Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PearPC

PearPC
MacPC
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2006, 09:18 PM

Hi,

I downloaded this program called PearPC, from what I understand, it's a emulator that can run OS X on Windows platforms. However, I have no clue where to start to get it working. The furtherest I have now is a OS X image, I don't even if I am doing this correctly. It's my dream to have OS X on my Windows machine.) I am hoping someone here who has the experience or the knowledge can help me.

Thanks in advance.

MacPC.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 09:21 PM

Try going through the information here: Main Page - PearPC

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2006, 07:01 PM

FWIW, PearPC is extremely slow, even on fast hardware (I used it on a 2.8GHz HT P4 with 2GB DDR RAM). You might consider patching and installing the Intel-compatible version of Tiger instead and dual-booting your computer with Tiger and Windows.

Details here: wiki.osx86project.org. If you're adventurous enough to try PearPC, I think you can handle dual-booting with Tiger.

Both violate the EULA/TOS of OS X, so if you're okay with that, Intel OS X will be much nicer to use than PearPC.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
It's my dream to have OS X on my Windows machine. I am hoping someone here who has the experience or the knowledge can help me.

Thanks in advance.

MacPC.
Buy a Mac and dual boot to Windows

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 09:38 PM

Just like others have mentioned, there are two ways to get OS X running on a PC, both technically illegal, and neither without its flaws.

1) PearPC: emulates a PPC processor on Windows. You will need any copy of OS X (10.3 works best here, however). Unfortunately, you are looking at about 1/15th native speed, which will make a 2 GHz processor feel like 133 MHz. More information can be found here and here.

2) Intel-native, known in certain communities as OSx86. This is basically the Intel-version of 10.4 patched to run on generic hardware. It runs fast, but requires you to partition your drive to run it. The most glaring problem with this method (other than its illegality) is a dearth of drivers. Only certain video cards, NICs, etc will run properly. For more information, try InsanelyMac.com and the OSx86Project wiki.

Sorry, but we can't offer any more information here, as the use of either of these methods is in violation of Apple's EULA.
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Dec 1, 2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Edited for typos)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 01:18 PM

Hi,

Feynmen, I do have two Macs, A Mac mini G4 and an old PowerBoo G5k, I also have a triple boot PC, Win2K pro, WinXP pro and Ubuntu, would be fun to have Mac OS X to join the OS party.

I don't care about this EULA thing, I am not using it for anything else but to play with the OSes, As far as I concern, I paid for it and I can do whatever I want with it. I just want want to know if it can be done. I didn't know the Intel OS disk can work on PC hardware, so if I buy the new Panther or Tiger OS disk, I can run it on my PC? Cool. A quadruple boot PC !!!!

MacPC

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 03:12 PM

There is no Intel Mac OS X disk available for sale. You'll have to download a hacked version if you want to run it on generic hardware, and even then it probably won't work quite right.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
There is no Intel Mac OS X disk available for sale. You'll have to download a hacked version if you want to run it on generic hardware, and even then it probably won't work quite right.
Bummer!

How do I make a Mac OS DVD iso or img? I made one but it doesn't seem to work, I don't know if I am doing somethimg wrong.

MacPC

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2006, 03:48 PM

no warez..
( Last edited by Peter; Dec 2, 2006 at 04:23 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2006, 04:23 PM

wrong forum,
no piracy.
!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules