Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So my Grandma needs a new car.... any ideas?

So my Grandma needs a new car.... any ideas?
permanent68
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 04:08 PM

She currently drives a Chrysler Minivan, and she the 'up high' driving position. Naturally most dolts would slobber "she needth an SSSTH UUUEEE VEEE!!!!" but no. SUVS suck.

SO here's my list of things for her to try tomorrow:

PT Cruiser
Subaru Forester
Honda Element
Chrysler Pacifica

Generally I'd like to see her buy used, but it's her money. What do you guys think?

- Rob

benb
Jul 1, 2003, 04:12 PM

If she is old, then she is obligated to buy either a Caddilac, Lincoln Town Car, or a Buick LeSabre.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 04:16 PM

You obviously didn't read what I typed. Congrats.

- Rob

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2003, 04:23 PM

Perhaps she should just get another minivan? The elderly seem to like familiar cars. If not, then go with the Chrysler Pacifica, because she's already used to the Chrysler brand, and the Pacifica itself is very similar to a minivan. Good luck car shopping!

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by benb:
If she is old, then she is obligated to buy either a Caddilac, Lincoln Town Car, or a Buick LeSabre.
You forgot the Roadmaster.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 04:28 PM

Toyota Prius: Safe, reliable, super-high gas-mileage, better for teh planet.

I'd say avoid the PT Cruiser. What a wack car. Just ugh.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Toyota Prius: Safe, reliable, super-high gas-mileage, better for teh planet.

I'd say avoid the PT Cruiser. What a wack car. Just ugh.
She doesn't want a dinky hippie car. Go sell hemp clothing bum.

- Rob

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 04:34 PM

What about some variety of volvo? Certainly safe enough. Granted, not a high view above the road like the minivan, but then, neither were all of the models you named.

Why does she need such a large people carrier? Doesn't matter to me, she can drive a Peterbilt if she pleases, I was just wondering.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 04:40 PM

I dunno, she just likes the slightly higher 'upright' feeling of a minivan. PT cruisers are more like 'mini' minivans, so she might like those. Volvos are nice and all, but I don't really know of any for sale around here that aren't high mileage. >shrug< What volvo would you reccamend? Cheaper the better, but newer the better. Any good deals?

- Rob

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 04:52 PM

The Honda Element is absolutely gross, she should stay away. The best bet is probably the Pacifica. As stated above, it's very minivan-like and is a familiar Chrysler product. A Toyota Highlander is no more an SUV than a Pacifica is though, she might want to consider one of those.

And in a size similar to the PT Cruiser she can also check out a Pontiac VIbe or a Toyota Matrix, or the Suzuki Aerio as a longshot.

dencamp
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 04:56 PM

I'd go with the subaru for a couple of reasons:

1. Less of a step-up than the honda.
2. More head room - not for sitting in the car, but for getting in and out - which will be important depending on general health issues.
3. Solid handling
4. From what I've read and experienced with two friends' Subarus, the maintenance is minimal.
5. Competative on overall cost (including mpg, initial cost, insurance and maintenance)
6. I like the car

Two steps forward (six steps back)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 04:56 PM

I think CaseCom researched his car choice for something like forty years before settling on a Subaru Forester...perhaps he'll chime it? I think he's quite happy with it.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 04:59 PM

I'll go with vmarks on this one! Get her a peterbilt semi!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
I'll go with vmarks on this one! Get her a peterbilt semi!
Screw that. My dad has a freightliner thats better than any stupid peterbuilt. It has stainless steel lake pipes fool!

- Rob

PS: I like the forester too, so I'm going to see if she likes that. But as for the Vibe/Matrix/Aerio... this is a senior citizen. I don't think she'd be down 'techno' design of those cars. The PT Cruiser, while small, is still a chrysler product, and it's retro (two things she might like about it) so thats why it gets my nod. I hate PTs though for the msot part, excluding the new 2.4 turbo one.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Screw that. My dad has a freightliner thats better than any stupid peterbuilt. It has stainless steel lake pipes fool!

- Rob

PS: I like the forester too, so I'm going to see if she likes that. But as for the Vibe/Matrix/Aerio... this is a senior citizen. I don't think she'd be down 'techno' design of those cars. The PT Cruiser, while small, is still a chrysler product, and it's retro (two things she might like about it) so thats why it gets my nod. I hate PTs though for the msot part, excluding the new 2.4 turbo one.
I agree wholeheartedly on the old person styling issue... but that's even more reason to cross the Honda Element off the list. I'd say it has horrible 'techno' styling, but that would imply the existence of some style to begin with.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 05:48 PM

Is performance a factor? Luxury? Reliability? Fuel economy? I need to know a little more here...
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 05:54 PM

Personally I like the Oldsmobile Aurora. Great car, peppy (especially with the V8), very nicely styled IMO. Everytime I see one (occationally) I think damn, that's a nice looking car. What is it? Aurora.

Oh yeah, manual? Automatic? Personally I'd consider the availability of a manual gearbox as an influencing factor for a vehicle choice. I know others feel the same way, and some people can't drive manual and don't care to learn.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

boardsurfer
Jul 1, 2003, 05:59 PM

I vote for the Pacifica. Then Forrester, and Element a close third. personal opinion only.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 06:14 PM

It has to be an automatic, and it CANT be a car. That means, no aurora, no caddys, no buick lesabres, no sedans. She wants something that has hauling capability, as she and her friends drive down to texas once a year... so bigger is better, hence WAGONS.

So yeah, automatic wagons. I'm thinking the forester is looking good right now, as used examples can be had for around 15 grand, where as the Pacifica lacks AWD, and is so new you can't find used ones anywhere.

- Rob

PS: MPG and performance are not factors... though I'd love to stuff her into a turbo PT cruiser or Forester XT

hehe

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2003, 06:25 PM

pacifica for sure.
that car is surprisingly beautiful. the interiors at least. seems to be the first product of the diamler-chrysler merger.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 06:35 PM

It has to be an automatic, and it CANT be a car. That means, no aurora, no caddys, no buick lesabres, no sedans. She wants something that has hauling capability, as she and her friends drive down to texas once a year... so bigger is better, hence WAGONS.

So yeah, automatic wagons. I'm thinking the forester is looking good right now, as used examples can be had for around 15 grand, where as the Pacifica lacks AWD, and is so new you can't find used ones anywhere.

- Rob

PS: MPG and performance are not factors... though I'd love to stuff her into a turbo PT cruiser or Forester XT

hehe
In that case, I would say the Volvo Cross-Country would be well worth looking at. Very well-built, AWD, reasonably powerful, and very good-looking. I think they also come in awagon and a larger mini-SUV version. New they start around 35 grand I think - that may be out of your price range.

Other than that I would say the subaru would be a good choice. Why not go with the Impreza wagon, though?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 06:47 PM

She could afford it, but I highly doubt she wants to spend that much. I'm thinking 20gs or under. She could afford an expensive car, but I don't think she really cares about any of that stuff. It's like SeanYepez getting an M3. What a waste of an M3 on an ignorant undserving fool. Same thing with my Gma getting such an expensive wagon.

- Rob

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2003, 06:57 PM

The Forrester is a great car. Rides and handles very well. It's small, so it's easy to park, yet it holds quite a bit of stuff. It is also the top of its class in terms of safety. My parents have had one for 2 years now and they love it, definitely worth a look.

-matt

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 1, 2003, 07:42 PM

Actually, I saw a happy senior couple tooling around in a Matrix a few weeks ago. They looked like they were having fun. Maybe they were stoned?

If you looked, you could find a Volvo 850, etc. for not too much money or too many miles. And it would last her the rest of her life. Good in winter.

For new cars, you can't go wrong with the Forester.

The Car Tawk guys love the Honda Element. And the Honda Odyssey is a bad ass mini-van. Either would get my vote.

But I can't recommend Chrysler crap like the PT Cruiser, Caravan, etc.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
But I can't recommend Chrysler crap like the PT Cruiser, Caravan, etc.
Comments like this discredit anything you've previously said as you now fall into the "I'm an ignorant moron who doesn't know what he's talking about" catergory.

- Ca$h

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2003, 09:17 PM

CaSh, your grandmother seems to have an eye for performance and value.

I highly suggest a 2 door honda civic, with chrome trim and full body kit. It'll be much lower, and more fun then her van.

In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 09:31 PM

Comments like this discredit anything you've previously said as you now fall into the "I'm an ignorant moron who doesn't know what he's talking about" catergory.

- Ca$h
Yeah, Ca$h is a MOPAR man - **** with that at your peril.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 1, 2003, 09:37 PM

No, I'm not really a MOPAR man, I've just owned one and it had a HORRIBLE rep yet it was a great car (for the price). The problem is just.. general opinion. I don't know who creates these generalizations about stuff, but when they're dead wrong it pisses me off. Like mopars reliability. My grandma has had her current van for 110k. No problems. I had my neon for 104k. One problem. Fixed under warranty. I know neons with over 200k. They run fine.

- Rob

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 10:07 PM

The reputation comes from those of us who've had the opposite experience.

Good for you and your grandmother that you had good experiences but I can name four caravan/voyagers that all wore out the camshaft at 70k mi. and the dealers knew it would happen (the parts counter kept it as a commonly stocked part.)

I also went through three manual transmissions for the caravan. I'm not a dunce and have had hondas last 220k mi on the same trans, and the same clutch. The MOPAR just happened to be a real piece of poor manufacturing/engineering.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

passmaster16
Senior User
Jul 1, 2003, 11:13 PM

I second the Element or Odyssey but you should know I'm partial to Honda so maybe that would discredit my opinion as well

As far as the MOPAR reputation, I agree with vmarks, there are many who have not had good experiences with them. My brother has a 2000 voyager which has given him trouble from the beginning. My neighbor had a 2001 town and country that blew a tranny at 20k miles. Are they getting better? Probably, but people tend to remember these issues and generally try to stay away from products they've had bad experiences with. That's not to say you won't have a bad experience with anything else. It just seems that problems occur with some makes more often than others.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2003, 11:27 PM

She could afford it, but I highly doubt she wants to spend that much. I'm thinking 20gs or under. She could afford an expensive car, but I don't think she really cares about any of that stuff. It's like SeanYepez getting an M3. What a waste of an M3 on an ignorant undserving fool. Same thing with my Gma getting such an expensive wagon.

- Rob

Have her drive the Forester and see what she thinks about it. Two of my neighbors have owned a couple of them a piece, and would swear their own children on them. I haven't heard much of anything negative about them, but make sure she gets an XT!

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2003, 11:34 PM

Don't they make a turbo version of the PT now?

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Don't they make a turbo version of the PT now?
Yeah, it uses the same engine as the Neon.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2003, 11:44 PM

You mean a Neon isn't on the list?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 2, 2003, 02:01 AM

I must agree that the Element is really ugly. My vote is for the Honda Odyssey, or whatever the comparable Toyota is.

tooki

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 03:10 AM

Originally posted by Timo:
I think CaseCom researched his car choice for something like forty years before settling on a Subaru Forester...
Hey! You're just miffed that I didn't buy a Passat wagon.

I'm liking the Forester more and more, especially now that I'm more used to driving it. Handles really well, good cargo space. Excellent crash-test results. Back seat might be a bit tight for that trip to Texas though.

A used one would be a good choice, but the '03s are a little more refined on the inside and a little more attractive on the outside. You could get a base '03 X model for less than $20K.

Or drop $26K on an '04 XT and make sure you can borrow it ... C&D claims the manual went 0-60 in 5.3, quarter-mile in 13.8.

The Pacifica looks nice, but aren't they $32-34K? Yikes. But the room would be nice for that Texas trip.

I found the PT Cruiser to be a little too small, especially in front with that sloping roof. But hey, old people seem to love 'em

I've seen a couple of Elements in action, and if you want to put people in the back seat it looks like access to the back is pretty awkward. Kind of like a coupe. (Also: She wouldn't like the "techno" styled Pontiac Vibe, but you're recommending an Element?)

What about a Ford Focus wagon? The seating position is actually pretty high for a small car. She might like it.

Or a Subaru Outback? Too much of a "lemming" car?
( Last edited by CaseCom; Jul 2, 2003 at 03:16 AM. )

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jul 2, 2003, 03:55 AM

Why not have her check out the Toyota Echo. Reliable, fuel efficient, inexpensive, and a better driving position than most small cars.

Otherwise just have her get a Hummer. One doesn't see too many oldsters in those. She could be the terror of the parking lots.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 04:50 AM

Ford-T
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Cipher13
Jul 2, 2003, 05:37 AM

How old is she? Old people should not be allowed to drive. :|

PB2K: shrink your sig dude.

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 08:12 AM

pacifica or forester. i'm leaning toward the forester, but test drive each.

itomato
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 09:24 AM

-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
Hey! You're just miffed that I didn't buy a Passat wagon.
Nah, bro, I like your choice. Just razzin' ya.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 2, 2003, 10:25 AM

- Ca$h

Look, clown. I used to have a '68 Dodge Dart (slant 6). And I loved it. So STFU. I'm totally cool with MOPAR stuff.

I'm talking of the build quality of Chrysler mini vans of TODAY. Not the glories of yesteryear.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 10:49 AM

VW New Beetle

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 11:49 AM

Camry seems to be the choice of the elderly round here.

Even my grandparents are on their second.

Love it because it's powerful enough, but not to much, not sporty, but not clunky...

It's just a nice balance for them.

Not to mention big enough for some stuff when they go cross country.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 06:27 PM

just because i want one....

1983 Cadillac Deville

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2003, 08:25 PM

Pacifica looks great. But expensive. Way out of the price range you are looking at.

I would cast another vote for the forrester if she is looking new. They seem like a great convergence car. She may miss the space of a mini-van though. Old folks just loves the mini-van.

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 2, 2003, 08:49 PM

Okay, just got back from car shopping.

First off, I'd like to thank all the dead beat dirty hippies who apparently cannot READ, and suggested stupid hybrid cars like the Prius or Echo. She doesnt' want a dinky wang save the world car. She wants a car that can haul 5 people comfortably.

Anyway, it looks like she likes the forester a lot. She also dug the Vibe/Matrix (man, apart from the front end and taillights there is like ZERO difference.. even teh interior is exactly the same!), BUT it's cheaper (in price and in feeling) smaller, and kinda shoddy compared to the Subie.

All in all I think a new forester is coming to our family.

BTW, I just hit 150k in my SVX. Woo woo.

- Ca$h

PS: Her minivan's camshafts are fine. And the minivan she had before that was also fine. You people are nuts. Chryslers minivans are rated the top minivan year after year after year after year....

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2003, 08:56 PM

- Rob
I got my car's oil changed today.
( Last edited by seanyepez; Jul 2, 2003 at 09:03 PM. )

permanent68  (op)
Banned
Jul 2, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I just got my oil changed today.

- $

Forum Links
Forum Rules