Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Scanner sharing between Leopard and Snow Leopard

Scanner sharing between Leopard and Snow Leopard
MacPC
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2010, 10:30 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a question. Recently I got a Intel Mac mini that has Snow Leopard on it. I am using this Mac Mini as a server. My other two Macs are running Leopard (10.5.8).

I hooked up my Epson CX4200 printer/scanner to the new mini, I turned on printer sharing, all my other Macs found it and it works great. But I would also like to share the scanner as well. On Snow Leopard, there is Scanner Sharing, so I turn it on, but on the Leopard, there is no such thing as Scanner Sharing, is there a way I can share the Scanner with the Leopard Macs?

Thanks in advance.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2010, 11:04 PM

Sharing multifunction devices through a network is hit or miss - generally miss. It requires that all computers sharing the device have networking-capable drivers, and that's the big problem. Not many such devices have any sort of network support, let alone support for sharing the device across a network to some other computer. Basically it's a crapshoot, and you're using loaded dice. Someone else's loaded dice.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2010, 01:23 AM

I don't really "get" the idea of a shared scanner.

You need to have physical access to the scanner to "load" it. Then you need to go back to the remote computer and scan. Then you go and unload the documents ???

Why set the scanner up close to one computer, and make that a scanning workstation ?
Then save the scan on a Dropbox folder and all is good.

-t

ibook_steve
Feb 24, 2010, 07:44 PM

Our multifunction copier at work lets you scan and enter an email address to send a pdf to. Very handy and probably a better implementation than using "scanner sharing."

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Our multifunction copier at work lets you scan and enter an email address to send a pdf to. Very handy and probably a better implementation than using "scanner sharing."

Steve
That functionality rarely exists in consumer devices.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Same here. I use that quite often actually. Very nice feature.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Well, turtle777 it's like printer sharing, you still need to go to the printer to pick up your copy. The point is everyone on the network can scan and print from his/her Mac without bothering the one who has the scanner attached.

A multifunction copier is out of my reach, any other pratical solution?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
Well, turtle777 it's like printer sharing, you still need to go to the printer to pick up your copy. The point is everyone on the network can scan and print from his/her Mac without bothering the one who has the scanner attached.
Yes, but for scans, you need to go TWICE

-t

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2010, 01:23 AM

Oh no, turtle777, not at all!! With the VNC app or some remote app on the iPhone I only have to go ONCE.
There is an app for that!! :}

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 09:56 AM

Oh no, turtle777, not at all!! With the VNC app or some remote app on the iPhone I only have to go ONCE.
There is an app for that!! :}
And you're telling me this is easier than dedicating one Mac for scanning operations ?

How much do scan ?

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
And you're telling me this is easier than dedicating one Mac for scanning operations ?
I *think* he may have been joking, but I'm basing that on an LOL smiley, so I could be wrong.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure.

The whole idea of shared scanning doesn't make sense to me (unless you have a pro scanenr that can email documents).

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 11:42 AM

Yeah, but a scanner capable of mailing PDF docs wouldn't need to be shared in the first place.

I do see the benefit of using a scanner without annoying the person whose computer it's attached to.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yeah, but a scanner capable of mailing PDF docs wouldn't need to be shared in the first place.
Well, by definition, it is shared then. Just doesn't need a workstation attached to it

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I do see the benefit of using a scanner without annoying the person whose computer it's attached to.
Yes, I agree.

But this really depends on how much scanning you need to do, and how urgent it is at the point you need to do it.

My take on it is this:

* for occasional scanning that's not time-critical (i.e., needing to be done that very hour), a scanner on a shared workstation should be fine. This should apply for a home environment that OP is talking about

* for high volume scanning, a shared scanner would be a very poor solution. Plus, the Epson 4200 is less than ideal for that use.

* for occasional time-critical scans, a shared scanner would be nice. But a dedicated scanner workstation would work as well.
In a home environment, would it be too much to ask the person using the scanner workstation to step aside for 2 minutes to do the time-critical scan ?

-t

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2010, 10:01 PM

OK guys, this topic has digressed too far, I tried to be humorous about some of your replies. But I have my reason to set up scanner sharing simply because I like everyone to use the scanner when they need it, without interrupting and bothering the person using the Mac that has the scanner attached to it. It doesn't concern anyone about when, how and why. It is legit technical question and can someone give me a technical solution instead of these chitchats? The title of this topic is "Scanner sharing between Leopard and Snow Leopard" remember?

Thanks
( Last edited by MacPC; Feb 26, 2010 at 10:11 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 26, 2010, 10:38 PM

My point stands. You have to have a scanner that supports networking in its drivers-that often means one driver for the host Mac and a very different driver for the remote Macs. Usually, it's best to shop for this feature first and then worry about anything else.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2010, 09:50 AM

OK guys, this topic has digressed too far, I tried to be humorous about some of your replies. But I have my reason to set up scanner sharing simply because I like everyone to use the scanner when they need it, without interrupting and bothering the person using the Mac that has the scanner attached to it. It doesn't concern anyone about when, how and why. It is legit technical question and can someone give me a technical solution instead of these chitchats? The title of this topic is "Scanner sharing between Leopard and Snow Leopard" remember?

Thanks
There is none.

Kthxbai.

Is that what you need to hear ?

-t

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2010, 11:08 AM

Please don't get me wrong, I love to hear what you guys have to say but I really like to find a practical solution to this as scanner sharing does have a useful application in the workplace. So far the closest solution is Image Capture, but that doesn't seem to work between Leopard and Snow Leopard. Well, if all failed then I will find a way to make it happen!!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2010, 08:56 AM

As I said, start looking at the drivers. The units that have network-capable drivers have a higher chance of doing what you want.

landlessness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2010, 05:47 AM

MacPC,

I'm looking for the same solution. I'm having no luck. In Snow Leopard Scanner Sharing is now a checkbox in System Preferences > Sharing. While in Leopard it's under Image Capture > Devices.

I've tried every variation I can imagine and haven't gotten the scanner to work with either Leopard or Snow Leopard sharing the device.

Please let me know if you find a solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules