Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15'' or 17'': which is more quiet?

15'' or 17'': which is more quiet?
ddaix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 03:36 AM

I'm about to get a new PowerBook as soon as the new models are released and I would like to know if anyone on this board has any experience with both the 15'' and the 17'' models, especially regarding heat dissipation and fan noise.

I would really like to keep my working environment as quiet as possible and even though my natural inclination would be to get the 15'' model (more portable and better proportioned, at least to my eyes), if the 17'' runs cooler and quieter (because it's larger and less tighly packed, though it's thinner), I'd be willing to buy that model instead.

Most of the time, the PowerBook will be used as a desktop replacement connected in clamshell-closed mode to a 20'' cinema display.

Right now the impression I've got from reading posts here and on Apple's forums is that both models are just about as noisy as each other. But any additional "first-hand" information would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 05:12 PM

Both 15" and 17" suck if the fan comes on! It's just very loud compared to the ususal nise level.

During normal operations (no fan running) the disk is the loudest item. As you will not know exactly which disk model will be build in, it's impossible o tell which model is louder. My 17" has a 5400 disk with 16MB cache from Toshiba. That's blazing fast but unfortunately louder than the standard disk in the 15".

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2005, 01:29 AM

When using an external monitor, can the built in Powerbook screen be totally turned off without shutting the lid?
Agent69

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
When using an external monitor, can the built in Powerbook screen be totally turned off without shutting the lid?
Yes. This is closed-lid mode.

Connect the PowerBook to AC power, external screen, KB/mouse and put it to sleep by closing the lid. Wake it up again with the external KB/mouse and you will be using only the external display. The internal screen will be off and all VRAM will be used for the external display. If you open your PowerBook, you'll see just a black screen. Disconnect the external screen and the internal screen will turn back on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules