Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacNN gun owners?

MacNN gun owners?
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 12:53 PM

Do any of you guys own any guns or do any kind of shooting? Zombie preparedness, perhaps? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Now before any of you go crazy, remember that there is a political forum you can use to argue about gun control. Gun owning liberal here, so check your stereotypes at the door.

Here's my collection so far. The top one is my Ruger SR-556 I bought last year. The middle one is a JC Higgins shotgun from Sears Roebuck that my grandfather gave to my dad, which he then gave to me. The bottom one is my dad's home defense shotgun, a Mossberg 500. I'd like to get an LPC for concealed carry at some point, but my next gun will probably be an M44 Mosin Nagant.

Better Pics of the SR-556.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 12, 2010, 12:55 PM

I don't own one, but there is a P90 for sale at Gander mountain that I am in love with. AND it's relatively affordable.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I don't own one, but there is a P90 for sale at Gander mountain that I am in love with. AND it's relatively affordable.
I always thought those were pretty cool when I watched stargate, but the long barreled ones look weird to me. I've never shot anything in 5.7mm before, but I've heard it's fun. Before you think about buying one, make sure you can easily find ammo for it where you live. I don't think it's a common caliber yet.

Sealobo
Sep 12, 2010, 01:15 PM

i approve the Mossberg 500.

I thought fully automatic weapon is quite difficult to obtain in the state.

finboy
Sep 12, 2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post

I don't think the SR is full auto. Looks nice, I'd like to hear how it shoots.

There are a lot of Moisin-Nagant's out there, find some you can pick through and look at the bore. In particular, try to find one with little wear near the muzzle. There are some out there that are real dogs, but if you get one that has been sitting in an arsenal since the 50s, they can be real good shooters. There are some good scope mounts available these days too.

Don't have pics, but my next project is to zero all of the scopes I mounted in the off-season. Ruger Mini-30, has to have a WIDE angle scope, because it throws them all over the place, and two rimfire scopes I got from a place in PA. One of those is on a Marlin backpack gun that my Dad bought me for Christmas a few years ago.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
my next gun will probably be an M44 Mosin Nagant.
I just finished watching the History channel show Top Shot and a number of episodes used this weapon I think.

Personally I don't own any guns. My wife doesn't want any in the house and I don't disagree with her strongly enough to argue about it. I do enjoy shooting though and recently got to shoot a friends shotgun, uzi, and some larger automatics (I think something in the AR family and something in the HK family). My first time shooting was only a few years ago at a cheap range in vegas where I shot a berreta.

(If anyone lives in NY/NJ and wants to go to a range, PM me!)

To all of you gun owners, what prompted you to buy your first gun? Do you know anyone else that had one, are you in the armed services, or are you the first person on the block to have one? Is your spouse supportive? Do you practice regularly or is the gun just for show or home protection?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post

It's very difficult to get a fully automatic weapon, but the SR-556 is semi-automatic. It's Ruger's version of the AR-15, which is the civilian equivalent of the military M4 and M16. While it shares many parts, it's not the same. Some of the internal parts are different, so it only shoots one bullet every time you pull the trigger. Making it automatic or burst fire would be illegal.

bstone
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 01:36 PM

No, I don't own any guns.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 02:11 PM

I was planning on getting my firearms license last year, for hunting purposes, but then we got pregnant and life got busy. Next year, hopefully.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 12, 2010, 02:17 PM

Better Pics of the SR-556.

I saw one similar to this, for sale. Only like $500. How much did you pay for yours? I can be totally wrong though, I just know it looked SIMILAR to that. Like a "lightweight" m16 or something. The balance and weight was great though, the whole thing just felt really svelte.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2010, 02:53 PM

It's very difficult to get a fully automatic weapon, but the SR-556 is semi-automatic. It's Ruger's version of the AR-15, which is the civilian equivalent of the military M4 and M16. While it shares many parts, it's not the same. Some of the internal parts are different, so it only shoots one bullet every time you pull the trigger. Making it automatic or burst fire would be illegal.
"Very difficult" varies by state. In California, and probably New York and other lower New England states, you can pretty much forget about it due to local and state laws. In other states, the big hurdle is cost. With the 1986 "ban," the pool of legally registered automatic weapons available for sale was locked in, so prices just keep going up. We are talking about $10,000+ for an M16, $15,000 for an MP5. Plus the hassle of applying for the "transfer tax" and waiting sometimes over 6 months (with your thousands of dollars tied up in a purchase) for the application to be researched and approved. It involves a rather thorough background investigation, and there's really nothing the applicant can do to speed it up.

The real effect of the 1986 ban on new, civilian available automatic weapons was to simply make legal ownership of these firearms unaffordable for almost everyone but the well off. Really democratic.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

finboy
Sep 12, 2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post

To all of you gun owners, what prompted you to buy your first gun? Do you know anyone else that had one, are you in the armed services, or are you the first person on the block to have one? Is your spouse supportive? Do you practice regularly or is the gun just for show or home protection?
I grew up in a family where we could shoot just about anytime we wanted to. It was a hobby for all of us b/c of my Dad. My wife was familiar with guns when we met. We both see the need to have guns around for defense and protection, but we have yet to carry legally on a regular basis. That doesn't mean we don't take them with us.

I've always felt it was kind of my responsibility to own and use and promote, as part of being a good citizen. Where I grew up the cops were always 30 minutes away unless they'd come over to shoot a few rounds in the backyard. I've defended others a few times, not fun. Never shot anyone, but producing the gun was enough.

If you're not familiar, then having them in a home makes it MORE dangerous. Strangely (to some), having a law-abiding neighbor who has guns makes your house safer. But it's not a decision to take lightly. It's very expensive and risky, and ammo is getting more expensive all the time (though gun costs have dropped after inflation/quality is considered). I plan to teach my kids as much as I can as soon as I can so they won't be intimidated by one more tool.

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2010, 04:05 PM

Nice 556. Piston-driven is great, nothing like the buggy gas-powered M16, M4, or AR. Sure they do well when meticulously cleaned, but one shouldn't have to treat a combat rifle like porcelain.

I've been considering the HK 556 variant as a rifle. I have an eotech sight to go with it.

Been considering the FN Five-seven as a handgun.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 05:09 PM

Zero need to own one here thanks.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 05:09 PM

Beretta 92FS Inox

Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 12 gauge

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 05:17 PM

Another gun owning, and carrying, liberal here.

I have 4.

Ruger MKIII, .22 mostly for plinking

Ruger LCP, .380 carry pocket gun (I have a CPL)

Springfield Armory XD40. .40 S&W, home defense

Taurus Millenium Pro PT145, .45, also to carry. I just bought this one last Tuesday.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 05:45 PM

Where and how do you guys keep guns at home? I am thinking about a strongbox fitted into a wall in the basement.

Personally I think guns are useless for home defence - not that I am trying to get this thread moved - so I would not need them to be readily accessible.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Nice 556. Piston-driven is great, nothing like the buggy gas-powered M16, M4, or AR. Sure they do well when meticulously cleaned, but one shouldn't have to treat a combat rifle like porcelain.

I've been considering the HK 556 variant as a rifle. I have an eotech sight to go with it.

I've never actually seen an AR that needed to be kept as clean as you suggest. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people proudly boast that they've gone through 2000 rounds without cleaning, which I think is stupid. Clean it after use so it's stored clean and an AR should be good to go. More cleaning is appropriate in situations where you're in muck, in dirt and worse dust. In dusty environments, the AR needs to be lubricated sparingly and kept closed against dust entry, so you need to re-lube from time to time. Good quality ammunition is important too-low powered rounds lack the energy to operate the system, and dirty rounds gum everything up pretty badly. Combine those two (that's "Wolf Black Box" ammunition), and you wind up with stoppages.

The problem with piston-based ARs is that the straight-line design is compromised by the mass of the piston, and worse, the off-axis pressure on the carrier. Lots and lots of piston AR owners complain that they find their receiver extensions getting battered by the rear of the carrier-all due to the off-axis impulse.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2010, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Personally I think guns are useless for home defence - not that I am trying to get this thread moved - so I would not need them to be readily accessible.
What's your suggestion ?

Personally, I don't own guns, but a few tasers.

-t

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 06:52 PM

Another gun owner here!

I have a decent range of firearms, I really want a bolt action magazine fed .308 rifle though, something along the lines of a Remington 700, then my collection will be well rounded.

I have some friends that reload too, so it can be a lot cheaper to shoot, one of my rifles costs $.40-.50 a round... I dont shoot that one very much. actually I have not shot any of mine in about 8 months!

I live in colorado and it's relatively easy to get any class 3 products. a fully auto gun or suppressor can be had with an extensive background check and a $2-300 "tax stamp" personally I have no interest in any class 3 weapons, but I have researched the process. I am a mechanical engineering student and I have thought it might be interesting to make a supressor, but I would not attempt it without being legal. Being on the bad side of the law or the ATF is not the way I want to live life.

concealed carry is relatively easy to get too, take a class (usually about $100-$300) and then apply for the permit (extensive background check and takes 6 months and costs $152.50) then you can carry concealed.

I dont have any heavy political leanings either way, but having the right to bear arms is important to me.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2010, 07:14 PM

Glock 19 (3rd Gen)

Ruger GP-100 (.357 w/ 6" barrel)

S&W MP15 (upgraded w/ Daniel Defense barrel, LaRue 7" floating hand guard, EOTech 512, and MagPul stock)

Mossberg 500 Tactical

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2010, 07:36 PM

I have an Oly AR15 (16" bbl, long hand guard, flat top) with an Aimpoint M4.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I don't think the SR is full auto. Looks nice, I'd like to hear how it shoots.

Don't have pics, but my next project is to zero all of the scopes I mounted in the off-season. Ruger Mini-30, has to have a WIDE angle scope, because it throws them all over the place, and two rimfire scopes I got from a place in PA. One of those is on a Marlin backpack gun that my Dad bought me for Christmas a few years ago.
I've got exactly 1000 rounds through it right now. I had 2 failures to extract in the first 50 rounds, but haven't had a problem since. It's a laser beam. That's a good thing about .223/5.56. It's such a high speed shot that it has a really flat ballistics trajectory. You'll hit anything you aim at within a couple hundred yards. The only other AR15 I've ever shot was a Bushmaster, so I don't have much to compare it to.

What distance do you zero your scopes at? I've watched a few people zero theirs and it seems most people don't take range into account for some weird reason. I don't know much about scopes, but I zero my iron sights for 50 yards on my SR. Supposedly, that keeps it close on everything out to 250 yards with .223. Honestly, I'm not a good enough shooter yet to really be able to tell.

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I just finished watching the History channel show Top Shot and a number of episodes used this weapon I think.

We watched that show every week. The last few episodes were great! I hope they make it more like Top Chef next season. They need more individual competitions and everyone should have to compete every week.

I shot casually with friends in college that had guns. Then I worked at a gun factory. I started shooting a lot of different guns with them, but a military friend of mine took me out and taught me how to shoot and safely handle a gun. I used to shoot every month or two, but I quit my last job a little over a year ago. I'm just trying to survive until my new job starts. The ammo I have is saved for the zombiepocalypse or other natural disasters.
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I saw one similar to this, for sale. Only like $500. How much did you pay for yours? I can be totally wrong though, I just know it looked SIMILAR to that. Like a "lightweight" m16 or something. The balance and weight was great though, the whole thing just felt really svelte.
You can find them new for about $600 up to a few thousand. The one I have usually goes for about $1200-1600. I'm not allowed to say how much I got it for, I got it at a special in house price. You'd probably hate the balance on mine, a lot of people complain that it's too nose heavy. That giant quad rail on the front and the heavy gas block for the piston make it heavier and nose heavier than most AR-15s.
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The real effect of the 1986 ban on new, civilian available automatic weapons was to simply make legal ownership of these firearms unaffordable for almost everyone but the well off. Really democratic.
I think it's dumb that automatic weapons are illegal, but I'm not going to get into that here. I wouldn't want one anyway. I'd rather put every shot on target. I couldn't afford to shoot one anyway. It costs about $10-15 just to fill one 30 round magazine. I usually put 5 to 15 rounds in each when I go to the range to practice mag changes and get more shooting out of each session.

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post

I love it. Everyone that has shot it loves it. All the army people I know that have seen it are blown away after we put several mags through it quickly and open it up. Pull out the carrier and bolt and they're not only clean enough to eat off of, but cool to the touch.

One day, I'd love to have a red dot sight, but I'm going to stick with iron sights until I'm a better shot.

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Another gun owning, and carrying, liberal here.

I have 4.

Ruger MKIII, .22 mostly for plinking

Ruger LCP, .380 carry pocket gun (I have a CPL)

Springfield Armory XD40. .40 S&W, home defense

Taurus Millenium Pro PT145, .45, also to carry. I just bought this one last Tuesday.
Pictures? When did you buy your LCP? If you pull off the slide, look underneath, is there a letter stamped into it?

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I've never actually seen an AR that needed to be kept as clean as you suggest. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people proudly boast that they've gone through 2000 rounds without cleaning, which I think is stupid. Clean it after use so it's stored clean and an AR should be good to go. More cleaning is appropriate in situations where you're in muck, in dirt and worse dust. In dusty environments, the AR needs to be lubricated sparingly and kept closed against dust entry, so you need to re-lube from time to time. Good quality ammunition is important too-low powered rounds lack the energy to operate the system, and dirty rounds gum everything up pretty badly. Combine those two (that's "Wolf Black Box" ammunition), and you wind up with stoppages.

The problem with piston-based ARs is that the straight-line design is compromised by the mass of the piston, and worse, the off-axis pressure on the carrier. Lots and lots of piston AR owners complain that they find their receiver extensions getting battered by the rear of the carrier-all due to the off-axis impulse.
It's really nice not having to do much cleaning inside the upper, lower, and bolt/carrier group. The only part that gets nasty is the piston itself. There was a bit of carrier tilt wear on the buffer tube, but most of it happened in the first 200 rounds, it's stayed the same ever since. Besides, I think a replacement costs $10.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 08:48 PM

Beretta 92FS with 3 15 round clips.
45/47

finboy
Sep 12, 2010, 09:07 PM

What distance do you zero your scopes at? I've watched a few people zero theirs and it seems most people don't take range into account for some weird reason. I don't know much about scopes, but I zero my iron sights for 50 yards on my SR. Supposedly, that keeps it close on everything out to 250 yards with .223. Honestly, I'm not a good enough shooter yet to really be able to tell.
There is a "sweet spot" for many rounds that will allow you to zero without having a long-range shot. For 22LR it's something like 25 feet, as I recall, that puts you on target again at 50 yards. With 223 I don't have any idea. Most folks are worried about side-to-side zero because you have to adjust for range anyway when shooting.

With the hunting rifle I'll put it at 100 yards if that range is open. With the Mini-30 I'll start at 50 yards and see what kind of group I get. I'm not expecting terrific results.

It mainly depends on what you'll use it for. Most hunting takes place at 100 yards or less, unless you're out hunting mountain goat (or Cave Osama). That's why so many experienced hunters set it up so they can still use their iron sights for close up shots.

I started to put a scope on my Norinco AK, but I can't find a mount that doesn't jiggle all over the place. It's perfect up close believe it or not. Light bullet though.

.223 is such a light bullet that it's hard to kill anything with it, the velocity gives it the energy and that dissipates fast. I've never hunted with one, but I have friends who've tried to without much success over the years. It's designed to wound on the battlefield. Fun to shoot though. Got expensive there for a while. Any cross-wind and you're screwed, however, because it's such a light bullet. For home defense it has its advantages and disadvantages, mainly that it will go a long way if not stopped by concrete or something, but it won't punch through a lot of things. The compact size of the gun, and capacity, and weight, make them ideal for protecting with. Shotgun is best, lever-action pretty good, but the capacity is something you can't argue with on the Bushmaster-style guns. Ruger makes a fine weapon, too.

finboy
Sep 12, 2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post

I dont have any heavy political leanings either way, but having the right to bear arms is important to me.
I think times are coming that folks won't be able to say that. Maybe it's different in CO, but in a lot of places they're getting pretty grabby with guns on the Left-hand side of the aisle.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Where and how do you guys keep guns at home? I am thinking about a strongbox fitted into a wall in the basement.

I keep them in a safe, except at night, when the 40 cal is on the dresser. A pistol is an ideal home defense weapon, especially in a smaller home. Trying to swing a shotgun or rifle around in tight spaces isn't so effective. What else would you use against a burglar?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2010, 11:47 PM

What else would you use against a burglar?
I got two tasers with laser guidance.

Also works as a stun gun after its fired.

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 11:50 PM

Pictures? When did you buy your LCP? If you pull off the slide, look underneath, is there a letter stamped into it?
The Mark III

The LCP

The Springfield

The Taurus

I bought the LCP a little over a year ago, to carry. It's ideal for that, but it's a tough gun to shoot, because it's so small it wants to twist in my hand. That's why I bought the Taurus last week; it's still concealable, but it's big enough to grip properly, and it'll stop an intruder.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2010, 05:12 AM

No guns here. My penis is adequately sized on it's own.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2010, 06:18 AM

I keep them in a safe, except at night, when the 40 cal is on the dresser. A pistol is an ideal home defense weapon, especially in a smaller home. Trying to swing a shotgun or rifle around in tight spaces isn't so effective. What else would you use against a burglar?
A dog.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2010, 07:33 AM

Very nice gear, guys. Pleasantly surprised to see you among gun owners, OldManMac.

I have to upgrade our family's personal collection. We have mostly handguns: A Beretta and a Glock, both 9mm, a snub-nose .357, a smaller caliber Walther, a very small pistol that we've stashed away and subsequently misplaced somewhere in the home (don't be alarmed - no kids are around) and a rifle of some sort.

I think I may sell a couple and pick up a Desert Eagle (for some obvious reasons), and I'd also like to pick up a shotgun. Those shotguns posted herein look awesome.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
A dog.
Dogs are excellent, and they can be great deterrents and defenders. They're certainly far better than nothing for home defense. But I personally get too attached to my dogs to want to rely on them too much for that purpose without having another option. I also view it as a patriotic duty of sorts for law-abiding Americans to exercise our rights under the 2nd Amendment.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 13, 2010 at 07:47 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2010, 07:42 AM

Is the Beretta a 92? That's way too big for my dainty hands, I couldn't even imagine what a DE is like.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 08:01 AM

Due to the strict laws in France, I got a stainless steel one of these :

Makes ALOT of smoke, gets cleaned in the sink using a bottle scrubbing brush, and now makes little holes where I want to at 25 metres. Bitch to load when its cold though. Having anything else is basically a pain paperwork wise. I fancied getting into clay pigeon shooting again, but other shooting (photography) is taking more of my revenue than it should.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2010, 08:04 AM

Springfield Armory 45ACP XD series.
Go to the range at least every other month to keep sharp.
I try to keep groupings within the spread of my hand at 45 feet.

I live in Loudoun county and we have had illegals breaking into abandoned houses, ordering pizza and hold up the pizza delivery guy, lots of illegals involved in crime, traffic problems, and drunk in public. I will take care of those who break and enter.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
No, I don't own any guns.
But the guy who car jacked you did

Anyway, I will end up getting one as soon as ranges start opening up closer to the city which I hope happens now that the silly ban was repealed. I don't see myself with a collection like some others but I do want to be able to go to a gun club or range for diversion.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

finboy
Sep 13, 2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Due to the strict laws in France, I got a stainless steel one of these :
Those are fair shooters. I have one of those and a Colt, but I feel safer with the Remington. Stainless is a good idea. You may be able to get smokeless black powder (Pyrodex brand here in the states) that is both safer and cleaner.

I've known folks over the years to keep those handy b/c they don't generate a federal weapons charge if caught carrying. The little tiny ones pack a wallop.

finboy
Sep 13, 2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is the Beretta a 92? That's way too big for my dainty hands, I couldn't even imagine what a DE is like.
I have the Taurus replica of the Beretta, and I was afraid it would be too big too, but with black rubber Uncle Mike's grips I can hold onto it just fine. It's big, though. It's very finicky with ammo, which I didn't realize until I started shooting crappy ammo (Fiocchi, for example).

When I bought it, new, I didn't really WANT a high-cap 9MM, but with all the laws the Clintons were talking about at the time, it didn't make sense to WAIT for them to be banned. Sure enough, just a little while later they banned 15-round clips (just as was predicted).

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 12:00 PM

HK USP40 stainless. It was a gift.

I like guns and would love to have more, but I just can't bring myself to spend my limited funds on them.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2010, 12:43 PM

I have the Taurus replica of the Beretta, and I was afraid it would be too big too, but with black rubber Uncle Mike's grips I can hold onto it just fine. It's big, though. It's very finicky with ammo, which I didn't realize until I started shooting crappy ammo (Fiocchi, for example).

When I bought it, new, I didn't really WANT a high-cap 9MM, but with all the laws the Clintons were talking about at the time, it didn't make sense to WAIT for them to be banned. Sure enough, just a little while later they banned 15-round clips (just as was predicted).
They're certainly usable in my case, but don't feel "natural" if you know what I'm saying.

So far, I've been happiest with a good 'ol 1911, but there are plenty others I'd like to try.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2010, 02:54 PM

It's very finicky with ammo, which I didn't realize until I started shooting crappy ammo (Fiocchi, for example).
You’re having ramping problems?

finboy
Sep 13, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
You’re having ramping problems?
Did have, until I polished the ramp with a Dremel and switched to something hotter (and cleaner, it turns out) than the Fiocchi stuff. Even the CCI plastic didn't have feed problems for the first 2000 rounds or so, it would shoot anything, even my light reloads, but after NOT shooting it for a couple of years it didn't want to work w/o the occasional stoppage. Polishing and better ammo fixed it, and fixed another finicky mag that I had too.

Can't argue with a 1911 variant, and I've heard good things about the Taurus ones. Haven't shot one yet.

I've got a Llama 9 1911 copy, and it is teh sweet. Need to put some grips on it though, and it isn't stainless. I have an aversion for blued guns these days, living near water. EVERYTHING rusts here (Houston).

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2010, 03:51 PM

The middle one is a JC Higgins shotgun from Sears Roebuck that my grandfather gave to my dad, which he then gave to me.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2010, 06:22 PM

The Mark III

The LCP

The Springfield

The Taurus

I bought the LCP a little over a year ago, to carry. It's ideal for that, but it's a tough gun to shoot, because it's so small it wants to twist in my hand. That's why I bought the Taurus last week; it's still concealable, but it's big enough to grip properly, and it'll stop an intruder.
If your LCP's slide has an L stamped into it, I made it. I really wish I'd bought one before I quit working there. I'm trying to get established in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I can't imagine trying to carry anything bigger than that with the heat and humidity here, especially when running or biking.
Originally Posted by FireWire View Post

No wonder my dad was so willing to give it to me.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Very nice gear, guys. Pleasantly surprised to see you among gun owners, OldManMac.
People are often more complex, and varied, than the labels we attach to them (I'm guilty of that at times also).

Dogs are excellent, and they can be great deterrents and defenders. They're certainly far better than nothing for home defense. But I personally get too attached to my dogs to want to rely on them too much for that purpose without having another option. I also view it as a patriotic duty of sorts for law-abiding Americans to exercise our rights under the 2nd Amendment.
I don't have any pets, and will never have any. A dog can be a great deterrent, if one believes what one reads, as criminals supposedly will not bother a home with a dog in it, but those of us without pets have to find other means of defending ourselves and protecting what's ours. I certainly hope I never have to use a gun to that extent, but I also have no qualms about doing so, should the need arise.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2010, 08:56 PM

.303 Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine

Wandering zero ftw
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2010, 09:00 PM

I wouldn't call that Taurus a "replica," as Beretta built the factory, set up the machines, and trained all the workers. A Taurus 92 is basically a Beretta that was made in South America. And yes, it's sizeable. Both the Beretta and the Taurus versions are a pleasure to shoot, though.

finboy
Sep 14, 2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
.303 Lee-Enfield Jungle Carbine

Wandering zero ftw
My hunting rifle is a converted (not by me) jungle carbine, and I have a III (my Dad's) and a IV (cheap surplus) as well. 303 really does a great job. Plus, I can reload for it with a Lee Loader. I have several friends who load for it too, they're just so cheap to shoot. And a lot of knockdown with the right bullet.

Eventually I'd like to have the IV converted to fire 7.62x39 (the AK round). I've got tons of that stuff, but I'd really like to have a bolt action that fired it. Missed my chance on a Ruger back in 1993 or 1994, haven't seen another one since. Some guy in CO converts SMLE actions to fire that round, as well as 9MM I think. It's a popular conversion down-under too, from what I've read.
( Last edited by finboy; Sep 14, 2010 at 01:45 PM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2010, 01:40 PM

I own one of these bad boys to protect my family from Nerf invaders.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules