Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Donating iMac cleaning question

Donating iMac cleaning question
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 11:09 PM

I never use my original iMac anymore except for data storage. I just bought a 300GB external drive and don't need the iMac anymore. The local mac store pointed me to Habitat for Humanity here in town, as they accept and even like to get older computers like mine.

I'm just wondering about a few details. I've still got the 8.6 cd's, and will probably put a clean install of that on it before I take it over to them. I have a copy of 10.2 laying around somewhere too, from before I got panther. Which do you all think I should put on it and what apps should I install for whoever gets it?

Also, what's the best way to clean the inside of the iMac itself from dust, as well as the keyboard and mouse from body oils and gunk?

Thanks for the help

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 02:21 AM

Well.. I would first low-level/zero-data format the hard drive a couple of times.
I don't suggest to open up the CRT iMac except the motherboard part.

For the keyboard and mouse, I think there are instructions online.

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 11:44 AM

Throw the keyboard in the dishwasher without soap. There is info about this in another thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=247269

kick52
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 04:47 PM

apparently, mac os x dunt work very well without 512mb of ram. though i would try it just to see. do you think you can tell me how it goes? im looking to get mac os x for my original iMac G3..

Forum Links
Forum Rules