Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Question about posting in the marketplace

Question about posting in the marketplace
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2009, 09:30 PM

So I totally missed out on the Woot BOC tonight. I was all pissed off about it, and then decided to be less materialistic and instead have my own BOC sale.

I have craploads of computer and electronic stuff that I'm not going to use, and I want to get rid of some of it, so I figured I'd go through everything, part it out into bags (three items per), and sell em for like $10 shipped. Would this be appropriate to post in the marketplace? I figure it will be, but I wanted to double check before doing so.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2009, 11:18 PM

Darn, missed it, too.

The only BOC I ever scored had a Roomba in it. I was ecstatic.

-t

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2009, 11:44 PM

Lucky bast4rd. That's the only thing I really wanted.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2009, 11:57 PM

But they didn't lie about the crap. The rest in my 3 BOCs was utter crap.

The T-shirt is so bad, it's almost good.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2009, 12:08 AM

What kind of Deceptibum finds a robot's groin offensive?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 01:30 AM

Mods? Anyone? Bueller?

reader50
Administrator
Feb 20, 2009, 05:48 PM

A better place to ask is in the Marketplace or by PM'ing the Market mods - if it isn't illegal, they will usually make such calls.

That said, it might help to define 'BOC' for the rest of us. It's hard to give an opinion on an unknown request. Sounds like a luck-of-the-draw sale, with mystery bagged items. urbandictionary has a 'boc' entry, but it seems offtopic for this context.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2009, 06:08 PM

BOC: Bag of Crap

Bag O' Crap
In lieu of typical product sales, Woot occasionally offers a fukubukuro-like blind grab bag officially called "Random Crap". Its accompanying picture has lent it the name "Bag O' Crap" (BOC). The BOC sells for $1.00 but users are advised to buy the maximum of 3. The BOC typically includes dollar store items and may include significantly more expensive items such as large flat-screen televisions.[7] The BOC typically triggers the flooding and subsequent overload of Woot's servers with thousands and thousands of order requests. The available BOCs typically sell out within seconds. Processing a customer's order for a BOC, assuming he or she is first lucky enough to get one before everyone else, may sometimes take over an hour.
a.k.a.

Bandolier of Carrots
Blinged-Out Cabbage
Breakfast Of Champions
etc...

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2009, 07:08 PM

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
A better place to ask is in the Marketplace or by PM'ing the Market mods - if it isn't illegal, they will usually make such calls.

That said, it might help to define 'BOC' for the rest of us. It's hard to give an opinion on an unknown request. Sounds like a luck-of-the-draw sale, with mystery bagged items. urbandictionary has a 'boc' entry, but it seems offtopic for this context.
Well, I have a lot of crap in three categories: laptop accessories, computer parts (video cards, RAM, etc) of varying age (DDR2, PC133, AGP, whatever else), and general electronics (USB hubs, MP3 players, iPod accessories, etc). I'm going to split up everything and do BOCs (three items to a bag) so that you can ask for whichever of the three you'd like more.

I really just want to get rid of stuff. I'm accumulated a sick amount of crap in the past four years from all my projects, deals I couldn't pass up, free stuff from reviews I've written, etc. I'll post in the marketplace and see if people are interested - I just didn't want to post there first.

Who's the marketplace mod?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2009, 12:22 PM

i wouldn't mind a shifuimam BOC of $10 if it included usb hubs and MP3 players Good idea mam

Cold Warrior
Feb 21, 2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Who's the marketplace mod?
This link breaks out moderator assignments - http://forums.macnn.com/showgroups.php

You can also go to the Marketplace forum and scroll down. In 'What's Going On', it shows assigned moderators.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2009, 06:35 PM

I think this has been mentioned before, but that link should really be somewhere easily accessible...like in the forum rules post or something.

Anyhow, thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I think this has been mentioned before, but that link should really be somewhere easily accessible...like in the forum rules post or something.

Anyhow, thanks.
Go to ANY forum. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the forum page. Read the names of the mods for that forum. Sure, not all the mods are listed for every forum at the bottom of each forum, but most people are only interested in one forum's mods at a time. The listing doesn't work the way 'd prefer-it lists the person and then what he/she moderates.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2009, 07:41 PM

Sounds okay to me. Basically, so long as we have honest sellers and buyers... and the listings follow the rules... and the buyer is satisfied by the listing... its okay to me.

Describe it best you want... post an asking price. If the description is truthful (as in laptop accessories really are laptop accessories) and it satisfies the buyer (it is the buyer's responsibility to ask for more specifics if he/she is wants more specifics) and there's an OBVIOUS understanding that you are generally probably gonna get CRAP.. and the buyer still wants it... let him buy it. I don't seem to find anything in the rules against that.

Just put something in your post like this:

"Buyer understands that this listing is serious. For sale is a "Bag o Crap" and you may in fact get a shipment of things completely useless to you. But, to the best of my knowledge, the value of the junk shipped will be at least (amount). There are no refunds or exchanges."

Forum Links
Forum Rules