Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > iMac + PC + D-link wireless router = no LAN

iMac + PC + D-link wireless router = no LAN
gustavs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2010, 04:21 AM

Hello.

I am having trouble setting up LAN between my iMac and PC. I am using D-link DIR-300 router.

Both computers are receiving internet, however on neither on them the other one is in the network. I can see both computers on my routers DHCP client list.

I seted up workgroup "HOME" under my airport settings->WINS, but that didn't changed anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

MacPC
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2010, 04:56 AM

Your post isn't very clear, are your using Leopard, Snow Leopard on your Mac? What Windows you have on your PC?

In general, if your are talking about file transfer between Mac and PC, you need to connect using SMB protocol instead of afp.

gustavs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2010, 05:08 AM

Thanks. I connected using SMB, however I can't connect the shared printer which is connected to Windows. PC's would be visible in the finder's sidebar only if I would be using Airport express router?

I am using Mac OS X 10.6.2 and Windows 7.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2010, 06:25 AM

PCs show up in the Finder's sidebar in the "Shared" area completely regardless of who made your router.

If the PC isn't showing up, either the Finder is set not to show shared computers in the sidebar, or the PC is incorrectly configured (firewall perhaps?).

Whether a PC shows up in the sidebar should be quite irrelevant to whether its printer is shared, though.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2010, 07:16 AM

Firewalls on both ends could prevent your seeing either computer. It's also important to configure BOTH computers to share; use Explorer and right-click on items in the PC's directory/device tree and then select "Sharing" to configure sharing those resources, and use the Sharing preferences pane to configure sharing the Mac's resources.

Also, Windows has this really stupidly named "Simple Sharing" thing. It's neither simple nor does it really help with sharing anything. Here are Microsoft's instructions for disabling Simple Sharing and then setting file permissions for functional sharing. One thing Simple Sharing breaks is browsing other computers on the network (sometimes) so this could be the biggest issue you're facing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

gustavs  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2010, 04:02 AM

I managed to connect to the shared computer using SMB and setup the shared printer too. The hard way.

If anyone else needs to know here is how:
System preferences -> Printers & Fax -> Add Printer -> Advanced

Type: Windows
URL: smb://username[email protected]/printername (the printers SHARING name is set in Windows -> Printer preferences. It should have no spaces or other symbols)

Name: as you wish
Print Using: Choose "Select printer software" and find drivers for your printer.

That's all.

The only thing I haven't been able to do is make the shared computer appear in Finders sidebar. It only appears there after I've connected to it manually using Finders connect to server function.

Forum Links
Forum Rules