Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Donate some money to help the victims of the South East Asia earthquake

Donate some money to help the victims of the South East Asia earthquake
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 12:44 PM

Take your pick:

The Red Cross

Unicef

M�decins Sans Fronti�res

I got our company to whip out the credit card. Money is urgently needed to help prevent the outbreak of disease and to care for the injured. Thousands of children have been orphaned, many women especially in fishing communities are new widows.

Get that Christmas spirit going and dig as deep as you can afford.

LookSee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2004, 01:12 PM

Canadians can donate to the Canadian Red Cross

www.redcross.ca , or directly to the donation form

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 01:54 PM

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 01:56 PM

Adopt-A-Yankee

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Take your pick:

The Red Cross

Unicef

M�decins Sans Fronti�res
No thanks. Those 3 organisations won't get a dime from me.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

Then suggest an alternative.

Adopt-A-Yankee

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by paully dub:
Then suggest an alternative.
I'm not sure, are there any ?

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 02:46 PM

And why is that?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

sideus
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:48 PM

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
And why is that?
I can't say, since I will be accused of getting "political", and that's not allowed here apparently.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Dec 27, 2004, 02:52 PM

I'm curious as to why not as well, and if reasonalbe thoughts are given for not, then who?

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 02:57 PM

I can't say, since I will be accused of getting "political", and that's not allowed here apparently.
The red cross accompanies the US armed forces into battle to lend aid, so I'm not sure why they cannot be relied on to help those in this international tragedy. I'm willing to look into other charitable organizations that I can look into, so I can be assured my donation will be used wisely.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:59 PM

Look, do you have anything against donating money to disaster victims? Because if not, anyone with half a brain and a web browser could at least come up with some alternatives.

I'm willing to bet churches all over the world are raising money and goods this very minute. The Salvation Army is probably doing something. And there are loads of different relief orgs like Save the Children, Care, Action Contre La Faim, WorldVision, Oxfam, and who knows who else.

Or you could've just said you don't believe it's a good idea to donate money. Or you could've said nothing. But no....

You're justing messing around.

Adopt-A-Yankee

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
The red cross accompanies the US armed forces into battle to lend aid, so I'm not sure why they cannot be relied on to help those in this international tragedy. I'm willing to look into other charitable organizations that I can look into, so I can be assured my donation will be used wisely.
There's a big difference between the American red cross and the international red cross. They're two seperate organisations, though related by name of course.

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 03:09 PM

There's a big difference between the American red cross and the international red cross. They're two seperate organisations, though related by name of course.
I hate to sound irritated here, but NAME A FEW! Ok, I feel better now. I just came from the Red Cross' web site.

From their FAQ
Who founded the American Red Cross?
Clara Barton (1821-1912) dominates the early history of the American Red Cross, which was modeled after the International Red Cross. She did not originate the Red Cross idea, but she was the first person to establish a lasting Red Cross Society in America. She successfully organized the American Association of the Red Cross in Washington, D.C., on May 21, 1881. Created to serve America in peace and in war, during times of disaster and national calamity, Barton's organization took its service beyond that of the International Red Cross Movement by adding disaster relief to battlefield assistance. She served as the organization's volunteer president until 1904.

Who founded the Red Cross?
The Red Cross idea was born in 1859, when Henry Dunant, a young Swiss man, came upon the scene of a bloody battle in Solferino, Italy, between the armies of imperial Austria and the Franco-Sardinian alliance. Some 40,000 men lay dead or dying on the battlefield and the wounded were lacking medical attention. Dunant organized local people to bind the soldiers' wounds and to feed and comfort them. On his return, he called for the creation of national relief societies to assist those wounded in war, and pointed the way to the future Geneva Conventions.

In October 1863, The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement was created in Geneva, Switzerland, to provide nonpartisan care to the wounded and sick in times of war. The Red Cross emblem was adopted at this first International Conference as a symbol of neutrality and was to be used by national relief societies. In August 1864, the representatives of 12 governments signed the Geneva Convention Treaty. The extraordinary efforts of Henry Dunant led to the eventual establishment of the International Red Cross. Today, the Red Cross Movement incorporates the Geneva-based International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (the International Federation), as well as National Societies in 175 countries, including the American Red Cross of the United States.

What is the Mission of the American Red Cross?
The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers, guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, will provide relief to victims of disasters and help people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.

Is the American Red Cross part of the U.S. government?
The American Red Cross functions independently of the government but works closely with government agencies, such as the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), during times of major crises. It is responsible for giving aid to members of the U.S. Armed Forces and to disaster victims at home and abroad. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement allowing the Red Cross to stay neutral and impartial.
I just heard, correct me if I am wrong, but the United States is giving money directly to the American Red Cross to enable them to help the disaster victims. They are monitored, so I don't see why they can't be trusted with donations. Personally, I think we are already giving, because our government is giving aid, and we indirectly will all be donating just by being taxpaying Americans.

I'd like information for alternative sources. I'm not taking sides, it is just I don't quite understand where you are coming from, and am seeking to understand. If a few people attack you for being political, then so-be-it. Take it like a man, or a woman.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 03:19 PM

If a few people attack you for being political, then so-be-it. Take it like a man, or a woman.
Oh, I'm not worried about any attacks. I'm used to getting attacked all the time on here from a few people.

I'm worried about getting banned. I've already gotten banned from the PL. If I'm ever let back in there, I'll gladly discuss the international red cross, and why I think they're horrible. Freedom of speech does not exist on forums, and that's just the way it is, I suppose.

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 03:21 PM

Oh, I'm not worried about any attacks. I'm used to getting attacked all the time on here from a few people.

I'm worried about getting banned. I've already gotten banned from the PL. If I'm ever let back in there, I'll gladly discuss the international red cross, and why I think they're horrible. Freedom of speech does not exist on forums, and that's just the way it is, I suppose.
I'm still curious, but don't wish for you to be banned. PM me, and I'll get banned for you. I don't mind, I'm feeling all Christmassy.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 03:25 PM

Note that the British Red Cross have an edict which says that their shops shouldn't put up Christmas decorations so as not to offend ethnic minorites. Which means they won't be getting any of my donations.

Unicef are ineffectual.

However, MSF seem to rock. This is the one to go for PacHead.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:44 PM

If you don't like the suggestions made then find your own.

While you're busy bickering, people are dying. Be proud of yourself.
Personally I don't give a flying **** about the internal policies of the aid agencies on the ground over there and whether or not they celebrate Christmas, support the US or happen to have a French name or not.

As long as my money goes to help the people in need I am happy.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Note that the British Red Cross have an edict which says that their shops shouldn't put up Christmas decorations so as not to offend ethnic minorites. Which means they won't be getting any of my donations.
I'm not christian, but only a moron would be threatened by a christmas tree. Screw ethnic minorities and their intolerance.

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 03:49 PM

If you don't like the suggestions made then find your own.

While you're busy bickering, people are dying. Way to go. Really.
You seem to be quite an emotional person. How is this bickering [aka, discussion] on the internet going to cause more people to die than would normally if we didn't? My donation is going to be made anonymously through my taxes, filtered through the US Government, down to the American Red Cross. So, I don't have to even stop typing, and my work is done.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 03:58 PM

You seem to be quite an emotional person. How is this bickering [aka, discussion] on the internet going to cause more people to die than would normally if we didn't? My donation is going to be made anonymously through my taxes, filtered through the US Government, down to the American Red Cross. So, I don't have to even stop typing, and my work is done.

20,000 people dead is a good reason for a little bit of emotion, don't you think?

This thread was created to ask people to help victims of a national catastrophe, not to discuss the internal politics of the Red Cross and other relief organisations. You would assume that should a similar fate befall you and yours others would dig out their credit cards rather than sitting back and leaving it to the governments.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 04:08 PM

If there is some valid criticism of the organizations than that is fine to mention here imho. Please state the reason so we can make an informed decision and name alternatives.

However if you just want to bitch against humanitarian aid organizations in general, please do that somewhere else. This thread was intended as an information point for people who intend to donate money for the people effected by this disaster.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 04:23 PM

Suggestions from CNN

Some of those organizations do have a track record of being critical of marginally bad things done by Americans while turning a blind eye to countries with a much worse track record of human rights abuses. You will find, though, that all of these organizations genuinely want to help victims of the current tragedy, and money donated to that effort will likely be used for that effort and that effort alone. So perhaps we all could leave politics aside for a moment and pick someplace to send money to.

If it makes any of you feel better, you could write your check to "Doctors Without Borders" if M�decins Sans Fronti�res sounds too Frenchy for your tastes. I'm sure they could use your money either way.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Abu Bakr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2004, 04:26 PM

20,000 people dead is a good reason for a little bit of emotion, don't you think?
They weren't westerners so they don't care.

But thanks for reminding me of this.
If Palestinians are expected to negotiate under occupation, then Israel must be expected to negotiate as we resist that occupation.
- Marwan Barghouti -

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 04:46 PM

Take your pick:

The Red Cross

Unicef

M�decins Sans Fronti�res

I got our company to whip out the credit card. Money is urgently needed to help prevent the outbreak of disease and to care for the injured. Thousands of children have been orphaned, many women especially in fishing communities are new widows.

MSF just got US$50 from me. I am not wealthy but certainly more well off than those in South Asia, even before the tsunami hit.
So, a little bit of my money should go a long way over there. Plus, I wanted my money to go towards medical care. It seems that
access to urgent healthcare is, or will be shortly, the most critical need facing the victims.

Thanks for the info, Mastrap.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by Abu Bakr:
They weren't westerners so they don't care.

But thanks for reminding me of this.
I'm a they now all of a sudden? He was responding to my post, and if you'll be so kind as to read some of my posts you will find your comment goes unwaranted. Some good points were made in regard to raising a few questions for me, so I don't think he doesn't care about the victims, just the method to which he helps them.

Isn't a man who questions the veracity of a charitable organization, caring that much more about the victims? For what purpose do you post another scathing comment? This just reinforces my assertion that many only wish to argue, and it is this primary motivator for your post.

Your statements are simply without reason or logic, when faced with the truth that us westerners are the first to act in the case of such international needs for relief.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
... It seems that access to urgent healthcare is, or will be shortly, the most critical need facing the victims.
actually, what i just heard is that the most critical need at the moment is 'water', since a lot of the supplies were damaged and polluted by the tsunamies.

i'll be donating tomorrow.

thanks for the idea...

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 05:03 PM

I'll find a way to donate.

I remember when the hurricanes came through our neighborhood earlier this year and we didn't have any water, no electricity, our yards were under 3 feet of water, snakes and rats were crawling all over, when I saw those national guard trucks come through handing out gallons of water and snack packs with food, I WAS GRATEFUL FOR HELP.

If you've EVER had someone give you a helping hand, then you owe it to do something kind in return.

Screw politics. Pick an organization and give them a buck or two. If everyone in this country only gave $1 they would be $350 million dollars ahead.

Pachead, you know I support you in most everything you say or do, but this is not a time to pick a fight, do you think?

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 05:07 PM

I just saw this web site on the news, and have yet to check it out, but here it goes.

-"The Center for International Disaster Information"

There is plenty of information on that web page, and some links, read their FAQ. Let me know what you think of this organization.

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 05:08 PM

I just gave some money. My thoughts and well wishes to those affected.

Thanks for the thread.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 05:10 PM

Set your faces to stunned. A Canadian tries to get others to donate money to people suffering and an American starts acting like a jerk.

Who saw that one coming.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Pachead, you know I support you in most everything you say or do, but this is not a time to pick a fight, do you think?
Thanks.

You're right, I'll leave this one alone.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Set your faces to stunned. A Canadian tries to get others to donate money to people suffering and an American starts acting like a jerk.

Who saw that one coming.
Really, SWG. Is this necessary?

This is NOT about Canadians
This is NOT about Americans
This is NOT about one group/culture being *better* than another

This IS about helping people devastated by a horrific natural disaster.
PacHead is going to be a d** regardless of whatever happens in the world
and you, apparently, are going to be a self-righteous ass**** regardless of
whatever happens in the world.

Try, for just a minute, to look beyond scoring points against someone else
on an internet forum. How about, it eh?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 05:17 PM

Who saw that one coming.
For what purpose do you make such a statement? You wouldn't be baiting this fellow into an argument would you? His comments were at least on topic, but your flag waving, anti-American comment is far from it. He stated his reasons to me via private message because he was affraid to make it political in here for fear he would be banned. I'm wondering if you will be banned for doing so? It would seem you have little fear of that for some reason. Your very first post in this thread and you attack an American for raising a few questions. He made me go and investigate for myself, and report back that the USA is going to work through the American Red Cross, which I beleive alleviated some of his stress issues with the Red Cross, more specifically the International Red Cross.

Would you have someone that differs in oppinion to your self just shut up and be silent?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 05:21 PM

For what purpose do you make such a statement? You wouldn't be baiting this fellow into an argument would you? His comments were at least on topic, but your flag waving, anti-American comment is far from it. He stated his reasons to me via private message because he was affraid to make it political in here for fear he would be banned. I'm wondering if you will be banned for doing so? It would seem you have little fear of that for some reason. Your very first post in this thread and you attack an American for raising a few questions. He made me go and investigate for myself, and report back that the USA is going to work through the American Red Cross, which I beleive alleviated some of his stress issues with the Red Cross, more specifically the International Red Cross.

Would you have someone that differs in oppinion to your self just shut up and be silent?
Give me a break. His opinion was not needed in this type of thread, he got banned from the political board so he is trying to draw it into here.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 05:27 PM

Give me a break. His opinion was not needed in this type of thread, he got banned from the political board so he is trying to draw it into here.
Who are you to decide which opinion is needed on which thread ?

Are you a censorship nazi ?

You should get banned from the entire lounge, since your opinions are not needed on any thread whatsoever says me.

budster101
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 05:36 PM

He has not brought politics into this thread, you have. I think his oppinion is just as important as anyone's in this thread and I appreciate that he inspired me to go out and research the organizations.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 05:44 PM

Take your pick:

The Red Cross

Unicef

M�decins Sans Fronti�res

Just sent $10K to the Red Cross. People, get out your wallets and help, this sh!t won't fix itself.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 05:44 PM

You can all relax.

Pachead has his reasons. He does not want to divulge them. Seriously, there ARE some organizations out there that seize opportunities like this one to score money on tragedy. Like some of them that actually only donate something like .11 of every $1.00 donated to the supposed cause that they are furthering.

I donated for Pachead -- twice as much as I normally would.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 06:08 PM

I see a couple of oxymorons personified in this thread...
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 06:16 PM

Isn't a man who questions the veracity of a charitable organization, caring that much more about the victims? For what purpose do you post another scathing comment? This just reinforces my assertion that many only wish to argue, and it is this primary motivator for your post.

Your statements are simply without reason or logic, when faced with the truth that us westerners are the first to act in the case of such international needs for relief.
When you won't donate because they don't support a certain political agenda or put up christmas ornaments you're not caring about the victims. Bottom line is that the relief money is used well.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:
When you won't donate because they don't support a certain political agenda or put up christmas ornaments you're not caring about the victims. Bottom line is that the relief money is used well.
I agree. It's one thing to boycott Target over the Salvation Army thing (which I did), it's quite another to boycott the Red Cross during a disaster when people's lives are on the line. Fuel, medical supplies, and food cost $. The faster we can get those out, the more lives that can be saved.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 27, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
I see a couple of oxymorons personified in this thread...
I see a couple of oxymorons personified in this thread ... fixed™

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
You can all relax.

Pachead has his reasons. He does not want to divulge them. Seriously, there ARE some organizations out there that seize opportunities like this one to score money on tragedy. Like some of them that actually only donate something like .11 of every $1.00 donated to the supposed cause that they are furthering.

I donated for Pachead -- twice as much as I normally would.

I think we all know PacHead's reasons are petty. Oh well, I'm sure one day the tin man will find his heart.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 07:49 PM

I have some $$$ in a Paypal account I can donate. Does anyone know of a Paypal Donate link for this cause? I call it funny money (in Paypal) but I know it would help.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 08:47 PM

I'm not christian, but only a moron would be threatened by a christmas tree. Screw ethnic minorities and their intolerance.
Gee, I wonder why you are risk of being banned, saying things like that.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Gee, I wonder why you are risk of being banned, saying things like that.
Since he regularly says a lot worse without batting an eye, I think it's safe to say that he wonders, too.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2004, 02:51 AM

My question is if Pachead had a problem with the organizations mentioned above, why even post? It's not as if he was offering alternatives (International Red Crescent, for example, which is a Muslim alternative to the Red Cross).

Not wanting to donate to a certain group is one's personal choice and that's fine. Giving or not giving is also fine as it's one choice. But it's pathethic that he hijacked this thread and turned into a political one.
There's a reason why he was banned from the PL. And I'd support a complete ban if he tries to bring the same garbage into other threads (and not just him, but other idiots like rob/ca$h).

At least 26,000 people have died, thousands displace and there's still a good chance of disease and water contamination. Lots of Aussies and Europeans also affected as it was holiday season so it's not just an "Asian" issue. And it hit all religious walks, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist and Christian.

So, my final comment is that either give or don't. But if you have a political agenda to promote an can't help but be a pr1ck just because you're safe behind the computer then shut the f*** up!

[/end rant]
( Last edited by Randman; Dec 28, 2004 at 03:17 AM. )

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 10:32 AM

Enough talk about losers. 40,000 people have died and counting. How to help, if you so desire:

ACTION AGAINST HUNGER
247 West 37th Street, Suite 1201
New York, N.Y. 10018
212-967-7800 x108
www.actionagainsthunger.org

AMERICAN JEWISH WORLD SERVICE
45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10018
800-889-7146
www.ajws.org

AMERICAN FRIENDS SERVICE COMMITTEE
AFSC Crisis Fund