Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > This is why the App Store is best:

This is why the App Store is best:
msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2010, 10:44 PM

'Most sophisticated mobile virus' starts spreading on Android smartphones

Anybody can download anything from anywhere.

I prefer Apple's ecosystem. Considered as an insurance policy, the price is right for the protection received.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 01:58 AM

It was only a matter of time until you needed anti-virus programs on your cell phone.
Thanks, Android, for being so open.

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2010, 05:42 PM

Anyone can choose not to download anything from anywhere. Just like on a Mac.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 05:52 PM

Yeah, that's real helpful for people that buy smartphone so that they can enjoy apps.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2010, 06:24 PM

It is, in fact, considering that if you don't want to deal with taking the proper precautions when downloading things, you can always just use the Marketplace, just like on an iPhone.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
It is, in fact, considering that if you don't want to deal with taking the proper precautions when downloading things, you can always just use the Marketplace, just like on an iPhone.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the differences between the Apple marketplace and the Android marketplace that none of the apps are screened at all on the Android side?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 11:30 AM

Actually, I believe they ARE screened.

Just owning an Android device doesn't mean you can actually access the Marketplace, though.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Actually, I believe they ARE screened.

Just owning an Android device doesn't mean you can actually access the Marketplace, though.
If they are screening it (and they should), then they *may* need to improve their process. (See this link, and my last comment at the end.)

SMobile Systems Analysis of Android App Store Reveals Massive Potential for Malware and... -- COLUMBUS, Ohio, June 22 /PRNewswire/ --

(Summary here)

* 20 percent of applications in the Android market grant a third party application access to private or sensitive information that an attacker could use for malicious purposes, such as Identity Theft, mobile banking fraud and corporate espionage; 5 percent of applications have the ability to place a call to any number, without requiring user intervention;
* Dozens of applications have the identical type of access to sensitive information as known spyware
* 2 percent of market submissions can allow an application to send unknown premium SMS messages without user intervention.

Now, granted, this is a study by a company with a widget to sell. So, it might be totally worthless. I don't know if the android has a problem here, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand without knowing more.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the differences between the Apple marketplace and the Android marketplace that none of the apps are screened at all on the Android side?
The article in the OP claims that all the apps in the Marketplace are safe from this virus.

If they are screening it (and they should), then they *may* need to improve their process. (See this link, and my last comment at the end.)

SMobile Systems Analysis of Android App Store Reveals Massive Potential for Malware and... -- COLUMBUS, Ohio, June 22 /PRNewswire/ --
That article focuses more on what abilities apps have access to, rather than to what degree they are screened to ensure that they will not misuse such abilities. I don't know the answer to the latter question one way or another, but the information in this article alone doesn't seem like it relates.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2011, 08:07 PM

(Summary here)

* 20 percent of applications in the Android market grant a third party application access to private or sensitive information that an attacker could use for malicious purposes, such as Identity Theft, mobile banking fraud and corporate espionage;
Sounds like what Apple is being sued over.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Yeah, that's real helpful for people that buy Macs so that they can enjoy apps.
Huh.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I thought of that. It *is* similar.

I do think it's foolhardy to download apps NOT through the app store/google marketplace though.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules