Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Aliases not working

Aliases not working
MacPC
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 06:43 AM

Hi,

I have a Mac mini G4, OS is Tiger 10.4.8. I created some aliases for my apps. and dragged them to the dock. For some reasons, when I clicked on the alias icons in the ock, some of them turned into a question mark and not doing anything. I am wondering if this is not the poper way to place apps into the dock? If so what is the proper way then?

MacPC

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2006, 06:54 AM

If I understand your problem, it sounds like you might have made an alias of the application, then dragged the alias into the dock. That would have made an alias of the alias. If you delete the original alias, well confusion rears its ugly head.

Simplest way is to just drag the application into the Dock. Open the Applications folder, click on the program you want and drag it to the Dock. The Mac will make an alias automatically, the application doesn't actually "move".

Forum Links
Forum Rules