Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone playing piano with his/her mac ?

anyone playing piano with his/her mac ?
Sarc
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 10:50 AM

I've taken interest in playing piano, however I don't have the space or money to buy one. Now, from what I've read I can buy a MIDI interface and a keyboard and take it from there.
I was suggested to look at M-Audio's products and was pleased to see that everything is Mac compatible. Anyway, I'm not looking for anything fancy or composing complex songs in Logic or whatever, just playing piano.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good starting setup ? Basic software ? Does GarageBand cut it for starters ? Minimum hardware ?

Thanks

sarc
( Last edited by Sarc; Jun 25, 2008 at 11:06 AM. )
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 10:57 AM

I'd get something more than the little 1-2 octave pianos that they've got for real cheap. I'd think they would just end up being frustrating, depending on what you want to play I guess.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 11:38 AM

Garageband is really for recording / processing music - it will certainly do everything you want at this point.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 01:07 PM

GarageBand is fine, though running it on a GHz tiBook is cutting it pretty close.

It should still be usable, though, for simple doodling a bit, and for inventing your own tunes and seeing what they look like in notation (this might be good for learning to read music, as well, since it quasi goes both ways).

I have no experience with the current version on such hardware, though - the very first version of GarageBand ran "okay" (for your purposes) on a 900 MHz iBook. If you have the chance, try playing a GarageBand piano with the computer-keyboard piano (under "Windows" menu) from your computer keyboard to see how the latency is (i.e. does the note sound *immediately* when you press the key, or is there a slight delay?), before running out and buying a keyboard. High latency is maddening and makes it pretty much impossible to play an instrument unless you're very experienced and know exactly what you're doing (as a church organist knows his instrument and can press the keys just ahead of the beat, so the pipes will sound in time).

M-Audio keystation 49 is a sub-$100 keyboard that has okay action and four octaves.

If you *really* want to learn to play the piano, with full technique and such (rather than just getting a feel for how sheet music, keys, and sound correspond, and being able to play a little bit of stuff for fun - nothing wrong with that!) then you need to get a REAL piano.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 01:28 PM

You could also just download yourself a software piano sample that you like, and play your keyboard using this software synth via VSamp.

Sarc  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
If you *really* want to learn to play the piano, with full technique and such (rather than just getting a feel for how sheet music, keys, and sound correspond, and being able to play a little bit of stuff for fun - nothing wrong with that!) then you need to get a REAL piano.
But would a Keyboard be a good starting point or completely useless ? (given budget and spaces constraints for getting an actual piano).
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2008, 10:05 PM

Anything less than a full size keyboard is going to let you down pretty quick if you want to learn music. Those smaller controler keyboards are mostly for quick MIDI event entry. Atleast get something with the full 88 keys even if it is not full size. Also, actual acoustic pianos are kind of a thing of the past unless you inherit one or happen to have a ton of cash.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4 View Post
Also, actual acoustic pianos are kind of a thing of the past unless you inherit one or happen to have a ton of cash.
Up here you can pick up used pianos dirt cheap. I nearly bought one for five bucks last year, at a church auction. Decent condition too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2008, 11:07 PM

For real piano feeling you need a weighted hammer action keyboard.

MIDI Controllers: Buying Guide

-t

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Up here you can pick up used pianos dirt cheap. I nearly bought one for five bucks last year, at a church auction. Decent condition too.
That's wild. Why didn't you?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 04:45 AM

Anything less than a full size keyboard is going to let you down pretty quick if you want to learn music. Those smaller controler keyboards are mostly for quick MIDI event entry. Atleast get something with the full 88 keys even if it is not full size. Also, actual acoustic pianos are kind of a thing of the past unless you inherit one or happen to have a ton of cash.
73 keys should be fine.

And if you look/ask around for a while, you can almost always get a piano for cheap. Every couple of years, I hear of someone looking to get rid of one for free or next to nothing.

Question of course is the condition those pianos are in - have an expert look at it (ideally the guy who's gonna be fixing it up and tuning it for you), and figure in the costs for getting professionals to move it.

DO NOT try to move a piano yourself, unless you have the right tools/harnesses and experienced help.

Just...don't.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 09:53 AM

I bought one of the M-Audio 49 key semi-weighted boyos and use it with GarageBand all the time.

I play banjo, bass guitar and normal guitar as well, the M-Audio is perfect for someone like me who can't play piano but knows how to play music.

macdude
Jun 26, 2008, 10:25 AM

I've played around with the piano before on GarageBand, but that's about the extent of it. Pretty cool to mess with every now and then.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2008, 10:34 AM

That's wild. Why didn't you?
I would have needed to remove it that day and I didn't have the trailer with me. No way to get it home.

Sarc  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
I have no experience with the current version on such hardware, though - the very first version of GarageBand ran "okay" (for your purposes) on a 900 MHz iBook. If you have the chance, try playing a GarageBand piano with the computer-keyboard piano (under "Windows" menu) from your computer keyboard to see how the latency is (i.e. does the note sound *immediately* when you press the key, or is there a slight delay?)
Tried it, works with no delay.

And on the keyboard itself, I was looking to buy a M-Audio Keystation 88se, it's a semi-weigthed, 88 key keyboard.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
For real piano feeling you need a weighted hammer action keyboard.
MIDI Controllers: Buying Guide
-t
Thanks, reading.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2008, 06:40 PM

I've got the M-Audio 61 key, and while it's certainly no piano when it comes to key action, it can sort of sound like one, with the right software. I found a pretty cool "honkeytonk" piano (slightly de-tuned, like a neglected piano) instrument on line that works with Logic's sampling keyboard EXS 24. It's fun. Wish I could remember where I turned it up, so I could post a link. Garage Band's pianos aren't just awful, though.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules