Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Would you stand in line at 4:30am to go to the bar?

Would you stand in line at 4:30am to go to the bar?
Railroader
Banned
Mar 17, 2007, 12:27 PM

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...EWS01/70317004

In East Lansing, people were lining up at 4:30am to get into the local bars, which won't open until 7:00am, for St. Pat's day. Admittedly, there is a limited number of bars, in my opinion, in E. Lansing compare to the number of students, but I think this is outrageous.

I confess to waiting outside of a bar at 6:50am a few times. But I was working third shift and my shift ended at 6:30am. I did not like going to the bar before work, and there were a few of us who would go every couple weeks.

It certainly is a strange sight seeing the sun come up while sitting on a bar stool.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2007, 01:52 PM

Well... Up here we regularly line up at 4:30. But that's for bars that close at 7:00.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 17, 2007, 01:59 PM

Most all the bars in Ft. Laud close at 4am, and I've certainly been in a few of them well past that time. The Hard Rock also is open 24Hrs. so you can drink like an Irishman whenever you feel like it.

Downtown will be crazy tonight, crazy crazy. Spring breakers and kids home from school and fans of all things Irish will be out in full force. The streets are closed off, and the people are packed densely into a few blocks. I haven't decided whether I'll go right home after work, or join the retards for a few drinks.

Happy St. Pattys fools!
ice

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2007, 02:41 PM

People here in Ann Arbor do the same thing.

Here ( How your beer goes from grains to glass - Campus Life ) is an article about the local St. Patrick's day celebration

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Mar 17, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi View Post
Well... Up here we regularly line up at 4:30. But that's for bars that close at 7:00.
I've seen people lined up at 7pm for a bar that opened at 6pm. And they still didn't get in until 10pm.

And I've seen lines hours long for a bar that will close in an hour.

Me, I see a line and I go to the next bar. I am too cool to appear in a "cool" bar.

The only time I have entered a bar with a line was when we were bar hopping for my friend's 30th birthday party. But we toured around in a limo and they always let us in ahead of time when they saw the limo pull up. A few times we called ahead to let them know a large party wanted to enter.

... And somehow this picture seems appropriate:

( Last edited by Railroader; Mar 17, 2007 at 03:45 PM. )

marden
Baninated
Mar 17, 2007, 05:20 PM

Poor Kitty.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 05:35 PM

Waiting in line 3hrs to get into a bar? No chance.
What a crappy city. I didn't wait that long on homecoming in college and I didn't wait that long this past Superbowl. If you don't befriend the people who work at the bars you want to go to so they fast-track you then you bribe the bouncers. If there is a line that long for anything then someone needs to hand out more liquor licences.

Also outside of maybe Boston I don't think I'd be impressed with any city's St Pats celebration after being in Chicago for most of my life. We strech it out to two consecutive weekends.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Mar 17, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
If there is a line that long for anything then someone needs to hand out more liquor licences.
And herein lies the problem. E. Lansing has had a huge problem with students drinking VERY heavily (to death sometimes). One student drank 24 shots of straight liquor on his 21st b-day and died.

They at one time (I don't know if it is still in effect) had laws stating that bars also had to sell a certain percentage of their sales revenue as food. And they severely limit the number of liquor licenses as well. When one becomes available it usually sells for an outrageous amount of money.

Contrast this with Bay City, Michigan were there are about the same number of liquor licenses as their are people and there is heavy competition and prices are reasonable. Most places serve food as a way to get customers and make more money. And I have NEVER seen a line in Bay City to get into a bar.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 06:00 PM

On weekends, even in the winter, there will be lines up and down the main strip of bars here, and girls will be wearing mini-skirts and low cut tops in 30-40 degree weather. Sorry, not for me.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Mar 17, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
On weekends, even in the winter, there will be lines up and down the main strip of bars here, and girls will be wearing mini-skirts and low cut tops in 30-40 degree weather. Sorry, not for me.
That's what they wear to class here!

I have too many classes in the Education College Building. In the Engineering Building women are surrounded by alpha males and are nearly invisible.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 07:02 PM

I don't do lines. Either I'm invited or I'm not interested.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 07:38 PM

There are a few things worth queuing for. A bar isn't one of them.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 09:10 PM

I set trends - I don't follow them.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2007, 01:08 PM

I might queue at 4.30am If I was already drunk, but i would complain loudly.
tin pot, garden shed

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 18, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Waiting in line 3hrs to get into a bar? No chance.
What a crappy city. I didn't wait that long on homecoming in college and I didn't wait that long this past Superbowl. If you don't befriend the people who work at the bars you want to go to so they fast-track you then you bribe the bouncers. If there is a line that long for anything then someone needs to hand out more liquor licences.

Also outside of maybe Boston I don't think I'd be impressed with any city's St Pats celebration after being in Chicago for most of my life. We strech it out to two consecutive weekends.
Once again we're all amazed by your awesomeness. You're SOOOOOO cool dude, you know all the bouncers omg that's so rad we all want to be like you, we'd pay money just to touch you omg we worship you since you're so awesome.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Once again we're all amazed by your awesomeness. You're SOOOOOO cool dude, you know all the bouncers omg that's so rad we all want to be like you, we'd pay money just to touch you omg we worship you since you're so awesome.

haha where did that come from?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 02:39 PM

To this day I've never understood the bar thing. When I want to hang out with friends I prefer to do it in a more intimate setting. A nice quiet restaurant. Someone's house. Can anyone tell me the point of going to a bar? What is it that you do there that you can't do somewhere else that isn't smelly and noisy (and up until recently in many places smoky)?

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
To this day I've never understood the bar thing. When I want to hang out with friends I prefer to do it in a more intimate setting. A nice quiet restaurant. Someone's house. Can anyone tell me the point of going to a bar? What is it that you do there that you can't do somewhere else that isn't smelly and noisy (and up until recently in many places smoky)?
I feel the same way. I prefer a HANGZONE, and a bar is not a hangzone... maybe a coffee shop is a Hangzone, but definitely someone's house, if they have a good tv and a few couches.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 18, 2007, 04:15 PM

Plus the drinks are pricey. I'd much rather go to a house party.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2007, 05:12 PM

Waiting that early and that long to drink green beer and then be freaked out because they pee green? I remember East Lansing being a lot smarter than that...Of course, that was a LONG time ago.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 18, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
haha where did that come from?
I hate that guy. Most people here do. No matter what you've done, he's already done it, 3 times, and was better than you the first time he tried it. No matter where you've been, he claims he's been there before you and it was even cooler. No matter what you've eaten, he's tasted better. No matter what you say, he has to be cooler than you 100% of the time and nothing in your entire life or anybody else's life will amount to anything compared to him.

So I'm a dick whenever he posts, because he's such an .... no name calling rules apply here, so I'm silencing myself.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 06:47 PM

One thing I like about going to bars here in London, is meeting new people from all over the world. Yeah, it can be expensive depending on where you go, but there is also the luxury of getting almost any kind of drink you would want. I am here with 20 other people from the states, that I am friends with, but its still nice to meet other people.

Things I don't like:
Coming from Massachusetts, where its illegal to smoke pretty much anywhere, my lungs have had to overcome quite a bit. Def not used to being around so much smoke.

Bars generally don't seem to stay open as late as I would hope. To party later, you tend to generally have to go to more clubby type bars that charge me to get in the door. Not really into that.

The music is also a lot better here in England.
AXP
Ī”Ī£Ī¦

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
I feel the same way. I prefer a HANGZONE, and a bar is not a hangzone... maybe a coffee shop is a Hangzone, but definitely someone's house, if they have a good tv and a few couches.
You visit people and then watch TV?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 08:12 PM

For those who don't 'get' bars:

Guys go to bars for one simple reason: To chase chicks.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 18, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
For those who don't 'get' bars:

Guys go to bars for one simple reason: To chase skanky chicks that tan a lot and smoke cigarettes.
I have never seen any single girls worth dating at a bar. Ever. And I've been to a lot of bars.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 09:02 PM

I have never seen any single girls worth dating at a bar. Ever. And I've been to a lot of bars.
Maybe bar culture is different where you live. When I lived in London, bars and pubs where the place where everybody hooked up.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2007, 09:46 PM

Maybe bar culture is different where you live. When I lived in London, bars and pubs where the place where everybody hooked up.
London bars must be a LOT different from average bars in the Midwest U.S. I've been to bars and clubs in a number of cities, and except for a certain ambiance in a FEW bars in the French Quarter (and NOT on Bourbon St), the rest have been smoky, loud and crowded by people I don't want to share breathing air with. In Austin, at lest the people at the clubs were "interesting" as entertainment, but they sure weren't my type of crowd. I have gone to bars and "lounges" WITH people, and had fun because of the group I was with, but I NEVER "met" anyone at a bar, nor was it apparently a good idea to do so.

I think the big deal with East Lansing was Eastern Michigan University and a number of, shall we say "inexperienced imbibers" who don't understand that alcohol poisoning is not a worthwhile form of entertainment. College towns tend to be like that.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2007, 10:23 PM

i jumped in the ocean yesterday at 530 for a fund raiser, they bar that was running it was open at 6. We were waiting at 545 for our "free pint with bathingsuit". Saddly we continued drinking afterwords too.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2007, 10:36 PM

I spent St. Paddy's day walking along a beach next to the Irish Sea in driving rain. Much more fun than sitting in a bar.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 18, 2007, 11:06 PM

No, that's the same here, kinda.... but really the only people who do that have pretty low standards. Looking for a hot piece of ass that smells like an ashtray, spends too much time tanning, too much makeup, etc. I mean...yeah... skanky hos can be nice to look at, but there's no way, even if I was single, that I'd want to risk getting herpes or something. Yech. Any girl that was intelligent, hot, and worth getting to know (instead of just trying to get in their pants) will most likely NOT be at a bar, unless they're not single and with a dude.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 11:15 PM

I went shoe shopping with my sister. Picked up a pair of these:

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2007, 11:17 PM

No, that's the same here, kinda.... but really the only people who do that have pretty low standards. Looking for a hot piece of ass that smells like an ashtray, spends too much time tanning, too much makeup, etc. I mean...yeah... skanky hos can be nice to look at, but there's no way, even if I was single, that I'd want to risk getting herpes or something. Yech. Any girl that was intelligent, hot, and worth getting to know (instead of just trying to get in their pants) will most likely NOT be at a bar, unless they're not single and with a dude.
No. What you must realise is that the whole of the UK social scene is centred around the pub - there's pretty much nothing else to do in the UK with respect to social activities where you can actually hook up with members of the opposite sex.
The pubs and clubs here are full of all types of girls... From city skanks to farmgirl angels. But you also got to remember that there's many, many different types of club and pub - heck, you swear in my local the landlady makes you pay a fine into the charity box (which kind of makes the whole atmosphere of the place more farmgirl-friendly). Everyone goes into the place, from the local copper to the vicar to the bikers to the old ladies out for a quiz night to the farmgirls. Want to watch a vicar singing "Sweet Child In Time" with a bunch of bikers and old ladies while the local folkies strum the chords on a guitar? Yep, seen it done. Not every drinking establishment is a dive.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 18, 2007, 11:30 PM

Sure, but any drinking establishment that guys go to with the DIRECT purpose of finding a piece of ass IS a dive, and is what most bars are. I guess if you count the upscale pubs, there's a lot less skanky hos and whatnot, but still. Pubs/bars aren't a good place to meet quality womensez.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
No. What you must realise is that the whole of the UK social scene is centred around the pub - there's pretty much nothing else to do in the UK with respect to social activities where you can actually hook up with members of the opposite sex.
The pubs and clubs here are full of all types of girls... From city skanks to farmgirl angels. But you also got to remember that there's many, many different types of club and pub - heck, you swear in my local the landlady makes you pay a fine into the charity box (which kind of makes the whole atmosphere of the place more farmgirl-friendly). Everyone goes into the place, from the local copper to the vicar to the bikers to the old ladies out for a quiz night to the farmgirls. Want to watch a vicar singing "Sweet Child In Time" with a bunch of bikers and old ladies while the local folkies strum the chords on a guitar? Yep, seen it done. Not every drinking establishment is a dive.
Even more than because of your day by the Irish Sea, I am (in keeping with the St. Pat's theme) GREEN with envy of your situation, Doofy.

I know a few places where I can get together with my friends and socialize, but they tend to be "themed." One is called "The Flying Saucer" and it specializes in a wide variety of beers from all over (which is great by itself)-but it's still too smoky for me and too filled with jerks and loud mouths. And the "family atmosphere" I've heard that pubs have is completely absent-our local Alcoholic Beverage Commission is pretty harsh, so my group was recently not allowed INSIDE this particular place because ONE of our number was under 21 (though she was technically "of age" because she's married, she didn't have her marriage certificate with her...). We sat on the patio and had our fun in the wind-under the watchful eye of the doorman/bouncer.

An eclectic and friendly place where people can gather and socialize without having some format (other than the rules of courtesy) imposed on them would be GREAT! Ain't gonna happen here, though. We're too individualized and specialized. Damn it!

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I went shoe shopping with my sister. Picked up a pair of these:
What proof are they?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 09:07 AM

I have minions that can wait in lines for me, so I guess the answer is yes.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I have minions that can wait in lines for me, so I guess the answer is yes.
The real question is "do your minions have name tags?" Otherwise they're just space fillers with no chance to do their jobs if a scuffle breaks out in line.

Let's see who gets that reference...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 09:11 AM

The pub in the UK is an extension of people's houses. If you look at a typical terrace in London, Manchester or Birmingham, chances are that the top or bottom house is a pub. One of the main reasons for this is that houses are typically smaller than in North America - land, in the UK, is at a premium.

As a result good pubs are much more than drinking holes. They are an extension of people's living room. Everything from weddings to funerals will be celebrated down the local pub. You'll have all ages from 16 to 96, happily sharing the space. And you will meet cool chicks - I know I have.

Now, I am perfectly aware that the above is the ideal - but it does still exist, especially away from city centers and in the country.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
An eclectic and friendly place where people can gather and socialize without having some format (other than the rules of courtesy) imposed on them would be GREAT! Ain't gonna happen here, though. We're too individualized and specialized. Damn it!

There ya go Glenn, found a couple of pics of the local:

"Stop Look Listen" sign is because a historic steam railway runs right past the place (And yes, I've ended up in the canal once or twice. ).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
What proof are they?
It proves that he went through all the trouble to find a picture on one of the internets.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
It proves that he went through all the trouble to find a picture on one of the internets.
Uhhh...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2007, 10:22 AM

There are girls that don't "tan too much", don't "smell like an ashtray" and don't "wear too much makeup" that DO go to bars. Often with no intention of hooking up or going back to some dude's house. You just sound bitter. Not saying you are, just saying you sound like it.

I like to go to the bar about once a week with a couple of good friends. We never go there like Saturday Night Fever or somesuch trying to get chicks. We just want to have a good beer and have a laugh. Heck, even when I'm goin to the club, it's usually just to listen to a particular DJ or hang with some friends.

Loosen up dude.
ice

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2007, 10:48 AM

So, we've ascertained that every girl Rob has tried to chat up in a bar/pub/club has knocked him back.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 19, 2007, 06:51 PM

Negatory. But I do admit to not even bother trying for many at all in a bar setting, because they were all nasty overtanned skanky ho's. I really don't see 'normal' girls at bars very often, unless I'm with them.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 10:40 PM

So, where you live bars are full of guys and that's it? Or girls don't go to bars unless they have a boyfriend? That sounds like real fun.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2007, 11:17 PM

So, where you live bars are full of guys and that's it? Or girls don't go to bars unless they have a boyfriend? That sounds like real fun.
Negatory. But I do admit to not even bother trying for many at all in a bar setting, because they were all nasty overtanned skanky ho's. I really don't see 'normal' girls at bars very often, unless I'm with them.
No, he's saying there are plenty of girls at bars, but the only cool ones are with him.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Mar 19, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I think the big deal with East Lansing was Eastern Michigan University and a number of, shall we say "inexperienced imbibers" who don't understand that alcohol poisoning is not a worthwhile form of entertainment. College towns tend to be like that.
Michigan State, not Eastern.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Mar 20, 2007, 12:47 AM

No, I'm saying when I go out, I see the following:

1. Skanky ho's.

2. Skanky ho's.

3. Hot intelligent chicks with boyfriends/dudes/husbands/etc

4. Ugly chicks

5. Skanky ho's.

Have I 'hooked up' from going to a bar? Heck no.* Why? Any girl that hooks up from a bar is a skanky ho. Sorry. The women who are worth putting your penis in require more than 1 night of being drunk in order to get into their pants.

*: Maybe a bit later, now that I think about it. But I still stand by my original statement. Guys and girls who go to bars to get laid are skanky and nasty. And unfortunately that's the general bar population.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2007, 03:18 AM

you're so upset, and it's "hoes" not ho's.

BTW, I'm curious. what did the "Hot intelligent chicks" do before getting a boyfriend/dude/husband? did they NOT go to the bar? Or did they only become hot and intelligent when a guy made them their girlfriend/wife?? Ha, that was a flawed statement on your part.

and who says you have to put your penis in a chick the night you meet her? Can't someone flirt? Can't someone find someone else attractive? Exchange numbers, whatever. You're so 1 or 0, black or white, on or off. The world has a lot more variables than you seem to want to admit.
ice

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 08:09 AM

You forgot fat chicks cash, and no, I won't accept them as a subset of ugly chicks. They're big enough to get their own category.

Get it? Big enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules