Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Speech....

Speech....
[email protected]
Aug 7, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hello, we all know, that the MAC OS X "Tiger" is fantasic... but is there an application that will allow me, to say what i want, and it writes it for me?

sounds lazy, but im dyslexic, and i dont know where commers or quote marks and other stuff like that are ment to go.

Could this app even allow me to write in forums, like this? and free if possable... is there something built in that i have not come accross?

Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 05:43 PM

Free? Not for years - this is one of the big challenges of computing, and even once it has been really solved it won't be free for a while.

I used iListen - or tried to. It cost me about $100 five years ago. I spent 10+ hours training it for my voice (and training my voice for it) and was able to dictate with about 70% accuracy if I spoke very carefully. If you are dyslexic, you may not be able to identify easily when it has made mistakes, so the training period would be more difficult and take longer.

Maybe it has improved since then - I don't know. My guess though, is that you would do better to use Word with all the grammar checkers turned on.

[email protected]  (op)
Aug 7, 2007, 06:04 PM

You see, i do that, now, but when i change it, and all, i send it to my friend to make sure that its all grammer correct, and he changes most of it, as its not correct.

so, word is not that great, as it wont make sence for paragraphs or complex centences...

Forum Links
Forum Rules