Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Live music anyone?

Live music anyone?
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 02:18 AM

Anyone attending any concerts or festivals in the future? My schedule is packed:

http://www.last.fm/user/ErikVeland/events

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2008, 02:24 AM

good times, seen chromeo a few times, they're so dope.

that's a lot of music in a short time dude, enjoy!
ice

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 02:44 AM

Yeah. That ought to keep me sated for most of the year. January is going to be insane.

Looking most forward to The Prodigy, Girl Talk, Neil Young and Mark Ronson. Raggamuffin is also going to be wicked mon. Especially since the location is pretty much Jamaica in Australia.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2008, 03:03 AM

Oh yea, didn't see Ronson there. Lots of great stuff, santogold, girl talk is crazy too.

Speaking of Mark Ronson, here he is at a warehouse party I attended during WMC.. I wish I knew it was him at the time. I would have told him he's cool in case he wasn't sure. I had a 50% type of feeling it was him, but didn't see him talking to anyone there that was playing so I wasn't sure.

Blue Velvet suit, no shirt, no socks. On the left.

ice

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 04:27 AM

Just got back from The Sword, Down, and METALLICA!

FREAKIN' AWESOME SHOW!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cipher13
Nov 21, 2008, 04:31 AM

Used to see a few gigs a week, at least. Not so much anymore, just out of laziness really - that, and a few of the regular acts broke up. It's hard to find good music.

As for festivals, eh - not a fan really. Soundwaves has some decent acts but in the end it's a festival, which can really spoil a show. Hopefully the few semi-decent acts there put on reasonably priced sideshows.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 09:42 AM

I'd go see Dragonforce live, but I'd get my ass kicked by all the metal heads there.

I've not been to a non-classical concert since my last boyfriend (he liked seeing shows, so we went several times).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2008, 09:49 AM

I"m spending the weekend in the "live music capitol of the world," Austin, Texas. But I'm at a conference the whole time so I won't be getting much live music listening in...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:22 PM

I'm off to see slipknot in December.

I really don't want to go, but my baby brother loves me for taking him.
we don't have time to stop for gas

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:44 PM

Saw The Mountain Goats at Webster Hall in NYC two weekends ago. Going to see Nada Surf there in early December and DeVotchKa there in late January. Might see Ingrid Michaelson next Tuesday in DC. Thieviery Corporation has a 3-night stand in DC in January, might go there to check out them but the venue (9:30 Club) is crazy loud (like harmful to your hearing loud).
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 21, 2008, 03:32 PM

I've seen Jon McLaughlin and Matt Nathanson in the past month, and I'm planning to see Mae on December 6th.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 03:38 PM

Went to 4 festivals this summer, worked 3 of them but didnt really so much work, was really relaxed and didnt miss anything i wanted to see, had everything paid for, food, travel, entrance, and even got a few nights in a hotel out of one of them, i went to; Glastonbury, Leeds Festival, V Festival and T in the Park (all in the UK) was awesome, still got my wristbands on from all 4 plus last years and the years before from Leeds Festival, this year was my 5th Leeds Festival (only 20 )
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Thieviery Corporation has a 3-night stand in DC in January, might go there to check out them but the venue (9:30 Club) is crazy loud (like harmful to your hearing loud).
Thievery Corp will stay on my list of all-time faves.

Seen them live twice, once was them and all the artists on their album playing live. Not a DJ set, but musicians making everything live just as it sounded on their album. I was in awe.

Do it.
ice

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Thievery Corp will stay on my list of all-time faves.

Seen them live twice, once was them and all the artists on their album playing live. Not a DJ set, but musicians making everything live just as it sounded on their album. I was in awe.

Do it.
Yeah, the last time I saw them--I've seen them twice now--was at 9:30 Club and it was the full set of musicians. The show started with just the two of them on stage playing the bass and keyboard as the rest of the musicians wandered out to join the set; They the two of them moved up back behind their turntables for most of the rest of the show. It was cool with the different singers rotating on and off the stage during the show--The French/Brasilian singer was crazy hot. But the show left my ears ringing for two days afterward.

Thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I'll go and get myself some discreet ear plugs.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Nov 22, 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: fixed some typos.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 08:24 PM

If you are serious about live music, ear plugs are one of the first investments you should do. You can get a nice, pro set for less than $20. Inexpensive way to save your hearing. The sound is often most improved with them in as they cancel out the noise, leaving just music.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 24, 2008, 07:15 PM

yer i love wearing earplugs at live music, makes it sound so much better
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
yer i love wearing earplugs at live music, makes it sound so much better
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
If you are serious about live music, ear plugs are one of the first investments you should do. You can get a nice, pro set for less than $20. Inexpensive way to save your hearing. The sound is often most improved with them in as they cancel out the noise, leaving just music.
When I first saw Van Halen, I spent the whole concert with my fingers in my ears. It sounded great. Since then, I've been partial to either "bullet" shaped foam ear plugs (if I remember them) or damp, rolled up paper towel.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2008, 07:28 PM

Foam plugs are good if you don't have anything else. I'd recommend a couple of these for maximum comfort / listening experience:

Just $4 from Amazon and it could be the best investment in your hearing ever!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 12:36 AM

We are in different worlds... I have a hard time relating to music sounding optimal with ear plugs on without missing out on a whole lot of subtlety and nuance.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 25, 2008, 12:39 AM

Live rock shows are rarely about subtlety and nuance.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
As for festivals, eh - not a fan really. Soundwaves has some decent acts but in the end it's a festival, which can really spoil a show. Hopefully the few semi-decent acts there put on reasonably priced sideshows.
Soundwave

Blech.

