Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > macnn? Where's the Mac?

macnn? Where's the Mac?
psdenno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2008, 03:37 PM

Mac content on macnn.com has been decreasing significantly in the past year or so. Today there is no Mac content on the posted news articles - iphone, Sony, other tech, but no Mac news. Time to either change the content or the name of the site. I'm about to bail after years as a daily reader.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 4, 2008, 05:09 PM

Is it because there's simply an abundance of iPhone/other tech news and a lack of Mac news? Do you think that MacNN sees a new Mac story, but doesn't report on it?

real
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2008, 05:17 PM

That was a waste of time Damm it!
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

psdenno  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2008, 06:33 PM

My point was that they've lost touch with the reason people originally came to the site. If I wanted to read about the iPhone, I'd go to an iPhone centric site. A click on just about every "news" story on mac.nn sends the reader to Electronista, a sister site of mac.nn. If there is no Mac news, let it go until there is. The Mac forums on the site will still generate traffic. There are several other Mac sites that manage to come up with Mac tidbits to keep the reader engaged.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 4, 2008, 08:55 PM

5 out of 6 of the "top stories" cover something related to a Mac, using a Mac, or buying a Mac.

psdenno  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 10:12 AM

It's the daily "fluff" that's my issue. The top stories are spread over a longer period and perhaps they should be the focus of the site and not just a side bar.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 5, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by psdenno View Post
It's the daily "fluff" that's my issue. The top stories are spread over a longer period and perhaps they should be the focus of the site and not just a side bar.
MacNN needs to keep the content "fresh". Perhaps you should blame Apple for not producing newsworthy Macs.

psdenno  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 11:16 AM

Let me again express my concern. The expectation of a site called "macnn.com" is that it will be about Mac computers. I wouldn't expect to read mostly about Fords, Chryslers, and hair dryers at a site named "chevienn.com". My point is that macnn has lost its focus. Today's current stories on the site are a perfect example of that I mean. If I wanted to read about Sony et al, I'd go directly to electronista.com and not go through the redirect process on macnn.com when I click on a non-Mac related story. I didn't intend this to become a pissing contest, merely a comment on the direction the site has taken. If you're content with it, enjoy! I'm losing interest.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by psdenno View Post
My point is that macnn has lost its focus.
Point the finger at Apple. Their focus left Macs a few years ago.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 05:47 PM

I blame the liberal media.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2008, 03:10 PM

I've got to agree with psdenno. MacNN has turned way down hill in the last couple of years. To the point where I use the forums, and occasionally check in on the news section just to be disappointed that it hasn't improved.

So there is a slow news day? Well then, don't bombast me with a bunch of articles about the latest Sony phone, or how many megapixels the next Nikon will have. I'm not going to sift through the non-mac stuff, just to find the occasional kernel of Mac info. I'll get my Mac news elsewhere.

The other funny thing is this particular forum. Should be the "macnn forums feedback", as complaints about the macnn "news" site just go unanswered/ignored.

Forum Links
Forum Rules