Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > dual head on new 24" or 20" iMac

dual head on new 24" or 20" iMac
MacPC
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2007, 08:13 PM

Hi,
Hi,

I am considering to get the new 24" or 20" iMac, one thing I really need is to be able to use dual monitor.

What I want is to hook up my 22" Acer widescreen to it as a external monitor. The Acer has both DVI and VGA input and I know the iMac has a external video output. What I need to know tho is that what mode does the external monitor is going to be? I don't want it to be just a mirror, I want it to be either a extended desktop or perhaps and addition desktop. Can someone tell me more about that cuz the guy in Apple store wasn't sure.

Thanks.

M

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 08:43 PM

I am extending my desktop with a 23" Apple display. I purchased a mini-dvi to dvi adapter at an Apple store. Absolutely no problems extending the desktop.

Here is a picture of my setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12684757@N02/1325401526/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2007, 08:58 PM

Buy the miniDVI-DVI adapter and you can use it to extend your desktop.

OS X doesn't support multiple desktop users (having multiple users on one machine with multiple screens/keyboard/mice) like Linux does.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Macvoid View Post
I am extending my desktop with a 23" Apple display. I purchased a mini-dvi to dvi adapter at an Apple store. Absolutely no problems extending the desktop.

Here is a picture of my setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12684757@N02/1325401526/
Nice setup you have there!

What startles me is the difference in color between the two monitors! The iMac colors are so oversaturated compared to the ACD... and not only that, it appears that the hue is also a bit on the green side. Or it is just me?

In your photo, no reflection appears to the screen. Is it because of the photo taken from that angle, or there really are no reflections while you work (due to the environment)?.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 5, 2007, 02:40 AM

^ yeah that is a nice setup! Wish Apple would still make a 12" MBP.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
What startles me is the difference in color between the two monitors! The iMac colors are so oversaturated compared to the ACD... and not only that, it appears that the hue is also a bit on the green side. Or it is just me?
The two screens are at completely different viewing angles. They could also be using two different colour profiles. Ergo, a direct comparison isn't possible from a photo.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 06:47 AM

I didn't even know that there is such a thing as miniDVI-DVI adapter. I love my G4 mini, I use it as a server as well as other things, the only thing I don't like about it is it can't have dual head. If I can extend my desktop, I'll for sure get the new iMac, but I will wait for the new OSX tho.

One Linux, it can be Xinerama or TwinView, I wonder if the new Leopard can do that?

Here is my setup. Mac G4 mini server.

On the left is my beloved Mini hidding under the desk, sitting quitely doing it's work. On the right, the blue machine is a home-made dual core PC running Ubuntu, the stupid Windows Vista is running off VMware on top of the Ubuntu.

M.
( Last edited by MacPC; Sep 5, 2007 at 07:07 AM. )

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
Nice setup you have there!

In your photo, no reflection appears to the screen. Is it because of the photo taken from that angle, or there really are no reflections while you work (due to the environment)?.
Prior to buying my iMac, I read a number of disussions regarding the glossy versus matte finish monitors. There was a great deal of concern expressed, particularly in relation to "professional" use. There was one reply that said basically, "I am a professional and like the glossy finish." I think they may have been kidding, but it hit home for me. I complete most of my work projects from home and I am most interested in screen space. Of course, I would have loved to have a Mac Pro with two 30" monitors. But, that setup would have been well beyond my budget.

I will admit that I am not a user who can appreciate calibrations of a monitor or nuances of color. But, here are my oberservations.

1. I would prefer to have two monitors with the same finish. I already owned the Apple display, so I was committed.

2. I have no overhead lighting in my home office. So, I don't have the glare one see's when in an Apple store.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:28 PM

I think that the like-it-or-like-it-not debate about the glossy display of the new iMacs have already driven a lot of others threads out of topic, so in an effort to minimize the possibilities that the same happens here (and in anticipation of posts from both sides), let's not post our *opinions* about the glossy thing, but rather stick on the *facts*, and that is comparison of the two screens side by side.

(Phew, that was a long sentence!)

So, even though the two displays in the picture are indeed in a slightly different angle, I disagree that this is the reason of such a great difference in color. If colors in flat displays were to change as much as this, by minute differences in position, then it would be ridiculous for every professional to work on an LCD.

Having said that, I would like to insist on my prior beleif: it *looks* (based on the photo depicted above) that there is noticeable color inconistency between the two monitors.

Are there any other members of the forums who have connected an external display (either ACD or not) to their iMacs? If so, can they tell us about it, or even better, post a pic as well?

Thanks a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules