Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New, and I mean NEW, tibook

New, and I mean NEW, tibook
stevebez
Aug 11, 2008, 11:40 PM

I recently acquired an almost new 800mhz tibook, and I just love it. The ad said "only used once!" and I don't doubt it at all. There is absolutely no debris under the keys. The only thing that is wrong with it is a slight bend in the lower case under the optical drive slot. Considering the fact that half of the styrofoam was missing from the box I expected it to be much worse. I got it for a song, only $260. The only odd thing that has happened is one of the sticks of ram died the very first day. I'm even getting 4+ hours from the battery, usually close to 5.

I'm done gloating now but I do have a question. Does anybody still make a sleeve case for the tibook?

ibook_steve
Aug 12, 2008, 01:53 AM

I would think that any modern 15" case would work. It is a 15" widescreen, after all.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

stevebez  (op)
Aug 13, 2008, 03:13 AM

Hmm.. I think I was unclear. I was looking for a snug fitting slim case, preferably one I could leave on while the PB is in use. Perhaps "skin" is a better word. Something like this,only for a tibook.

Once again, sorry for all the gloating. It's been a long time since I had a "new" computer. Limited means and all...

calverson
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2008, 05:59 PM

Check out iSkin - they might have what you are looking for.

What OS is your tibook running and what are you using it for, if you don't mind me asking...?

Sarc
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2008, 01:24 PM

As long as you have it with 1GB of RAM, you can even run Leopard on it and it will be a fine Web/Office/Mail machine. Trust me

You'll just need to be careful with the apps. you use.
For instance, Firefox 3 uses half as much memory as Firefox 2 and Safari runs better than either one of them.
For torrents, Transmission will do the job and not hog the system. Azureus on the other hand, will make the system unbearable.
Stuff like that.

Tiger runs noticeably better though.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2008, 03:01 PM

Tiger would be the best OS for it. Congrats with the purchase. I really like the TiBooks. Sort of melds the old G3 design (of which I am a big fan) with the more modern case.

stevebez  (op)
Aug 18, 2008, 07:05 AM

I'm running 10.4. The tiBook has taken the place of my aging Pismo, serving as my general purpose computer. To me that means quite a few different things depending on the day of the week, the phase of the moon, etcetra, including:

web surfing (duh!)
word processing (school)
light desktop publishing (work)
xcode tinkering

P.S. Anybody want a pre-compiled version of the MiniBrowser example that ships with xcode? I tweaked the U.I. to maximize the use of "real estate". I was thinking of my days on a clamshell at the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules