Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Annoying startup chime sound

Annoying startup chime sound
MacPC
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2006, 09:44 AM

I've been using the Mac since the Mac 512K,(remember the funky looking box?) I like the Mac and everything but one thing that never changes is the startup chime sound. My Mac mini is plug into a sound mixer and from there to my speaker system which shares with my other PCs. Everytime I restart the Mac the chime sounds comes on, it is very annyoing! Is there any way to turn this sound off for good? I heard from somewhere that it is in the ROM and it can't be changed. Just wondering if there 's any Guru here found a way to do it. Perhaps I should start a partition and send it to Apple to ask them to turn it off.

MacPC

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 11:09 AM

Chime Stopper is a software hack that will work.
AlphaOmega Software

ibook_steve
Oct 13, 2006, 01:12 AM

I don't know what a "partition" will do, but if you are truly a Mac fan from the old days, you'd understand that the startup chime is one of those things that define the Mac! It was hard enough losing the happy Mac at boot for the gray apple. Trust me, there is no way Apple will get rid of the startup chime.

Steve

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2006, 02:17 AM

In addition to the above software suggestion, you can download "Startup Sound" from versiontracker.com

It allows you to reduce the volume or mute it completely. Works very well on my 12" PB under 10.4.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules