Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > SSH server

SSH server
MacPC
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2006, 02:51 PM

Hi,

I have set up my Mac mini as a SSH server. I have registered a domain name at DynDNS.org.

On the PC , which i part of my network, , I use PuTTY to sign on to my Mac, if I use the local Mac IP addres, 192.168.1.100, I can see Drawin on the PC, but when I switched to the domain name, the PC doesn't see my Mac.

Can one PC on my LAN be the client in order to test it? If the PC can see the Mac on its localIP, does it mean that the SSH is set up correctly?

MacPC.

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 01:19 PM

When you access using your domain name, you are connecting to your external IP address, which would be your router.

You need to tell your router to forward the connections on port 22 to your servers LAN address. The directions depend on your router, but there is usually a tab called port forwarding or something like that.

IMO, this is safer than using the "DMZ" option which forwards all ports to the servers LAN address.

Be aware that having your server accessible on the internet has some risks. You should be sure to turn on the firewall on your server (but check the box to allow remote access) and be sure all accounts have non-trivial passwords for log-in.

There are other ways to increase security: like disabling password login and using secure keys only and/ or to change the port on which remote access works to a non standard port. If you want to do those things, ask in the UNIX forum where the UNIX gurus hang out.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 06:03 PM

If your two systems are on the same local lan you might want to checkout adding the the IP the the host file. On both systems or the PC.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2006, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the replies. It works now. I got confused at first because I VNC to the Mac with its internal ip instead of the external ip. Then when I switched to the external ip, I forgot I need to turn the port forward on,. It's funny to see what a different on speed between VNC to my Mac with the internal ip vis the external one. rabbit and turtle.

MacPC

Forum Links
Forum Rules