Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > I'm a Girl, I have small ears DANGIT!

I'm a Girl, I have small ears DANGIT!
lipstick.smears
Aug 4, 2003, 08:18 AM

The original thread in the Lounge got locked so I am here trying to find an answer to my problem.

Problem: I just got a brand new 3rd Gen iPod and the ear buds are too big for me. I have small ears and I need a headphone that is not too bulky. I would like some clip ons but they would again need to be smaller. I would like to find some in white or grey so they match the iPod somewhat.

So any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 08:59 AM

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 08:59 AM

The Sony MDR-EX71SL Earbuds can be purchased in White, and come w/ multiple sized earbuds to fit even the smallest ear. I own these and can personally say they sound amazing and fit very well in my ear. I purchased them through this exact site and got great service.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

-Q-
Aug 4, 2003, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I like Sony headphones:

http://products.sony.co.uk/productde...ch=headphones+
Those are the exact earphones I use with my iPod and they're great. Very comfortable (I hate earbuds) and have great sound. I'd recommend them without question.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 09:51 AM

I use these:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw1612.asp

Pretty small, and they sound amazing. Only problem is the price...

-Q-
Aug 4, 2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Only problem is the price...
US$160? Ouch.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 01:12 PM

I use the Sony EX70's (now updated to the EX71's mentioned above)...they sound like the perfect solution for you with the different sized buds included....and they really do sound great too.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

billybob128
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 05:16 PM

i use the B&O ones too and to be fair i think that the price is justified they sound amazing but they are slightly large...maybe ill grow hmm... go for wat you like and fit and good luck on the search

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 05:44 PM

how much are you looking to spend?

are you willing to sacrifice sound quality for the color of the cable?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2003, 10:22 AM

I find the colour of the headphones irrelevant. It's not as if I hold up the iPod anywhere near the headphones at any time when they're actually in use.

Open up your colour options, and you'll open up your headphone and budget options greatly.

lipstick.smears  (op)
Aug 5, 2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I like Sony headphones:

http://products.sony.co.uk/productde...ch=headphones+
I bought these the other day and they dont fit on my ears very well.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by lipstick.smears:
I bought these the other day and they dont fit on my ears very well.
Please post here if you do find any that fit well. I have small ears too, and am looking for earbuds. I have a pair of over the ear headphones now, but I would prefer earbuds since they're less bulky.

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
I use the Sony EX70's (now updated to the EX71's mentioned above)...they sound like the perfect solution for you with the different sized buds included....and they really do sound great too.
I too have the EX70s and they are very comfortable and do sound fantastic. Because they actually sit in your "ear hole" itself rather than jamming into the wider part outside, you'll have no problems with fit, especially as they come with different size attachments. The sound is far superior to traditional earbuds with much better bass in particular. However, and this is quite important I think, they do shut out all outside sound, and I mean all. It is like wearing earplugs. Of course this is what makes the sound so good to some extent, but it also means they're not to be recommended for when you need to be aware of whats going on around you. eg. when jogging. Related to that, can anyone recommend any good headphones for jogging (ie - light, reasonable sound, don't cut off outside sound too much)?

lipstick.smears  (op)
Aug 7, 2003, 12:47 PM

Yeah those look nice but I cant justify paying 50.00 for a pair of headphones

hui
Aug 7, 2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I use these:

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/sw1612.asp

Pretty small, and they sound amazing. Only problem is the price...
lipstick, i dont recommend you get these headphone. I say this as my ears do hurt after a while when i put the iPods ear buds in my ear. Having experienced the B&O headphone, they hurt as well. I do have to admit it looks extremely stylish.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 11:05 PM

After reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and buy some Sony MDR-EX71SLs. Picked them up for US$39.50 on eBay. I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive - probably in around a weeks time.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2003, 11:12 PM

You only get what you pay for - especially with audio equipment. I spent around AU$45 on some Sony earphones about 2 years ago hoping to improve on the ones that came with my mini disc (didn't have an iPod then) and although they were a slight improvement the ones that came with the iPod were better and most people consider them to be not so good. Moral of this story is bite the bullet and fork out the cash (like I just have) . You (or you husband) paid top dollar for your iPod you may as well get the most out of it.

phabfive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 10:54 PM

Try the Shure E2's. Much better than the sony's...

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 05:21 AM

These ones are even smaller - but even more expensive (they do noise cancelling too)

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scite...iew030606.html

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by phabfive:
Try the Shure E2's. Much better than the sony's...
She's reluctant on investing 50$ so the Shure's are not even an option to consider. But if I were you I would get the EX70/71, best value for money IMO.

Strange, I remember posting in this topic before (telling something about the EX70/70 but my post seems to have disappeard ah well..)

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2003, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
After reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and buy some Sony MDR-EX71SLs. Picked them up for US$39.50 on eBay. I'll let you know what I think of them when they arrive - probably in around a weeks time.
Well they arrived today and I tested them out during my 40 min train trip to uni. The sound is definitely better with more bass and less treble getting lost in background noise. That is probably one of the best things about them - the blocking out of background noise, its wonderful when on a noisy train. I am coping with the different feel of them at the moment but I think it might take a bit to get used to. I haven't really had time to try out the different sized rubber bits though so that may help.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 08:37 AM

I Love the Apple Earbuds, I think they sound amazing, and they fit my ears perfect, using them for a year now almost, they still sound great .

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 11:51 PM

Another vote for the B&O headphones here. I love 'em and could never go back to the original earbuds. With the B&Os you can work out, jog, or just commute to work in style. And the sound is killer!

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 01:58 AM

I have much the same problem as you. ALL earbuds hurt my right ear (go figure...my left is fine). I finally just broke down and picked up a pair of Sony wrap-around headphones. They work fine and sound pretty good for what they are.

I fear that people like us are simply not going to be able to use earbuds.

Cheers
Scott

vanityandagun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 02:24 PM

the earbuds are nice looking but huge, my husband cannot even get them in his ears

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2003, 10:58 PM

post a pic of ur ears so we can see...iasl no jk
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 19, 2003, 11:46 PM

I like my Etymotic 4P earphones. Too bad they're $$$. The ER-6 is much cheaper though.

I Love the Apple Earbuds, I think they sound amazing
You don't know what you're missing. I used them for a couple of hours and then put them away permanently. Even my $30 Sony headphones sound better. The Etymotics are in a completely different universe in terms of sound quality however, but of course, they're too expensive for most users.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 19, 2003 at 11:51 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules