Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse (Page 2)
davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
As much as I hate the zombie stuff, i'll join in anyway.

What about freezing temps? Do zombies freeze easily? If so, then imma become an Eskimo.
Nazi Zombies don't seem to mind the cold... Dead Snow (2009) - IMDb
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 30, 2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Guess we're all heading to Laminar's.
All the Nintendo 64 you can handle.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 30, 2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
I don't have any catholic relatives. I am not related to cody dawg in any way, shape or form. My name is Baruch Stone, as I have written on these forums before. Look me up.
Baruch? What are you, Jewish?

Also, I'm going to need to see a picture of you with "I heart Laminar" written on your forehead before I'll believe that you're not related to Cody Dawg.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well, if by a couple years, you mean May:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...ose-live-post/
This thread can elaborate on zombie-specific techniques.
No, i said what I meant. A couple years.

In retrospect I may just take the easy route and carjack some dude, take his stuff and hold up at his secure compound in the south.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Baruch? What are you, Jewish?

Also, I'm going to need to see a picture of you with "I heart Laminar" written on your forehead before I'll believe that you're not related to Cody Dawg.
Yes, I am a Heeb.

I would be happy to give you such a photo. I am not now nor have I ever been related to cody dawg. I couldn't disagree with her more. Just go back to the Terry Shaivo thread and you'll see where I fundamentally disagreed with her at every level.
( Last edited by bstone; Dec 1, 2010 at 01:28 AM. )
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Lets hope that Bay fellow doesn't read MacNN Lounge threads.

I think that we can all agree that shotguns are the favoured weapon though. Rifles and pistols just don't seem up to the job, and you risk using up transportation fuel with a flamethrower. Contact weapons are out, need some distance from blood splatter.
Screw that. Shotgun shells are heavy and most shotguns can only have 5 in the magazine at once. Max Brooks' one weakness is his knowledge of firearms. If a .22 rifle is strong enough to kill the zombies, use those. If not, get an AR-15.

I've never seen the technique talked about, but I'd build zombie killing traps. A set of stairs with some sort of bait near the top that they can't reach. They'd push each other off the top and fall far enough to smash their brains and bodies. Have narrow walkways with tiny slit windows that people can stick poles through to push them off the edge. Mount crudely sharpened metal arms to the sides of a truck about 5'8" off the ground. Maybe another further back to catch the shorties it misses. It'll either decapitate or crush most zedheads. Barring anything like that to use, just hang down off the roof (out of reach) and bash straight down with a heavy pole. They'll come to you, you could clear an area with a few 8 hour shifts of this. Tie a cable around a big concrete chunk. Drop it on their heads and pull it back up to be reused over and over and over.

Just remember to burn the bodies.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
What about freezing temps? Do zombies freeze easily? If so, then imma become an Eskimo.
This is something I've always wondered. Even around here we can get entire months below freezing, I'd imagine they'd freeze solid after a while, unless whatever keep them animated also acted as a antifreeze coolant of sorts.

All the Nintendo 64 you can handle.
Well it's going to be Bond tourneys until the end of time. I call Siberian Special Forces, Oddjob is banned for obvious reasons.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 12:03 AM

Then I call Helicopter Pilot.

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2010, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
No, i said what I meant. A couple years.

In retrospect I may just take the easy route and carjack some dude, take his stuff and hold up at his secure compound in the south.
ha, so you did.

Why has no one suggested invading Bill Gates house yet? It's probably more fortified than the White House once you convince Bill and Melinda or their houseOS to let you in. Steve Jobs' new house is unsuitable as it's mostly glass.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer View Post
Screw that. Shotgun shells are heavy and most shotguns can only have 5 in the magazine at once. Max Brooks' one weakness is his knowledge of firearms. If a .22 rifle is strong enough to kill the zombies, use those. If not, get an AR-15.
From my limited experience of shooting zombies, a .22 or a 5.56mm (.223) just doesn't stop the horde.

The 12 gauge isn't that much bigger than the 5.56mm NATO round.

And I guess that you haven't heard of a shotgun called the AA-12.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 05:33 AM

From my limited experience of shooting zombies, a .22 or a 5.56mm (.223) just doesn't stop the horde.

The 12 gauge isn't that much bigger than the 5.56mm NATO round.

And I guess that you haven't heard of a shotgun called the AA-12.
5.56 will obliterate the horde. Anything moving over 2000 fps causes major damage. Most 5.56 rounds approach 3000+ fps, depending on barrel length and load.

The difference in size between 5.56 and 12 gauge might not look like much, but it is huge. Get a couple of bandoleers of shot shells and try to carry them around. It's a major pain in the ass. They are much heavier, especially if you're using slugs or buckshot. I once wore 2 for a Pancho Villa style photo, they were very restrictive. I've put eight 30 round 5.56 magazines in the pockets of my cargo pants and felt more at ease. That's 240 rounds compared to about 60 shotgun shells. The same happens in a backpack, you'll end up being able to carry a whole lot more in a smaller volume with more comfort.

As for the AA-12, I wouldn't use any gun known to have major issues with malfunctions to fight zombies. The plastic of the shot shells will deform if it's left in the magazines for any length of time and you'll have feed issues. I wouldn't want to be loading and unloading magazines all the time.

You could make a better argument for 7.62mm (.308), but again, I think 5.56 is better for zombies. You shouldn't ever need the longer range fighting zombies and .308 is heavier/bulkier. .308 and 12 gauge both have a much greater recoil, you're not going to want to sustain large rates of fire with them. If you do, your accuracy will be worse and your shoulder will probably be done after the first wave of the undead.

Lastly, NATO armories and most police stations have large amounts of 5.56 stockpiled. If you're lucky enough to find some military people to survive with, it's nice to have a gun in the same caliber. If everyone else is dead, you can still use their ammo.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 06:28 AM

The .223 (5.56mm) round is banned in many states for hunting deer. Considered 'inhumane'. I'll take a 12 gauge round with #4 buckshot. Thats 21 pellets of 6mm each thankyouverymuch. I doubt that you'd have trouble finding 12 gauge ammo.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 06:34 AM

Surely it's about the kill ratio. I recon I'd plough through a dozen rounds of ammo trying to hit one zombie using any king of bullet firing gun. With a shotgun I'd surely be closer to 1:1, which has to be worth the weight.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 06:57 AM

The .223 (5.56mm) round is banned in many states for hunting deer. Considered 'inhumane'. I'll take a 12 gauge round with #4 buckshot. Thats 21 pellets of 6mm each thankyouverymuch. I doubt that you'd have trouble finding 12 gauge ammo.
Have you ever even fired a gun? Different states ban .223 or all rifles for different reasons. If you're shooting zombies in the head within 200 yards, .223 is overkill.

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Surely it's about the kill ratio. I recon I'd plough through a dozen rounds of ammo trying to hit one zombie using any king of bullet firing gun. With a shotgun I'd surely be closer to 1:1, which has to be worth the weight.
Rifles are more accurate than shotguns. Unless you have slugs and you need to stop a car, you're almost always better off with a rifle. The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth That's a good site for unlearning all the idiocy you see in video games and movies. The spread of most shotguns is about 1 inch per yard. At close distances, most of the shot will be packed together and you still have to aim like a rifle. At longer distances, you'll have enough spread that you'll have to hope one of the pieces of shot actually hits your target, let alone at your point of aim. If you're using slugs, they're less accurate than rifles. Hitting a head sized target with a rifle within 100 yards takes very little skill, even with iron sights. With a rifle, you have a large number of follow up shots. It takes less time to make them because of the lower recoil. Any serious zombie hunter will be using an ar-15 or SKS. Crazy and serious zombie hunters will be using a mosin nagant as both a rifle and melee weapon.

Find a friend with an AR or SKS and a shotgun and go to the range. You'll be voting for the AR or SKS in no time. Barring that, next time you're in walmart, go to the sporting goods section. Pick up a bulk pack of 100 shells of birdshot. Notice how much room it takes up and how heavy it is. Next ask to see a bulk pack of .223 or 7.62 x 39. Notice how small and light it is.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2010, 08:17 AM

Yes I have fired a gun. A few in fact but not a 5.56mm.

200 yards? Zombie engagement is more like 20. EVERYBODY knows that.

Now if you're talking 7.62x39 like in the AK or SKS then yes, I would qualify that as an acceptable zombie defeating round.

My humble (but often wrong) opinion is that you want to hit said zombie with a projectile that will a) remove a large part of his/her/its body or b) at least slow them down so you can reload/run away/etc. I just don't see 4g of metal as doing that.

I have a lackie to carry my ammo.

finboy
Dec 1, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You know, I've never actually seen a zombie pilot a boat. Therefore, a private island should suffice.
Or an oil platform. I imagine those will be quite busy.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 01:57 PM

Zombies can walk along the ocean floor. Eventually they will come up on the shores of your island.

finboy
Dec 1, 2010, 02:00 PM

Yes I have fired a gun. A few in fact but not a 5.56mm.

200 yards? Zombie engagement is more like 20. EVERYBODY knows that.

Now if you're talking 7.62x39 like in the AK or SKS then yes, I would qualify that as an acceptable zombie defeating round.
Cherry PIE. Shoot them in the head with a tracer is best idea. Fun at night, evidently.

The SIR was a single shot (bolt action?) rifle. Slow, methodical head shots from cover.

As for melee - the WWZ Lobo idea was great for cleanup, and I imagine if it's long enough it would work for up close near-silent kills too. Watch that splatter though, yikes.

AK round isn't good for much else, but a lot of the Chinese ammo actually has a steel core, so it would make for great close in head shots. Anything that is accurate and can penetrate skull is useful.

Shotgun looks cool, sounds cool, but unless they are right on top of you it's not a good choice. Messy, too, and that can come back to bite you later. Same with chainsaw.

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 02:07 PM

You need rifles to take them out at long distance. Shotguns are useless unless in close quarters. Accuracy is important. Don't want them getting to close.

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2010, 03:10 PM

Well this is all assuming that you've got the guns stockpiled or are first to loot the local Wal-mart. What household items would be useful in an attack? Baseball bat? Leaf blower conversion?

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 1, 2010, 03:36 PM

I have a cricket bat in the trunk of my car at all times. Just in case.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 03:40 PM

Cricket bat with nails hammered through it would be a good close quarter weapon. It would have enough weight to drive the nails through the skull to destroy the brain.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Zombies can walk along the ocean floor. Eventually they will come up on the shores of your island.
That depends on the topography of the ocean around the island. There's a good chance that if the island is remote enough that there are deep trenches with no up slopes surrounding it . On continents there is almost always a path up because of the size of the land mass and multiple ways on the ocean bottom leading up to it. Inevitably these mindless drones would stumble upon one and make their way up. With an island that isn't always the case. They'd need to be smart enough or lucky to find the right way up to the island if there is a way up at all.

Then there is the eyes. I assume eyes decompose faster than other flesh since eye balls have such high water content and thin membraned. If the pressure of the water at oceans depths didn't pop them like bubble then they'd surely fall apart after a few weeks. Blind zombies seem like they'd be much less competent predators than their less handicapped brethren

Also taking pot shots at zombies would be pointless unless you are trying to flee or one has already made its way into your supposed safe zone. There would be no end to the numbers of them coming towards you in if you are in populated area. You'd end up only drawing more attention to your location by firing off guns.

Lastly, no one ever addresses if whatever made them reanimate in the first place can be introduced into the food chain.
What if insects, fish, birds, etc.., that feed on their flesh or remains makes them carriers of whatever pathogen or compound that infected the people? What if it can be passed up into the food chain and ultimately contaminates a large part of the edible animals the remaining survivors want to eat?
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Dec 1, 2010 at 05:13 PM. )

andi*pandi
Dec 1, 2010, 05:30 PM

Well if that happens I guess the vegans win.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Well if that happens I guess the vegans win.
I'll take Sek's bullet-in-the-mouth way out before that happens.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 06:56 PM

I'll take Sek's bullet-in-the-mouth way out before that happens.
Cannabalism. Eat the vegans. If they aren't zombies, you know their meat is uncontaminated, even if it does have a bunch of vitamin deficiencies.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 07:00 PM

But then you get the shakes and Denzel Washington will have to kill you.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2010, 08:30 PM

I believe this is relevant. Top Gear: Apocalypse. Check the video description for each next part.
YouTube - Top Gear - Apocalypse 2010 (part1)

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 11:40 PM

I believe this is relevant. Top Gear: Apocalypse.
Relevant how?
No one would have a need for fast land vehicles much less Mad Max type cars. Plus for roads to stay mostly clear or hazard less most people would have to die slowly and at home. Some sort of Marshall Law would have to be instituted and people would have to willingly comply. That's not gonna happen in this scenario. In fact I don't even think it happen in a nuclear war.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2010, 12:27 AM

Relevant how?
No one would have a need for fast land vehicles much less Mad Max type cars. Plus for roads to stay mostly clear or hazard less most people would have to die slowly and at home. Some sort of Marshall Law would have to be instituted and people would have to willingly comply. That's not gonna happen in this scenario. In fact I don't even think it happen in a nuclear war.
I'm guessing you didn't watch it. It's relevant to Zombieland Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things.
If you're going to survive, make surviving worthwhile. How is a Top Gear with a silly post apocalyptic theme not relevant to zombie survival?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 12:51 AM

I believe this is relevant. Top Gear: Apocalypse. Check the video description for each next part.
YouTube - Top Gear - Apocalypse 2010 (part1)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 02:11 AM

How is a Top Gear with a silly post apocalyptic theme not relevant to zombie survival?
Because as Andi pointed out in this thread, there was already a more apt thread for your top gear link that was still on topic.

Its akin to some numbnut starting a thread about sending stuff to soldiers over seas and some other dufus chiming in about the care package they sent their kid who was studying aboard as a related tangent.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 03:07 AM

Its akin to some numbnut starting a thread about sending stuff to soldiers over seas and some other dufus chiming in about the care package they sent their kid who was studying aboard as a related tangent.
Is this beside the fact that they keep mentioning zombies all the way through it?

It's just a stupid zombie thread. Who gives a toss? Well, except you, that is.

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 03:14 AM

I thought the horse in Walking Dead was a pretty good idea. Nice and high up, good view, self fuelling (to a degree) and enough speed to to outrun the shuffling horde when needed. I don't think I'd use any type of engined vehicle post apocalypse. MInd you most horses are going to get eaten by survivors so it might be tough to find one.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2010, 03:35 AM

Because as Andi pointed out in this thread, there was already a more apt thread for your top gear link that was still on topic.

Considering your moniker, you should be able to grasp this. In a zombie survival situation, not all people will want to or be able to survive. It's something you'll face. Some people will quietly commit suicide. Some people will huddle in fear until something comes along and kills them. Some people will go all out crazy. Some will become hedonistic. The entire spectrum of human coping mechanisms will come into play. Aside from being the usual good stuff Top Gear puts out, it shows what a couple of awesome car guys would do in a survival situation. It also gives you some great ideas for some games to play while you're stuck in traffic trying to escape the city. Relax, it's not the end of the world.

If you'd like me to stay more strictly on topic in a fantasy thread, I'll give some advice. Kill the *********s that do nothing but stand around and complain about everything, they'll bring the whole group down. That's another reason to have a rifle, for use against the unfriendly humans you'll undoubtedly encounter.

If anyone hasn't read it, the entire novel of World War Z has been acted out in audio books on youtube.

Rumor
Dec 2, 2010, 03:51 AM

Then I call Helicopter Pilot.
Stevie Ray Vaughn died from a helicopter crash.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I thought the horse in Walking Dead was a pretty good idea. Nice and high up, good view, self fuelling (to a degree) and enough speed to to outrun the shuffling horde when needed. I don't think I'd use any type of engined vehicle post apocalypse. MInd you most horses are going to get eaten by survivors so it might be tough to find one.
Is there a limit as to what type of animal can become a zombie? Only warm blooded? Might we have to think about how to handle, rats and mice as well? Can insects become zombies?

The more I think of it the freezing cold areas seem like the best retreat, but then what is there to eat? Need a greenhouse near your igloo with some firearms hidden in various plant pots.

This is more complicated than I thought.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2010, 08:39 AM

If you'd like me to stay more strictly on topic in a fantasy thread, I'll give some advice. Kill the *********s that do nothing but stand around and complain about everything, they'll bring the whole group down. That's another reason to have a rifle, for use against the unfriendly humans you'll undoubtedly encounter.
I couldn't just top the wife and kids as easily as you.

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2010, 03:34 PM

To stop a zombie I would plant plants as a line of defense. Those dead bastard won't stand a chance when they are hit be a seed from my plants!!! LOL

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 04:31 PM

I'll take a ray gun and a wunderwaffen please. And I'm going to be sure to hold up where there's plenty of jugger-nog and perk-a-punches.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I'll take a ray gun and a wunderwaffen please. And I'm going to be sure to hold up where there's plenty of jugger-nog and perk-a-punches.
It's pack-a-punch or perk-a-colas

Geez!

Actually, best weapon from the old Nazi Zombies is the Thompson .45

In the Zombie SG they say a .22 is enough to pierce the skull. With minimal kick and light ammo a .22 rifle would be my pick for a weapon.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 04:42 PM

Is there a limit as to what type of animal can become a zombie? Only warm blooded? Might we have to think about how to handle, rats and mice as well? Can insects become zombies?

The more I think of it the freezing cold areas seem like the best retreat, but then what is there to eat? Need a greenhouse near your igloo with some firearms hidden in various plant pots.

This is more complicated than I thought.
Well, in the classic Zombie flicks and lore only human beings are affected. The only zombie animals I can think of are from the Resident Evil series, but that's due to the T-Virus and not a classical zombification backstory. I think RE:2 had a huge zombie alligator you fought in the sewers.

Not sure about the 28 days later infection, don't recall any infected animals, or at least animals that were affected by the virus, maybe they would act as carriers though. In the remake of Dawn of the Dead they use a dog to traverse the horde and deliver supplies to a stranded man and the undead didn't try to eat it. In The Walking Dead the walkers seem to have a taste for any warm flesh, hence the horse massacre.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 04:45 PM

/end thread.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 04:45 PM

Reavers are raving lunatics yet they manage to hold together a rather impressive fleet of ships, this always bugged me.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 04:50 PM

Perhaps they're not actually lunatics but just completely depraved. Like Welshmen.
( Last edited by Doofy; Dec 2, 2010 at 05:13 PM. )

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's pack-a-punch or perk-a-colas

Geez!

Actually, best weapon from the old Nazi Zombies is the Thompson .45

In the Zombie SG they say a .22 is enough to pierce the skull. With minimal kick and light ammo a .22 rifle would be my pick for a weapon.
Lol i typed it in a hurry - didn't catch my own mistake. I'd prefer a heavier round - if there are hundreds of them coming at me I want a bullet that can go through one zombie into the next. A .22 won't do it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 05:01 PM

Indeed, I also think that despite its incredible velocity a 5.56 (or .223) you'd have to be really accurate with in order to get a killshot, otherwise I could see the round going clean through a squishy corpse without causing much damage.

Really I love the main characters revolver from the walking dead. I don't know guns very well but it looks like a big Dirty Harry .44, now that round would cause some damage and hinder the zombie even if it wasn't a headshot.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well, in the classic Zombie flicks and lore only human beings are affected. The only zombie animals I can think of are from the Resident Evil series, but that's due to the T-Virus and not a classical zombification backstory. I think RE:2 had a huge zombie alligator you fought in the sewers.
What were the characters from I Am Legend?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2010, 05:33 PM

Will Smith isn't a zombie, he just can't act.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2010, 05:34 PM

Oh hell no! You didn't just diss Big Will, did you?

Forum Links
Forum Rules