(Yes, I know it has NIN)
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Nov 25, 2008 at 07:45 PM. )

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
We are in different worlds... I have a hard time relating to music sounding optimal with ear plugs on without missing out on a whole lot of subtlety and nuance.
You have never been to a non-classical concert have you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 12:57 AM

You have never been to a non-classical concert have you?
Sure, but most of them in outdoor festival settings... The loudest (indoor) concert I was ever at was MSMW. The most populated was Simon and Garfunkle, although obviously it wasn't that loud.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 01:27 AM

Heh. I remember going to see The Sisters Of Mercy at Crystal Palace, supporting Depeche Mode (this gig). The support support band was a group called "Marxman" (yes, they were commies). Front and centre, Marxman were so loud and bassy the mrs threw up and had to go to the first aid tent. Awesome.
( Last edited by Doofy; Nov 25, 2008 at 01:43 AM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 01:48 AM

I didn't know you were married, Doofy... Or, do you not mean the "Mrs." this literally?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2008, 01:54 AM

Took the words out of my keyboard.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2008, 01:56 AM

I didn't know you were married, Doofy... Or, do you not mean the "Mrs." this literally?
mrs = UK slang for "the chick you've been seeing for longer than a week".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cipher13
Nov 25, 2008, 02:07 AM

Soundwave:Blech.
Pretty much. Nothing I'd get out of bed to see (and most I'd get out of bed to avoid).

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Took the words out of my keyboard.
The nuance and subtleties 5 metres from a giant speaker with people screaming in your ears?

Trust me: A loud concert where you are actually in the audience is much better enjoyed with a good set of plugs.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2008, 05:29 AM

I'm seeing The Prodigy in December. I can't wait. The new stuff sounds great!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 07:37 AM

I never leave home without my custom-fit 15dB plugs.

Best investment ever.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2008, 09:03 AM

Soundwave:

Blech.

(Yes, I know it has NIN)
Holy crap, erik! <sarcasm thought of but not posted> That picture is WAY too big. And the link's URL says "tinypic"; that's pretty ironic. PLEASE resize the picture so that it doesn't take so much bandwidth. Remember, pictures must download BEFORE they're resized, so big pictures can still take forever to load.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 07:45 PM

Sorry, couldn't find a smaller picture and I was too lazy to resize Linked it instead.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2008, 09:59 PM

First festival, Global Gathering is over. Quick Review:

I had so low expectations for Gorillaz Sound System that I was actually pleasantly surprised. Sure it was a shameless cash-in on the Gorillaz name, but they played crowdpleasing music that wasn't all bad. By the time I left half way through they hadn't dropped any 50 cents yet.

Mark Ronson was ****ing awesome! What an incredible performance! Loved everything - including California (forgivable as Phantom Planet was guest appearing), the chick who replaced Amy and Lily was pretty good too. Great that he played some of his old hip hop stuff as well. The cover of Apache gave me goosebumps!

Kraftwerk was just legendary! I grew up thinking that I would never see them live (as they pretty much stopped touring at the time I was born) - especially not in 2008! It was everything I didn't know I wanted from a live set. The visuals were amazing, the sound was awesome, the robots were mindblowing and the matrix suits even more so!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2008, 10:06 PM

Whoa, Doof was banned?!?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2008, 03:54 AM

What's a good website where you can enter a bunch of artists, your zip code, and then it notifies you via email or RSS when an artist is coming to town?

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
What's a good website where you can enter a bunch of artists, your zip code, and then it notifies you via email or RSS when an artist is coming to town?
http://www.eventful.com

They also have an iPhone app.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 03:49 PM

I was in the City on Sunday to see Nada Surf at Webster Hall and picked up a pair of these bad boys at J&R Music World. They made such a big difference in my enjoyment level for the show and I didn't leave feeling fatigued from listening to music that was too loud. They were SO worth the money ($10 per set) I bought two so I can always keep a pair with me in my work bag.

Thanks for the tip, erik.

Etymotic Research ER20BP High Fidelity Ear Plugs ( Clear ) in Corded Headphones at JR.com
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Dec 10, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fixed a typo.)

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 06:25 PM

I wish I could use the Etys but I can't get a good seal with them. So foam earplugs for me.

I just saw Nada Surf in DC last week, actually.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I wish I could use the Etys but I can't get a good seal with them. So foam earplugs for me.

I just saw Nada Surf in DC last week, actually.
9:30 Club? You definitely need earplugs for that place.

They put on a kick-ass show at Webster Hall. It was the second-to-last night of their tour and they were in a fun mood being "home". They really rocked out on Hi-Speed Soul, Concrete Bed, Blankest Year, and Beautiful Beat. The lead singer asked everyone to sway side-to-side in unison when they played Inside of Love. It was kinda hokey but neat to watch the crowd move together in time with the song.

It was somewhat bittersweet for me as I went with a friend who is a former girlfriend. We really connected over some of their music but watching her sing along to The Way You Wear Your Head was tough.

- - e r i k - -  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2009, 09:56 PM

Summary of Good Vibes:

Missed out on most of Fatboy Slim due to having to save my iPhone. But I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over that. It would have been good on a dry night though from the short part I heard.

Highlights:
Mike Relm (a non-wanky turntablist who knows how to work a crowd ...amazing).
Yelle (Glad I went otherwise I might had have to go out now and see them at Ruby Tramp).
Pharcyde
Flash flooding in my temporary shelter during Baby Gee. Dancing in not so muddy water up to my ankles was pretty cool.
Friendly peoples.
Q-Tip performing ATCQ songs.

Lowlights:
VOLUME? Especially during Roni Size and Presets. Sounded like they were just intermission music
Laundry turning into a mudspa with the tiniest bit of humidity.
Rain almost killing my phone

Also saw Josh Pyke on Friday. And next up is Future Music Festival in two weeks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules