Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sending a soldier a care package.

Sending a soldier a care package.
Monique
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 03:06 PM

Do you guys know where I can send a care package for Christmas.

I am sure there are a lot of soldiers who do not have family and would appreciate a gift for Christmas.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2006, 03:09 PM

I know of this but it's not a Christmas thing...

marden
Baninated
Oct 12, 2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Do you guys know where I can send a care package for Christmas.

I am sure there are a lot of soldiers who do not have family and would appreciate a gift for Christmas.
Bless you, Monique!

I particularly like the ones that say they make sure the packages go to those soldiers who don't get much mail from home. I've been a lonely soldier and something like that means A LOT.

Any Soldier ... Any Soldier Inc. ... Care Package ... Soldier Support
Lets people send care packages that are distributed to soldiers. Frequently asked questions, success stories, and how to get involved.
www.anysoldier.com/ - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

For Soldier, Sailors, Airmen and Marines ONLY!
I will pass on this mail and packages to the soldiers that don't get much or any mail first, but I am allowed to keep anything I deem I should within the ...
www.anysoldier.com/ForSoldiersOnly.cfm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.anysoldier.com ]

Treat Any Soldier Care Packages . . . www.TreatAnySoldier.com ...
Want to send a care package to Any Soldier in Harm's Way? Treat Any Soldier is an effort to do just that. Pick a Soldier from the AnySoldier.com site or ...
www.treatanysoldier.com/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Treat Any Soldier Care Packages . . . www.TreatAnySoldier.com ...
More importantly its small and compact and your soldier can take it wherever he/she goes. Add the "Any Soldier"tm pillow to your care package for an ...
www.treatanysoldier.com/CarePackages.cfm - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Treats for Troops! care package, military care packages, care ...
Sending soldiers packages, care packages for troops to support our troops, at TreatsForTroops.com. Foster a soldier to send a soldier a birthday gift or ...
www.treatsfortroops.com/ - 41k - Cached - Similar pages

Treats for Troops | Military Registration
Care Package troops us, military care package idea, care iraq package, Army Care Package, Build Your Own Care packages, Care packages, adopt a soldier, ...
www.treatsfortroops.com/registration/ index.php?xid=23e5f64bc26e2c9aa2b0f74ca913894b - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Care Packages For Soldiers
Military Care Packages sent to domestic and APO/FPO boxes. Free Ground Shipping. Lots of types to choose from, snacks, hygiene, laundry, leisure time and ...
www.giddygiftbox.com/military.html - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

Books For Soldiers - Care Packages For The MInd
Soldier support site that ships books, DVDs and supplies to deployed soliders and soldiers in hospitals via their volunteer network.
booksforsoldiers.com/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

Operation Gratitude - Help Support our Troops - Welcome to ...
Send a Care Package to the Troops today, You can help support our troops, Put a smile on a troop's, service member's and soldier's face.
www.opgratitude.com/ - 44k - Cached - Similar pages

Military Care Packages
Military care packages, Adopt A Soldier. Send care packages to a soldier in your name or your company name.Leave message for troops free live chat.
www.brandonblog.homestead.com/ A_Soldiers_Blog_Care_Packages.html - 46k - Cached - Similar pages

Information about Army Spc. Joe Roche and for Care Packages to ...
Originally, this page was for care packages needed for soldiers within the 16th Combat Engineer Battalion of the US Army's 1st Armored Division (Joe Roche's ...
www.nationalcenter.org/RochePage.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Operation Shoebox - Supporting our troops by sending care packages ...
Operation Shoebox - Supporting our troops by sending care packages to our US Combat servicemen and women. Operation ShoeBox is a 501-3(c) not-for-profit ...
www.operationshoebox.com/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

USO Cares Home
With a donation of $25 you can sponsor a care package and include a personal message ... These USO Care Packages at minimum, include requested items such as ...
www.usocares.org/src/uso_home.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Military Care Packages
Military care packages for your soldier. Hygiene, snacks, games and more! Starting at just $9.99.
militarycarepackages.net/ - 38k - Cached - Similar pages

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 12, 2006, 07:27 PM

Marden, thanks for getting the linked stuff here! It's hard on folks in the sand-we have no idea here how much just a stick of lip balm or some moist toweletts can make life better. Books, CDs, movies, ANYTHING that is like "normal" life would be a help.

And Monique, thanks for asking. It means a lot that people care.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

marden
Baninated
Oct 12, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Marden, thanks for getting the linked stuff here! It's hard on folks in the sand-we have no idea here how much just a stick of lip balm or some moist toweletts can make life better. Books, CDs, movies, ANYTHING that is like "normal" life would be a help.

And Monique, thanks for asking. It means a lot that people care.
I'll be sending a token, myself. And to you for a career of service and now on starting a second career of service, ghporter!

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2006, 08:46 PM

Thanks for those links. I've been neglecting things like that.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 12:15 AM

I'm just curious. Why US soldiers? Why not Iraqis too?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Because the Iraqis aren't far from home. Their situation might suck, but at least they aren't home sick. Things like this can mean a lot to a soldier far from home. It's a great moral builder.
Nemo me impune lacesset

DBursey
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 11:35 AM

Monique, you might want to follow-up with this link: Care Packages - Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan

Here's another link: Canadian Armed Forces Message Board
( Last edited by DBursey; Oct 13, 2006 at 11:42 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 13, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
It's a great moral builder.
You mean "morale" but it's a good "moral" builder for the people here, too.

marden
Baninated
Oct 13, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey
Monique, you might want to follow-up with this link: Care Packages - Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan

Here's another link: Canadian Armed Forces Message Board
I heard they encountered acres of 10 foot tall marijuana plants in Afghanistan.

Send them munchies and cartons of Kools.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
Because the Iraqis aren't far from home. Their situation might suck, but at least they aren't home sick. Things like this can mean a lot to a soldier far from home. It's a great moral builder.
True and if their morale is better they might be less inclined to committ attrocities in a situation where attrocities are more likely to take place. I support this action.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 02:20 PM

I don't support military action in Iraq per se, but I don't think it's fair play to malign or insinuate against the vast majority of committed soldiers based on the actions of a small minority.

Whatever we may say in critique of our political masters, I think we should provide moral support to our sons, daughters, moms, dads and fellow citizens who serve in the Armed Forces.

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:37 PM

True and if their morale is better they might be less inclined to committ attrocities in a situation where attrocities are more likely to take place. I support this action.
Or it could give them comfort and encourage them to commit more acts of aggression. You are talking about the insurgents aren't you?

Railroader
Banned
Oct 14, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DBursey
I don't support military action in Iraq per se, but I don't think it's fair play to malign or insinuate against the vast majority of committed soldiers based on the actions of a small minority.

Whatever we may say in critique of our political masters, I think we should provide moral support to our sons, daughters, moms, dads and fellow citizens who serve in the Armed Forces.
Agreed.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2006, 09:13 PM

The few who have misbehaved so abhorently are not enough of a threat to deny the huge number of lonely folks who are where they are because they believe in their country and want to do good for it and the world. Think about the people who serve in spite of horrendous burdens-it's common for career military members to go through at least one bankruptcy during their career because of the high cost of moving around every couple of years and the (still) horribly low pay levels. Hate the aberant individuals, but help the many.

marden
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 09:42 PM

There are no places where atrocities are "LIKELY." In ALL places AND ALL situations America's service people are expected to act professionally. And in 99.999999% of the time that's exactly what they do. Any exceptions to that are exceedingly rare and are just that, exceptions.

marden
Baninated
Oct 14, 2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Or it could give them comfort and encourage them to commit more acts of aggression. You are talking about the insurgents aren't you?
Hahaha! Good one!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
You mean "morale" but it's a good "moral" builder for the people here, too.
Sorry about that, I'd been drinking a bit
Nemo me impune lacesset

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2006, 04:26 PM

I haven't been here for a long time, and when I return, lo and behold, a thread about something that has kept me away from here. How cool.

I have been corresponding with a Navy guy in Afghanistan mostly via the Revision3 forums (the website company that created diggnation, theBroken, Geekdrome, Control-Alt-Chicken, and other podcasts.) Turns out what quite a lot of troops want is to stay in touch with their inner geek. They have limited internet access, horrible connections, and no access to large files and/or streaming/downloadable media.

These brave folks, when they finally have some downtime, want their IPTV!

So what we are doing is creating a website to match up troops with civilians who can rip/mix/burn and mail out cd/dvds of podcasts and other "free" (as in both beer and speech) media for them to enjoy in thier downtime. This is also for people in the Peace Corp and other folks in the backwater regions of the world.

It's a cool way to cheer the troops all year round in a reasonably inexpensive and easy way, instead of just during the holiday season.

We have already received positive response from Leo LaPorte (twit.tv) and are pursuing others to launch a podcast kickoff when we are ready.

The site is up, with functional forums, but we need to figure out how to do the connect-a-troop-with-a-civilian code. None of us are coders, so I post here not so much (yet) to have you adopt a troop, but to see if the tech savvy people here can help with getting this going.

The original thread, with the original idea, is here:

Media idea thread

(I'm rabidbadger, the Navy guy is Tadpole)

And the site is:

Troopcasting

Hope you folks can help. We think this is a real cool way to take them a little closer to home.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2006, 02:22 AM

Because one American servicemember means more to me than the entire country of Iraq and I don't apologize for that................EVER.

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by marden
Bless you, Monique!

I particularly like the ones that say they make sure the packages go to those soldiers who don't get much mail from home. I've been a lonely soldier and something like that means A LOT.

Thanks for the list. Although I send packages regularly, they have always been to people I personally know, with enough stuff in them to go around. My next one is going to be from one of those lists though so that maybe someone who doesn't get a lot of contact from home will be the one to get it and will know how much they are truly adored by the American people. These young kids in the military renew my faith in this country that otherwise seems at times to be a wasteland of degenerates (Especially upon entering a mall now days).

Forum Links
Forum Rules