Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor For Mac Pro

Monitor For Mac Pro
soon2bmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 08:26 PM

Okay, I have had a 20" Cinema for about a year and a half and I am going to sell it off to upgrade to something a little larger. I cant deicide between the 23" Cinema or 24" Dell. I am about to get rid of my G4 Powerbook and upgrade to a new Mac Pro. I do a lot of photography work so colors really matter. I just dont know if its worth the $300 bucks more for the Cinema. Anybody have either of these and make a suggestion?

Thanks

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2007, 08:38 PM

all i can say is that dell makes some kick ass displays.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 09:30 PM

I have a Dell 2407WFP and I love it!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 09:43 PM

I've actually been looking into the 24" monitor range lately, and my personal favorite was the samsung 244t. It got some terrific reviews and is capable of displaying at 1080p through it's dvi connection if that matters to you. Just another to consider and compare with the dell's. good luck!
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2007, 06:45 AM

I would read this:

Best 24" - Page 2 - [H]ard|Forum

I guess it is pretty useful info but most of the tech stuff escapes me, like S-IPS versus S-PVA panels…

serphium
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 02:03 PM

If you are thinking of a 24", this article runs down the 3 main contenders very well:

24" Monitor Showdown

Also if I remember correctly, the Apple display uses the same panel as the Dell. So for the most part they're pretty similar.

mr. burns
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 06:14 PM

I got a 22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron NF. CRT for life :[

not all who wander are lost.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 05:03 AM

Latest NEC Mitsubishi CRTs are state of the art, wish I could find one in mint condition…

BlueJungle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2007, 01:06 PM

I'm right with you soon2bmac! I've been debating on purchasing the Mac Pro with the 23" monitor. Is the monitor really worth one grand? I'm thinking of purchasing a non-mac monitor for less. But either way, in addition to the monitor, I will be purchasing color calibration software.

soon2bmac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2007, 12:41 AM

I decided and went with the Dell 24". It is just as nice as the Apple 23 if not better. I am happy with the purchase and before the price reduction I could have bought half of another one for the price of the 23 Cinema. I love the fact that the Dell has the card reader built into the side of it. I shoot photography and its so nice to just slide my card in right there and start downloading pictures, plus it has 4 usb ports vs the 2 on the Apple. My iSight still sticks to the top and reaches my laptop sitting 2 feet away. I recommend the dell, Im happy with the purchase.

Parvez
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2007, 12:43 AM

Screw Apple's monitor. Go for the DELL. I have a 20" widescreen too. It's great. It's less $$ than Apple's Monitor.

cubbie5150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2007, 03:17 PM

I've got a Dell 2407WFP myself, and I love it. It's great for what I do: internet, movies, etc. It needs to be calibrated if you need ultra color accuracy.... That being said, I got the Dell b/c it was on sale (at least it was 3 weeks ago) for $629 USD, free shipping. Otherwise, I would've gotten the BenQ FP241WZ...

Parvez
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2007, 03:45 PM

Interesting! How do you calibrate a Dell monitor? I have the E207WFP 20" one.

idyll
Senior User
Apr 8, 2007, 06:34 PM

i've had several dell and apple lcds, and the newest ones are very similar as far as how things look on screen.. only difference is in appearance. the apple lcds also offer great simplicity; when i turned my computer on the display turned on without pressing any buttons.. so if money was no question, i would go for an apple display no doubt. otherwise you will get pretty much the same results with a dell

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Latest NEC Mitsubishi CRTs are state of the art, wish I could find one in mint condition…
quoting myself… funny enough I found a NEW in box NEC 770 CRT, it is only a 17 inches screen but @ 55€ is a steal for the money, quality-wise is the best CRT I have ever had.

BlueJungle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 04:54 PM

For the 24" Dell monitor, does one need to get an adapter of any kind. Or can it be plugged into the cpu? Also, if the Mac I'm getting will have BlueTooth, would the monitor need a cable?

hotdogsoup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 05:38 PM

I just got the LG 22" product number L226wt

Newegg.com - LG L226WTX-BF Black 22" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 3000:1 - Retail
It has alot of good reviews on newegg and I have been happy with mine.
Mac Pro
Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors
2 GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
LG 22" Wide Screen Monitor: Model# L226WT

Forum Links
Forum Rules