Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Up-To-Date

Panther Up-To-Date
kneisen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 12:37 PM

I just ordered a PowerBook G4 15.2" and it won't be delivered until after Panther is out. The lady at Apple said it will have Jaguar on it and I could purchse the Panther for $19.95, which I don't have a problem with. I was wonder though if it's a full verison or does it require OS X to be installed on the machine and it upgrades it to Panther. Thanks in advance for any help.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2003, 12:45 PM

Full version.

kneisen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 12:48 PM

Good .. now I can sleep at night knowing that. Well, sorta .. pretty excited about the PowerBook G4.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 11:30 PM

It will be the full version in the sense that it HAS the full OS X 10.3 in it, BUT the upgrade disk WILL CHECK that there is OS X 10.2 installed on the hard drive BEFORE it lets you install. After the CD verfies that you have 10.2 then it will behave exactly like a full install disk but YOU MUST have 10.2 installed prior to installing 10.3. This is how Apple did the 10.1 upgrade and the 10.2 upgrade CD's, there is no reson to believe Panther will be different.. You will have to have 10.2 installed. Period.
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

kneisen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 11:38 PM

That's what I thought ... guess I will stick with my $129 option since I hate upgrades.

Originally posted by RodriCO2000:
It will be the full version in the sense that it HAS the full OS X 10.3 in it, BUT the upgrade disk WILL CHECK that there is OS X 10.2 installed on the hard drive BEFORE it lets you install. After the CD verfies that you have 10.2 then it will behave exactly like a full install disk but YOU MUST have 10.2 installed prior to installing 10.3. This is how Apple did the 10.1 upgrade and the 10.2 upgrade CD's, there is no reson to believe Panther will be different.. You will have to have 10.2 installed. Period.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 11:42 PM

you may want to read the other existing thread about this same topic - some of the posts in it explain a little more about what kinds of installs you can do.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2003, 08:05 AM

What about the dev tools and the $20 update?

Is it all together on one DVD or are there multiple CDs? What will the $20 update include? Just one CD with Panther or also another CD with the updated dev tools?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by kneisen:
That's what I thought ... guess I will stick with my $129 option since I hate upgrades.
You don't have to take the upgrade an existing install option. You just need to have 10.2 on the computer before you install 10.3. Once the upgrade CD verifies you have 10.2, then you can erase all traces of 10.2 from your hard drive by choosing to format your disk before installing 10.3. It is a "full install" in that sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules