Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook hinge problem - Anyone use MacResQ for this?

TiBook hinge problem - Anyone use MacResQ for this?
donutogre
Mar 17, 2006, 03:25 PM

Hey all,

I have a workhorse 1GHZ TiBook with a gig of ram and a 100 gig hard drive...it's a very nice computer still though it has certainly seen better days. But a few months ago, the screen hinge on the right side busted....I can still use the computer fine as a laptop, I just have to be very gentle opening and closing the screen. For awhile I considered just selling it and taking a price hit, but I think I'd be better served getting it fixed so I can use it more on the go if I keep and get more money if I sell it.

www.macresq.com offers a TiBook hinge refitting for $269.00, which seems slightly pricey to me, but on the other hand I have no skill repairing hardware and would not want to attempt something like this on my own. Does anyone have any experience using this company for hinge repairs?

If not, can you recommend anyone else who does such a job? Thanks!
~nate

donutogre  (op)
Mar 20, 2006, 11:23 AM

i guess not?
~nate

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 01:41 PM

I've done it myself and wish I'd paid to have someone else do it! I think I paid $90 for the hinges and doing the repair wasn't that difficult (if you think tearing the whole computer apart isn't difficult) but i made some mistakes when removing the front lcd bezel and it doesn't fit perfectly and I have no one to blame but myself.

Not sure if Macresq is any good, but there are some others:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com

http://www.macservice.com ($195)
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2006, 02:17 PM

Long ago I purchased a Powerbook from MacResQ and it was a great transaction. Recently I had a Powerbook G4 serviced by MacService. They're really quick. For an extra $50 on top of the service charge they'll overnight the box to you, overnight the PB to them, service it in 24 hours and overnight it back home to you. So basically a 3 day turnover.

They installed a Superdrive to replace my broken combo drive and they also fixed my keyboard free of charge. They're great.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

luvaboi217
Mar 20, 2006, 02:26 PM

Ive done the repair myself. And it turned out great. I did the repair so I could sell it on ebay. It ended up getting stolen in the mail, but tats another story.

Anyway, if you decide to do it yourself. Here is a failsafe method for taking off the front bezel.

I cut a peice of plastic from those plastic cases that electronics come in- that hard plastic that you need scissors to cut, and are aggrivating as hell to get open. I use the small peice to get underneath the bezel through the front, and out the side. Once I did that, I threaded a peice of floss(you could probably use fishing string too) and ran the floss around the bezel and the bezel popped up easily, and unbent. Then I stuck in the replacement hinges and and glued the lcd back together. It ended up costing me 125 for both stainless steel hinge replacements.

I'm sure that wasnt the answer you were looking for, but its an alternative.

donutogre  (op)
Mar 22, 2006, 04:16 PM

wow luvaboi that's pretty slick. i'm not going to try that though cause i am just way too clumsy!
~nate

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by donutogre
wow luvaboi that's pretty slick. i'm not going to try that though cause i am just way too clumsy!

If you have SAFEWARE.COM insurance repair is free!

Homeowner insurance fixes it for cost of deductable!

Just don't say it's a computer defect.... just say you dropped it or you don't know how it happened!
We all know it's Apples poor hinge design on TIPBs

When Safeware fixed mine they said battery was only holding a 90 minute charge.... so they sent me a new one from Apple as well as the old one back! WHAT A DEAL!

jasong
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 09:13 PM

Also, I'd call Apple first. I just had my 1 Ghz TiBook left hinge replaced by them (covered under AppleCare) a few months ago. If you have AppleCare coverage, it might still be covered, and even if not, who knows? Maybe you'll get a nice guy on the phone.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules