Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Customized Server Icon

Customized Server Icon
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 07:18 PM

Wow this forum is deeeeeeaaaaaad!!

Hopefully theres a few people who read it. I want to make a custom icon for an administrative webapp that I'll use to manage my site. Yes I'll probably be the only one that uses it, but still I want a neat icon. So what I want to do is make an OS X Server style icon. But to do it, I need the "base" that is used in these icons. Then I can just slap my logo on it, add a reflection, and bam, I have one cool icon that no one but me will see. Anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the "base" "disc" used in these icons?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 07:35 PM

And of course, no sooner do I post this question that I've been meaning to post for days, that I figure out a way I can do it with the server monitor and server admin icons. Mine came out just the way I wanted it to

reader50
Administrator
Dec 4, 2010, 03:25 AM

Could you post the blank you created? Never know what someone else might create with it.

note: you missed some leftover shadow pixels on the bottom border.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2010, 08:48 AM

It's not quite a blank, but my ML icon covers up the remnants of the blue servermonitor icon.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2010, 09:28 AM

Very cool. What tool did you use to "clean up" the original? I try to do this sort of thing sometimes, but finding a "overlay an oval" tool is pretty much impossible (for me anyway).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Very cool. What tool did you use to "clean up" the original? I try to do this sort of thing sometimes, but finding a "overlay an oval" tool is pretty much impossible (for me anyway).
That's really all I did. I just drew an oval over the top of the disk, and applied a gradient to it with colors I stole from the original. Then I just had to do a little cleaning up around the lip. You can still see some minor defects at full size, but once you shrink it down to icon size, it should look real good.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2010, 09:34 AM

GIMP would do that, right? The oval, I mean-I have already (sort of) figured out gradients with it...

Maybe my earlier attempts weren't successful not because of the oval, but because I didn't take the gradient into account and thus had trouble matching the overlay. Hmmmmm. This is sort of like finding out you can use the same screw driver on wood screws AND bolts... Cool.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2010, 09:35 AM

GIMP? There's your problem. Photoshop. Or possible Pixelmator. But GIMP? NOPE.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2010, 09:38 AM

Crud. Free is important to me, as I don't do enough with image editing to "justify" spending that much money on software.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2010, 09:42 AM

Free is great. But there are things free does well, and things free fails at. Free kick ass at servers, mysql, apache, things that don't have a GUI. Free fails miserably at things that have graphical interfaces. And especially one that needs to be a complicated as a "photoshop killer".

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Crud. Free is important to me, as I don't do enough with image editing to "justify" spending that much money on software.
Photoshop Elements works fairly well for me.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 10:31 AM

I've never used elements, I assume it's just a stripped down version of photoshop. I wonder what parts are missing.

-Q-
Dec 7, 2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I've never used elements, I assume it's just a stripped down version of photoshop. I wonder what parts are missing.
It's been years since I looked at it, but it used to be missing layers (I think they added that in to recent versions) and the ability to deal with CMYK images. That's what my wife's office distributes to the marketing peeps for image editing (the real artists get photoshop, of course).

And for all it does, Pixelmator is quite reasonably priced at US$60.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2010, 01:44 PM

Photoshop without layers... is basically... MacPaint

reader50
Administrator
Dec 7, 2010, 02:48 PM

I've used Elements since v2, and it does have layers. But since I haven't used the real PS, I can't say what is missing. Some of the more sophisticated color controls perhaps, and I'd imagine some filters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules