptops. There is also a Traveler Coolpad that you can fit in your laptop bag.

Choose your Coolpad Flavor!

I like that my fan doesn't ever come on when I'm using the CoolPad. RoadTools claims that you get better performance for this reason.
everything you need to know about me is at CourtneyP.com

JaredTown.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by cpatubo:
<STRONG>The Podium Coolpad is recommended for Ti's and other wide laptops. The regular Coolpad is for other laptops. There is also a Traveler Coolpad that you can fit in your laptop bag.

Choose your Coolpad Flavor!

I like that my fan doesn't ever come on when I'm using the CoolPad. RoadTools claims that you get better performance for this reason.</STRONG>
This Coolpad is great. I bought one right after I bought my G4Ti... This think is great, you can now set the Ti on a bed, leather couch, autumn, or anything that would usually constrict airflow to the bottom of the Ti and make the fan come on every five minutes. I have a Samsonite laptop bag, and the podium slips right in the back where you would normally put files. I don;t know how any Ti owner would go without!

-Jared
-Jared Folsom
Jaredtown.com, a dot
com company

PowerMac G4 Dual 1GHz Tower
1.5 GB RAM
80GB IBM HDD
Superdrive
23" Apple Cinema Display
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 08:08 PM

hi folks,

are you using the "regular" cool pad or the "podium"? i know the podium is larger and fits the g4 better, but if i just wanted one product, that would also fit into a laptop bag....shouldn't i just get the regular or travel?

in other words, is the extra $5-10 worth it for the podium?

john

ps. i'm currently just using 2 erasers at the rear corners to cut down on fan usage =)

milhaus  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2001, 10:39 PM

No one has yet explained to me why these stands are better than a book placed at the end of the powerbook, except for the fact that they pivot 360 degrees . . . Frankly, I don't see how, without any fan mechanism on their own, they would lead to less fan usage than the space the book (or erasers) create underneath the PB. Wouldn't the erasers be more space efficient as well (i.e. provide more airspace (given the erasers were the same height as the stand's legs) because there's no sheet of plastic or metal attached to it?) Please, someone convince me there's a reason that makes this a must have product, other than cool factor. . .

SteveB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2001, 11:42 PM

Speaking of the "Podium" Coolpad, I don't think anyone has said it is better at keeping the Powerbook cooler than a book. In my case, it's just a whole lot easier and more efficient to use. There is no sheet of plastic or sheet of metal touching the bottom of the Powerbook. Those 4 little legs are topped with a very soft and sticky rubber to keep the Powerbook from sliding off. Except for where those 4 little legs make contact, the bottom of the Powerbook is wide open, thus allowing (in my belief), better airflow. Nothing scientific about it, just an opinion. If you'd rather use a book, by all means, do so.

Steve Buttram [email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules