Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibookG4 or Powerbook G4?

ibookG4 or Powerbook G4?
ikeem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 01:43 AM

Hello, well I finally decided to make the switch from the PC to the MAC, I am very interested in the Laptops that Mac has to offer, but I can�t decide which one I want, I don�t know if I want the ibook or the powerbook, I like both of them, but if I had to say one looks much better, I would say the powerbook is much more attractive looking to me, if a computer could be cute the powerbook would be it. My main concern is price, I am saving up money now and I have to the Apple Store, CompUSA, and MicroCenter, I have sat there and played on both computers. I am sure I really don�t need the powerbook, but I really like it, I will use the computer for, email, and documents, and with my digital camera as well, so I am thinking ibook might be best for me, but I am just not sure and I am worried about the ibook getting dirty, since it�s so white, any suggestions on which computer might be right for me. Any suggestions would help me greatly

Thanks
From a Soon to be Mac User

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by ikeem:
Hello, well I finally decided to make the switch from the PC to the MAC, I am very interested in the Laptops that Mac has to offer, but I can�t decide which one I want, I don�t know if I want the ibook or the powerbook, I like both of them, but if I had to say one looks much better, I would say the powerbook is much more attractive looking to me, if a computer could be cute the powerbook would be it. My main concern is price, I am saving up money now and I have to the Apple Store, CompUSA, and MicroCenter, I have sat there and played on both computers. I am sure I really don�t need the powerbook, but I really like it, I will use the computer for, email, and documents, and with my digital camera as well, so I am thinking ibook might be best for me, but I am just not sure and I am worried about the ibook getting dirty, since it�s so white, any suggestions on which computer might be right for me. Any suggestions would help me greatly

Thanks
From a Soon to be Mac User
welcome to the boards. if u can afford it, get a powerbook. you wont regret it. i have both the 800DVI & 800 ibook. if i had to pick either, i would pick the PB over the iBook any day.

if u dont get many answers in this thread, then i suggest you do a search because your question has been asked before.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 03:17 AM

Anyone contemplating on which machine to buy it all boils down to what they are going to be doing with it and how long do they plan on keeping it before they are ready to shell out more money on an upgraded model.

Reasons to go for the Powerbook:
Faster overall. Will accomodate more intense apps.
Better Graphics.
Attractive professional design.
Better and stronger keyboard with backlit feature included or optional.
DVD Burner, optional or included.
More memory expandability.
Faster Firewire on 15" and 17" model.

Reasons to go for the iBook G4:
Less expensive and still powerful.
More durable polycarbonate shell, can withstand more rugged transport without damage.
Attractive design color scheme, but not for everyone.
Significantly longer battery life than any of the Powerbooks.

Conclusion:
The iBook G4 is a fantastic Mac that will satisfy many and to address your concern about getting it dirty because it's white is not possible. The polycarbonate casing will not absorb or show dirt. If you are limited on funds and plan to upgrade after a couple of years then it will be okay.
On the other hand computers change faster than the 4 seasons as you may know this about Wintel computers. Intel upgrades the processors way too often which makes your computer outdated.
Although Macs have a longer shelf life and higher resale value they are upgrading faster by the minute and if you are planning on keeping your Mac for quite a long time (i.e 3-4 years) then you are much better off getting a Powerbook.
According to your post you seem to like the looks of the Powerbook better so that would be a really good reason to buy it because you have to look at it every day and you don't want to kick yourself for buying something cheaper and you don't care for how it looks.
Hope this helps.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 05:53 AM

I recently went through the same situation that you are going through right now. I'm on a limited budget (being a student) and had a diffucult time justifying the $300-400 (?) more for a laptop that could give only marginaly better performance - BUT i LOVE the looks of the powerbook so much more. So what was my solution?

I bought the 12" Rev. A powerbook from amazon.com for $400 less than a revB powerbook from apple.com w/ student discount (incl tax). Plus, I got a free iSight and amazon.com's nice 30 day return policy. Plus it was brand new factory sealed and not refurbished. It was a deal that i couldn't turn down.

So far i love the powerbook. It only has 256MB of RAM in it - which i plan on changing soon, but everything else on it is great. Sure there is a slight difference in performance than the new 12" powerbook, but i had a very difficult time justifying paying $400 more for one and missing out on a $150 gift.

Issues w/ Rev A? Well so far, not really many at all! No stuck/dead pixels, the screen looks very bright all the way around. Heat? I've been using it a lot lately. Yesterday while doing the battery cycle thingy i was on it for a good 2 - 2.5 hours straight while surfing, iChating, downloading and installing updates etc. all of this on my lap. Only after about well over an hour of use that the bottom started becoming slightly uncomfortably hot and the left palm rest never did. The mouse button does stick up slightly more than i like it to but it's not that bad, and the only other real issue that i have is that the lid of the powerbook has about a millimeter of "give" when it is shut.. IS THIS NORMAL? Other than that, its been great these past few days!

May God Be With You.
-Matt

ikeem  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 12:06 PM

Hello I would like to thank everyone who hit me up with a reply I will take everything u say into consideration

jdhindes
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 08:56 PM

I have a 12" Powebook here at home (Rev A) with 640 meg of memory. Now at school I have a G3 iBook--the model right before the new one came out. I love the iBook, but I still prefer the Powerbook. The keyboard on the Powerbook has such a better feel than the ibook. I am also a switcher from the PC. I have had my 12" Powerbook since February and I really do like it!

<OFF TOPIC>
We just gave every student in our high school an ibook to use! The students are so excited!

Hope this helps.

Jim

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2003, 09:26 PM

I would so get an ibook if I were you.

I recommend an ibook with a G4 to anyone.

I would only get a powerbook if you absolutely need the extras.

The ibook is crazy bang for your buck.

ibook all the way unless you have to have the powerbook, especially if money is of concern.

Of course I say this while typing on a powerbook.

Macs are so great you will love it
Force

Forum Links
Forum Rules