Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is Toast best for Bluray?

Is Toast best for Bluray?
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2014, 06:30 PM

I purchased a Pioneer BDXL/DVD burner for my 27" late 2013 iMac. I have iDVD from iLife. I would like to burn HD video from my Canon HD camcorder to Bluray. I see Toast is available on the app store and has a Bluray burn plugin. Has anyone use Toast for creating Blurays?
45/47

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2014, 10:05 AM

Yes, I have, and I believe it's the ONLY affordable software to encode/burn Blu-ray Discs on a Mac. It can be limited (compared to say DVD Studio Pro) regarding menus, layout, etc, but it gives a basic set of tools to make discs that play on set-top Blu-ray players. It's a bit more like iDVD in respect of its flexibility.

BTW: note the "new" nomenclature used for Blu-ray Discs:

BD (not "BR") = Blue-ray Disc - commercially pressed
BD-R = write-once (like CD-R or DVD-R)
BD-RE = writable, erasable, then re-writable (like CD-RW or DVD-RW)

I only mention this as it can be confusing for those used to CD and DVD authoring/burning terminology.

DEFINITELY buy a couple of BD-RE discs for your first few experiments. BD-Rs are available in inkjet printable form if you want to go the whole hog with decent looking artwork on disc, and (the correct) Blu-ray library cases. These cases have different insert sizes compared to DVD cases.
( Last edited by mooblie; Nov 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM. )
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

Forum Links
Forum Rules