Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RIP IBM Deskstar...

RIP IBM Deskstar...
hawiken
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 01:21 AM

Aloha,
I have a G4 800 tower, and had a 40 GB IBM Deskstar, about 2 1/2 years old, set to Master, and the original WD 10 GB that came with the tower set as Slave. Just a couple of weeks ago, I bought a WD 80 GB, set it as Master, yanked the WD 10 GB and set the IBM as Slave; moved all of my stuff to the WD 80 GB, used that as my start up disc and life was good!
This morning, a strange clicking sound started coming from the tower; couldn't force quit, SBOD that wouldn't stop, yadda, yadda. Turns out that the IBM seems to have died a sudden death. Disc Warrior can't see it, Disc Utility can't see it; those are the only 2 utilities that I have, (and the only two that I've ever needed). I had the IBM in the bottom position of the carrier, and the WD on top. I'm obviously not too torn up about losing the IBM- all of my data was on the WD, but I AM wondering what might have caused it to die such a sudden death - the timing is suspicious. And... given that it can't be seen by my two utilities, is there any other way of recuscitating it- apart from sending it to Drive Savers?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Ken

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 05:10 AM

I'm sure it's dead.. I meen the IBM Deskstar diden't earn the common nickname of Deathstar by accident.

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Forum Links
Forum Rules