Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Terminal annoyance

Terminal annoyance
MacPC
Forum Regular
May 23, 2007, 10:57 PM

Hi,

This is really annoying. I have a text editor and a terminal open side by side, when I am typing on the text editor, if I push the mouse by mistake and the curser rolls over to the terminal, it will automatically activates the terminal, without knowing the curser is over the terminal window, whatever I type will come up on the terminal. How can I disable this feature?

MacPC

nerd
Senior User
May 23, 2007, 11:28 PM

How did you do that? I haven't seen windows activate from mouse roll over since the SGI days.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 12:09 AM

To tell you the truth, I don't really know how it happened. I don't recall it was like that. I only found out recently. I wonder if it 's because I installed Gimp which in turn I had to install X11. The terminal on my Linux box has this feature as well, but there is an option to turn it off. I can't find an option on the Mac terminal. I don't think it has one.

MacPC

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2007, 12:28 AM

I remember something about "focus follows mouse". After googling it, I found this site. Hope that helps!
My Blog-pakos.me

Brass
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 12:28 AM

The feature is called 'focus follows mouse' and is the default in a lot of unix X11 setups.

Are you using the bundled Mac OS X "Terminal" application, or an X11 terminal (eg, xterm, gnome-term), or iTerm, or something else?

iTerm does a sort of focus follows mouse, but only between its own windows and only when it is the front-most application.

I'm sure there is a global setting for focus follows moust built into Mac OS X, but I think it's a hidden preference... can't remember where I saw it though.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2007, 12:32 AM

Are you saying:
1) you are typing on the text editor while the mouse is hovering over the (X11?) terminal and when you click it goes to the terminal, or
2) you are typing on the text editor while the mouse is hovering over text editor and when you click it goes to the terminal?

If you are saying #1, then I guess that you want to disable the mouse so that you can't click on any other application. I don't know of a fix to do exacty that but you could shrink the terminal window, or use Command-Option-Click on the application in the Dock to hide all other applications, or put the mouse over the editor, or refrain from clicking.

I would not expect this to be an easy fix because once the mouse hovers over a different application, the focus goes to the other application. I would not expect this as a feature because it would make the mouse appear to be broken.

If you are saying #2, then that sounds wacky.

Brass
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 12:37 AM

I think this may be what you need:

Mac OS X Configuration Tips

Apparently there is an option in TinkerTool that does this same thing too.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 06:19 AM

Hi,

Thank you everyone for replying.

I found out what happened. It was the TinkerTool. I have it installed and forget about it. My little nephew loves my Mac and I let her play with it when she was here a month ago. She must have clicked on the Auto-active windows by mouse cursor button. Kid! Little monster!

M.

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 06:40 AM

BTW larrinski the link you found is very useful for future reference. Thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2007, 09:02 AM

MacPC: are you hip to GimpShop? It is the Gimp with a Photoshop-like interface...

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
May 24, 2007, 09:17 AM

besson3c, I havn't heard of GimpShop till now, I will have to try it. I love using the Gimp for my graphic editing. Amazing how such a good program comes free. Many thanks to the Gimp development team.

Does the Mac terminal have anything to do with X11? Isn't X11 prepackaged into the MacOS install disk? Just curious.

MacPC

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2007, 02:10 PM

The OS X Terminal application has nothing to do with X11. It runs under Aqua. X11 is on the install disk, though.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules