Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > ABC@home has added PPC OSX application

ABC@home has added PPC OSX application
zombie67
Senior User
Nov 21, 2007, 03:27 PM

I am reposting this with its own subject.

ABC@home now has applications for both intel and PPC Macs.

ChillyWilly5280
Nov 23, 2007, 08:57 AM

I see ABC@home suggests a 64 bit cpu for Mac. Is running it on a G4 pointless?

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Nov 23, 2007, 12:27 PM

They do? Where? There is only 32 bit applications for OSX, so having a 64 bit processor makes no difference. Of cource, G4 will naturally be slower than G5 or Intel.

Edit: Ah, in the minimum requirements section. That comment was there from before adding OSX applications. I think they just got lazy, and didn't edit it properly. With ABC, the application will run twice as fast on windows and linux if you are running a 64 bit *OS* (of course with a 64 bit processor too). There is no 64 bit application for OSX, so the bit size of the processor is irrelevant.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 23, 2007, 09:58 PM

No one added the link yet.

ABC@home

This is a math conjecture project. They're looking to prove an open problem, which if proved, would help a number of other open math problems.

ChillyWilly5280
Nov 23, 2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
With ABC, the application will run twice as fast on windows and linux if you are running a 64 bit *OS* (of course with a 64 bit processor too). There is no 64 bit application for OSX, so the bit size of the processor is irrelevant.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to check it out.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2007, 09:58 AM

I thought I would add that the project runs very slow on the PPC. I'm running it with a G5 and most units seem to take at least 12 hours to finish. The longest one I have had was around 36 hours. Those same units have been issued to windows computers and complete in as little as 6 hours.

Forum Links
Forum Rules