Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GPS device recomendations?

GPS device recomendations?
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 11:51 AM

I've needed a GPS device for a while, and now my mom is saying she wants one. So, what do you recommend?

I don't need one of those swiss-army knife units. If I want to play music and other media, I'll just use my iPod, which is pretty much stationary in my car. I just need a navigator. Just a device that gives me a clear map of where I am, what direction I'm going, and can give me clear directions of how to get from point A to B. For my mom, readability and large screen are probably going to be important, and it's something I wouldn't mind either. And then the price. Ideally, this should be something at $350 or less.

This month's Consumer Reports has a short article and recommendations for GPS devices, and lists the TomTom One, Magellan Roadmate 2000, and Garmin StreetPilot c330 as best buys. I was also looking at the TomTom One XL for its large screen.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 12:01 PM

I recommend TomTom. Their Mac software is good, AFAIK it's the only manufacturer that truly supported Macs for quite a while. I heard Garmin just put out some software for Macs, but I'm not sure how good it is.

I'm very happy with my Go 910, excpect the windshield mount, which is not ideal.

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 01:18 PM

I just use a map, but i'm Interested to see what everyone else uses.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Just get a map.
Actually, to get street-level maps for all of the US, Canada and Europe will probably cost much more than my Go 910

-t

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2007, 09:33 PM

I read that same article in Consumer Reports (actually, it's why I bought the magazine). It did say that those three units (TomTom One, Magellan Roadmate 2000, and Garmin StreetPilot c330) are Best Buys. But the highest rated was the Garmin 660. I have been scouring the internet for the past week or so learning about GPS units, and that's pretty much what I'd heard was the "best" - which is why I just went out and bought a factory refurbished one for $465. It arrives tomorrow, yay.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2007, 09:46 PM

Garmin or tomtom...

I am a big fan of garmin units, but the tom tom is really slick!

Zach

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 04:37 AM

What about for hiking/outdoorsy stuff? Any favorites? I've been thinking that it's time to start geocoding my photos on vacation...

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 04:57 AM

I have used a TomTom One for about a year, and would get an One XL if I were buying today. I recently rented a car with a Garmin StreetPilot c330 and hated the interface. I am willing to accept that the reason I hated it is that I was used to the TomTom and it did things differently, but the TomTom made sense the first time I used it without looking at a manual, and after a week I still didn't get the Garmin- but if it had come with a manual I'm sure it would have helped.

Again- no offence meant at Garmin lovers, but I think the TomTom is just more intuitive- the Garmin may be just as good tech wise, but like an iPod vs. a Zune, one just seems to make more sense.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2007, 05:36 AM

Verizon Navigator
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
What about for hiking/outdoorsy stuff? Any favorites? I've been thinking that it's time to start geocoding my photos on vacation...
this is what i borrowed from a hiker friend (who is out n about close to 3 months a year hiking). it was nice, i loved having the NOAA, and it is great if you and party each have one for communicating during hikes and kayak trips.

Cabela's -- Garmin® Rino 530 GPS Radio

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 07:06 PM

Amazon.com: Garmin StreetPilot 2720 Traffic-Ready Portable GPS Navigator: Electronics

$50 above your price range, but really great compared to the C3x0 series. You can get a refurb for $310 if price is really important.

pinenuts
Baninated
Location: i have moved to another location per peter's message
Sep 19, 2007, 07:26 PM

Garmin StreetPilot c330 is great. I have it. And they support Macs.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 03:50 PM

Garmin.... my vote.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 12:59 AM

TomTom is offering a $100 discount on their GPS navigators till January 5, 2008, apparently (PDF). With that discount, Amazon.com has the TomTom ONE XL-S for $260.

There also seem to be good discounts on other GPS navigator brands.

A good time to buy a GPS navigator?

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 03:00 AM

I bought a TomTom One and sent it back to Amazon, I really didn't like it at all. I feel they dumbed it down for simplicity. I ended up with the Garmin Nuvi and it gives me the control I like in a GPS.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 03:27 AM

I'm a big fan of Mio, especially my Mio 520c They run around $280-$300.

The brand isn't as well known as some of the others, but IMHOP, Mio more than makes up for it by making a seriously kick-ass product for the price range. The Mio Map software in my OP is better than what I've seen on a lot of other units. It's very easy to use, has tons of POI data, great voice direction that speaks street names (not just "turn right"), fast re-routing, etc.

A lot of these things have bells and whistles, because they're really just custom PDAs- the default GPS software is really just another program they can run. The Mio makes the least bones about this, and is insanely hackable. There are tons of user hacks and modifications that really extend the usefulness.

By delving just under the surface, you can customize virtually every aspect of the user interface, if you so choose. Maybe you want the map and direction fonts larger, different landmark icons, or different night/day colors- it's all changeable.

The Mio units can run the Tom-Tom software, but in my opinion the Mio software is so good there's little need to, other than just "because it can". I really like the split-screen navigation option that shows the user choice of several upcoming turns at a time, the closest points of interest, trip data, traffic information (with a TMC reciver hooked up) etc. It's also cool to run offroad software like Oziexplore as well.

One "bell" I've found I really like in the car, is bluetooth connectivity to use the unit like a hands-free call center while driving.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 09:19 AM

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: the TomTom Go 910 comes with a remote control.

When I unpacked the thing, I thought this would be the most useless remote evar. But that was far from the truth.

I LOVE THE REMOTE ! Not having to lean forward in order to enter new destinations, program it or do anything else is a HUGE advantage. So much less distraction, so much safer.

I can confidently say that I will never buy a GPS without a remote.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Nov 25, 2007 at 01:13 AM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: the TomTom Go 910 comes with a remote control.

When I unpacked the thing, I thought this would be the most useless remote evar. But that was far from the truth.

I LOVE THE REMOTE ! Not having to lean forward in order to enter new destinations, program it or do anything else is a HUGE advantage. So much less distraction, so much safer.

I can confidently say that I will never buy a GPS with a remote.

-t
So the remote is good or bad?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
So the remote is good or bad?
Ahhh, , sorry, accidentally typed with instead of without.

YES, remotes are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Even for GPS.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules