Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > [20" 1.8 G5] POP! then power off

[20" 1.8 G5] POP! then power off
rslifka
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2005, 10:12 PM

I've had this machine since last January, no problems.

Yesterday I get home, wake it up. Using it (web, email, whatever) then the speakers POP! and it shuts down. Rebooted, everything fine.

Tonite, same thing. I wake it up, POP shuts down. Two reboots, each time a POP when at the desktop right after loading. Third reboot, and it works.

You know what the craziest thing is? I think having a DVD in the drive might be causing it. The Sims 2 was in when I woke it up yesterday. I popped it out right away and everything was fine. After the second reboot time I popped out the sims dvd and now I'm using it fine.

Something wrong with my DVDR maybe?

Rob

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 07:17 AM

Defective power supply?

Open it up and check for capacitors that have popped their tops.
http://www.pbase.com/johncoggi/image/40667989

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rslifka  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 11:46 AM

I found out about this debacle last night. My machine is in the range of affected serial numbers, so I'm pretty sure I'll find a load of 'x'-caps under the hood. I'm out of town for the next 3 days so I'm hoping I can drop it off at a local Apple Store today (since I won't be here to miss playing The Sims )

Rob

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2005, 11:56 AM

Sounds like you have some busted capacitors, I've heard a nasty rumor that it's common on these machines. I bet if you pop the back off you'll see some of the black capacitors are bulging or leaking fluid. When a capacitor blows the system sees a power outage, because basically it is a small one and the system shuts off. You should have it looked at and warranty'd if you can.

- Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

rslifka  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 03:26 PM

My machine actually works... kind of. I didn't open it, but kept using it. Then on Friday afternoon (day after my original post) it stopped working completely. The power button wouldn't even turn it on.

I dropped it off at the Apple Store in Valley Fair (San Jose), no questions asked. Of course when HE plugs it in, the machine powers up and I look like an idiot. I should have it back in 1 1/2 weeks when they replace the logic board (~$800) and the power supply (~$80), all warrantied.

I really like this type of local support, so I'm going to get AppleCare and ProCare. Small potatoes compared to how expensive it would have been to fix o/w!

Rob

rslifka  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 06:51 PM

Just a bit of closure here... The machine was ready Monday (only took 4 days, not 1.5 weeks!) and everything works great. Good stuff.

Rob

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 08:46 PM

I've heard of Capacitators blowing out several times... maybe it'll happen 4 times and you can get one of the new iMacs!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules