Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight: the path is blocked from veiw

Spotlight: the path is blocked from veiw
kevs
Mac Elite
May 16, 2016, 02:02 PM

Often when I get a result from Spotlight, I click command to see the path, and in the very small window that is spotlight, the path is truncated. I cannot see if it's coming from a backup drive or my main hardrive. Anyway to open that window at all? Thanks. I tried everything and that window does not seem to get bigger and there is not even a scoll to move the result to the left.

ibook_steve
May 17, 2016, 04:30 PM

Scroll to the bottom of the found items list and double-click the option to view the results in the Finder.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 17, 2016, 08:22 PM

Thanks,Steve, by the time I do the scroll to the bottom, then I double click that. Then I eyeball up and down the new the new finder window, I may not remember what file I was wanted to see in the first place, very laborious.

Is it odd that the path is blocked in spotlight? Am I the first to notice?

Curiosity
Senior User
May 24, 2016, 01:29 AM

Spotlight does block some paths. I suggest getting Easyfind, which can find anything on any drive. It can even find invisible files, or those inside app packages. Why Apple crippled Spotlight, I have no idea, but Easyfind is not crippled.

P
May 24, 2016, 11:43 AM

Spotlight hides invisible files, or files in invisible folders, by default - probably to avoid confusing people. That can be disabled, however, by going to the advanced search box (Command-F in Finder) and explicitly searching for invisible files.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2016, 03:52 PM

Thanks C, every time I post about Spotlight someone bring up Easyfind! I have and love Easyfind, but this question is on Spotlight.

P, I'm not sure you understand my question, it has nothing to do with invisible files.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2016, 07:38 PM

If any part of the path is invisible, the path won't be shown, including any folders in that path. So your files may be perfectly visible, but they may be a couple levels down from a system folder that's invisible by default. So change your Spotlight settings to show all files and see if your paths are displayed the way you want. Maybe that's not part of your issue, but it can't hurt to see.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2016, 10:39 PM

G, the path is visible, it's just gets cut off from view because the design of spotlight is so poor. It's just a thin rectangle, that CANNOT be stretched out for some reason..

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2016, 05:29 PM

Ah. I'd misunderstood. Is it a particularly long path, or is the box just too tiny? (I'm on my iPad right now, or I'd play with it myself.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2016, 09:45 PM

Go on a 27 " desktop, laptop... the box if crazy, wont expand....normal paths, my stuff is often 4-5 folders in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules