Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" Aluminum iMac - STOLEN - Brooklyn, NY

24" Aluminum iMac - STOLEN - Brooklyn, NY
mjs975s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 11:23 AM

Just a heads up. Someone broke into my apartment this morning between 7 and 7:30am and stole my 24" Aluminum iMac (Serial W87350Q1X8A). Reported it to the police and to Apple but I'm afraid its not coming home If anyone in the NYC area sees my iMac, please PM me.

*personal contact info removed at sysadmin's advice*

-Michael
( Last edited by mjs975s; Jan 13, 2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: 24" not 23")

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mjs975s View Post
Just a heads up. Someone broke into my apartment this morning between 7 and 7:30am and stole my 24" Aluminum iMac (Serial W87350Q1X8A). Reported it to the police and to Apple but I'm afraid its not coming home If anyone in the NYC area sees my iMac, please PM me.

-Michael
Can't remember what it's called, but did it have the "ET" software, so it could "phone home" ?

Was it password protected, with your home number as a reminder ?

And of course, it was fully backed up, and insured.

You may want to amend your thread heading from 23" to 24" too, or your initial post, whichever is correct.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2009, 01:28 PM

Really sorry to hear about such thing.

Have you provided a copy of the iMac purchase receipt to the police so they can see the legit owner are you? (since the iMac serial number is going to be listed there). Please accept my apologies if you have already done so.

Does your renter/homeowner insurance cover something like this?.

Good luck.

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 01:36 PM

It was password protected but I hadn't disabled autologin. Ironically, I had just been shopping around for renters insurance for the new place. I did have a copy of my receipt handy with the serial number which the officers appreciated. Four total officers showed up and combed the loft conversion over here in WIlliamsburg. It was agreed it had to be an inside job for someone to do it in the 30 minutes I wasn't in my place as well as the fact, that my building has an exterior locked door, plus an interior locked door for each floor. I'm waiting here is my ransacked apt, trying to resist cleaning up because the another team of officers is coming to collect evidence. Oh... and add to the cruel irony I had just purchased a time capsule to back it up which was my project for tonight. Oddly enough they took the attached keyboard and firewire cable but not the wireless mighty mouse sitting next to it.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2009, 01:54 PM

My iMacs are physically secured by a notebook cable lock (only £1), into the iMac locking socket on the rear, looped around the hole in the stand so as not to allow direct pressure on the fixing socket, and through a drilled hole on my desktops, the wooden ones.

Plus, all my cables are cable tied together, so it would entail cutters or unplugging each item, and the cables are routed around different parts of the desk.

Backups consist of two Time machines, two CCC's, two standalone HDD's plus CD's, DVD's SD cards and USB sticks !!

All stored different locations, plus personal data backed up to email addresses.

(Yes, I used to own PC's) Twice bitten, three times shy.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jan 13, 2009 at 02:22 PM. )

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2009, 01:58 PM

-Michael
Is there not a local paper or forum etc where you can post details, to assist in recovery ?

Perhaps even a story in local paper ?

It's a pity, as far as I am aware, that iMacs don't have an IMEI type ID where Apple can disable next time it is used on internet, as well as recording users IP Address, ie where they live .

I think that is part of "ET" type software, whereby the users IP is sent to an email address, not yours of course.

Have you proudly shown off your iMac to anyone ?

Or otherwise mentioned it ?

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the local paper idea, I've just been keeping an eye on craigslist today to see if it shows up. The thing is I live in what's considered an artist collective. It's an old factory that was converted into loft apartments. Everyone, except maybe me, is an artist of some sort and they all have macs. We share a open wireless network in the building so if you are running a mac you can see every mac in the building as far as if it's a macbook, macbook pro, ect in the network listing. The building set up is a bit odd, sort of like a dorm in that on each floor, there are 6 living units, a shared communal kitchen, and 4 shared bathrooms. There are 3 floors and each floor has a separate key required to access that floor plus a key for the exterior door. Then each studio has it's own key. Each studio door has 2 locks, the handle and the deadbolt. Most people that bother to lock either if they are using the bathroom or showering but I always lock the knob portion because I'm more paranoid than most; however, with at certain make of key you can apparently jiggle it enough after putting the key halfway in to allow the knob to unlock which I did not realize until today. Obviously, we all use the same type of key since we all have the same kind of locks. For that matter, I don't know if the person that lived here before me returned their key or if the lock was changed. Everyone I've talked to in the building thus far is shocked and very worried because most of them don't even lock their doors unless we leave because we all know each other and are usually just running to the bathroom or the kitchen.

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 03:31 PM

Some credit card companies offer insurance for purchases made on the card. You wouldn't be so lucky would you?
Cheers
RadioFlyer

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Some credit card companies offer insurance for purchases made on the card. You wouldn't be so lucky would you?
I'm glad you mentioned that because until this morning I wasn't aware of that but unfortunately my card only does does for the first 90 days if it's stolen; however, if anyone else should suffer a robbery, it's nice to be aware that your card may cover it. My card doubles the manufacturers warranty which I think is a more common benefit.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2009, 04:18 PM

Check eBay and Craig's List ASAP for 24" iMacs being sold in and around NY, then ask the seller if he/she can provide you with the SN. It's good you reported to Apple cuz if the person that stole/bought it brings it to an Apple Store to get it fixed, it'll be flagged stolen.

A place I used to work at recovered 3 stolen eMacs by checking eBay.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2009, 10:44 PM

Just thought I'd post an update. First, the eBay and CL idea is great. I've been looking. Second, the cops came by and dusted for fingerprints and it turns out they have to have a slick, reflective surface such as glass or polished metal. Additionally, if 2 fingerprints overlap like on a doorknob, they're worthless. Finally, turns out the locks in this building place are very cheap and similar enough that their keys can unlock not only their deadbolts but also mine!

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2009, 11:12 PM

Just thought I'd post an update. First, the eBay and CL idea is great. I've been looking. Second, the cops came by and dusted for fingerprints and it turns out they have to have a slick, reflective surface such as glass or polished metal. Additionally, if 2 fingerprints overlap like on a doorknob, they're worthless. Finally, turns out the locks in this building place are very cheap and similar enough that their keys can unlock not only their deadbolts but also mine!
Looks like the cops need to investigate all the other tenants and do a good search of their apartments.

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2009, 01:53 AM

Well the MSN messenger account on the computer signed in tonight, my friend spotted it and called me. I contacted MSN Customer Service to try to obtain an IP address but it's probably a long shot. The good/bad news is my hard drive is still in tact and hasn't been wiped but they still have access to all my data; however, the computer is no longer in the building or it would have shown up on the local wireless network so that's the downside. I still agree they should investigate all the tenants especially the one that just moved out.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2009, 02:07 AM

Finally, turns out the locks in this building place are very cheap and similar enough that their keys can unlock not only their deadbolts but also mine!
if this is the case then your landlord is responsible. call your lawyer if need be
Bow chicka bow-wow

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2009, 04:36 AM

Well the MSN messenger account on the computer signed in tonight, my friend spotted it and called me. I contacted MSN Customer Service to try to obtain an IP address but it's probably a long shot. The good/bad news is my hard drive is still in tact and hasn't been wiped but they still have access to all my data; however, the computer is no longer in the building or it would have shown up on the local wireless network so that's the downside. I still agree they should investigate all the tenants especially the one that just moved out.
If and when you get it back, or a replacement, why not .dmg password protect the disk utility and associated Utilities folder to prevent easy disk erasure.

Of course deleting items individually still would be available.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 05:33 AM

There are sites on the web where you can post your computer as stolen.

Second hand dealers access these sites, and private persons.

Google it.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 05:34 AM

Is this the software where a stolen computer phones home?

http://www.pcphonehome.com/

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
If and when you get it back, or a replacement, why not .dmg password protect the disk utility and associated Utilities folder to prevent easy disk erasure.

Of course deleting items individually still would be available.
Can you give details on how to do that?

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2009, 07:04 PM

So the detective assigned to the case has came and talked to me and the residents of the building. He is also supposed to acquire security tapes from the cameras two buildings over; however, at this point I think the hard drive has been wiped because the person has stopped logging in. I contacted MSN and AOL to try to get IP addresses but I feel like I'm going around in circles. They keep telling me they can't release the IP address to me, only to law enforcement which I understand but they won't give me the contact information to give to the detective to make the specific request. I've been checking eBay and CL but so far no luck. I have noticed a couple new computers show up on the local network but unfortunately I don't know the mac address associated with my iMac's airport card so I'm that hasn't panned out. I have found a couple directories to look up mac addresses but they just tell you what brand of computer and not necessarily the specific make. I suppose that would be pretty difficult unless Apple has a specific airport card for the iMac. Merely, showing it's the new computers are macs isn't enough because nearly everyone in the building has a mac of some kind. Any other suggestions/ideas?

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Can you give details on how to do that?
Open disk utility, help is very helpful.

It's a bit scary at first, then once it clicks, you're in.

File, new, blank disc image ... save as, volume name, volume size, encryption 128, create ... (I suggest always create on desktop option)

You will be asked for password, don't select store on computer option, make size a bit larger than what you need, you lose a bit in creation.

Then after a few seconds depending on volume size created, double click on new image, and enter password to open image, treat it as an external drive.

Note: it is treated as an external disk, and any files you transfer will be copied, not moved.

Copy disk utility into the password protected .dmg folder

Delete disk utility off computer.

NOW, having said all that, I do believe disk utility will not allow you to erase the main HDD, it would have to be done from an installation disc.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jan 18, 2009 at 09:19 PM. )

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2009, 08:40 PM

Any other suggestions/ideas?
Local Pawn shops ?

At this stage, for the replacement, all I can suggest is:

Insure
Password
Backup
Secure

Regarding the possible erasure of your HDD

1) Bad point, makes it more difficult to locate computer

2) Good point, at least all your personal data had been deleted.

If you had auto login on some websites, including MacNN and your email addresses, perhaps the perp is watching !

Also, there must be a way to inform Apple of the stolen ID or serial number, so that at some point, upon registration or repair they have a database of stolen equipment.

I wonder if it's better to also display your Serial Number in your main thread heading ?

Have a look at these websites, may be of some help

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/cocon...ard/index.html
http://www.powermax.com/
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Jan 18, 2009 at 09:34 PM. )

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2009, 12:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding pawn shops, I wouldn't even know where to start looking being that even just brooklyn is enormous not to mention if it was taken into one of the other boroughs. As for passwords, I changed them all except the instant messenger ones because I wanted to make sure the person was automatically logged in to attempt to log their IP. Finally, got word back from Microsoft tonight with an email address and case number to give the detective working the case to attempt to obtain the IP address. I have talked to Apple and they listed the machine as stolen in their records but past that they said there is nothing they can do.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Is this the software where a stolen computer phones home?

http://www.pcphonehome.com/
I don't know about this one you mention. Reportedly, the best for the Mac is Undercover. It is of course too late for the OP, but just to let the others know.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jan 19, 2009, 07:26 AM

sorry to hear of your loss

it will be interesting to see if anything comes of the IP if you can obtain one from MSN, keep us up to date

who ever posted about securing their imac to the desk, got me thinking i could do that so easily cause there a large wooden column on my desk behind my imac which would be ideal, gonna consider that
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

MichaelNH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2009, 11:46 AM

For a long time they had the MAC address on the imac box, if you managed to keep that around. if you were on wireless, and the imac is very close, it will still try to join your network first, and you can monitor the MAC addresses that are on your network... jot them down and compare what's on the imac box if you still have it.

MichaelNH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2009, 11:47 AM

AND...... since the MAC address is more unique than the serial number, see if Apple keeps the MAC address on record with your serial number... then you can compare airport mac address.... a long shot, but keep plugging away man.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
who ever posted about securing their imac to the desk, got me thinking i could do that so easily cause there a large wooden column on my desk behind my imac which would be ideal, gonna consider that
'Twas me, get yourself down to your local Poundland for the notebook security cable.

£1 each !!

roberto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2009, 08:16 PM

Can't remember what it's called, but did it have the "ET" software, so it could "phone home" ?

Was it password protected, with your home number as a reminder ?

And of course, it was fully backed up, and insured.

You may want to amend your thread heading from 23" to 24" too, or your initial post, whichever is correct.
just wanted to say thanks MacNNUK for the 'Password Hint' tip
- i've implemented it on my new (unibody) macbook this second!

cheers
roberto (ex bournemouth!)

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by roberto View Post
just wanted to say thanks MacNNUK for the 'Password Hint' tip
- i've implemented it on my new (unibody) macbook this second!

cheers
roberto (ex bournemouth!)
Excellent.

I actually have my mobile number as the hint in UK, (I turn my mobile off at night), just in case a skanky git rings me night-time.

I have too many home phones to go round turning them all off at night.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2009, 08:14 PM

Open disk utility, help is very helpful.

It's a bit scary at first, then once it clicks, you're in.

File, new, blank disc image ... save as, volume name, volume size, encryption 128, create ... (I suggest always create on desktop option)

You will be asked for password, don't select store on computer option, make size a bit larger than what you need, you lose a bit in creation.

Then after a few seconds depending on volume size created, double click on new image, and enter password to open image, treat it as an external drive.

Note: it is treated as an external disk, and any files you transfer will be copied, not moved.

Copy disk utility into the password protected .dmg folder

Delete disk utility off computer.

NOW, having said all that, I do believe disk utility will not allow you to erase the main HDD, it would have to be done from an installation disc.
And if a thief would use install disks or put the computer in target mode I'd say this wouldn't work, as everything would be overwritten.

But it's a nice idea, though.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2009, 08:19 AM

Don't you have renter's insurance? What is your deductible?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by MichaelNH View Post
AND...... since the MAC address is more unique than the serial number, see if Apple keeps the MAC address on record with your serial number... then you can compare airport mac address.... a long shot, but keep plugging away man.
Thought of this. Don't have the box and Applecare claims they don't have the mac address anywhere on file. Unfortunately no news to report. NYPD apparently has more important things to worry about than 1 guys computer but it should be open and shut b/c it had to be someone in the building and there are security cameras 2 buildings down because of an armored car service. They are pointed in every direction.

As for renters insurance, I checked and it wouldn't cover something like this because NYPD determined the locks to be unsecure since they were keyed similar enough that other tenants keys apparently worked on my lock.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 07:10 PM

As for renters insurance, I checked and it wouldn't cover something like this because NYPD determined the locks to be unsecure since they were keyed similar enough that other tenants keys apparently worked on my lock.
Then it's your landlord's responsibility. They are responsible for providing locks that are actually secure. You can use the NYPD's determination in your favor.

mermaids1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2009, 11:23 PM

hey dude i found the iMac 24 Aluminum its on craigslist.co.uk and its going for £100 i was about to think about buying it wen i was wondering if it has msn messenger so i typed it in and it linked me to this website where i saw your comment and about your moputer getting stolen i hope i helped mate.hope you get it bk now click on the link below iMac 24 Aluminum 2.4 GHZ, 3GB RAM, Fully Loaded Extras

mermaids1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2009, 11:24 PM

hey i found that computer on craigslist.co.uk and its goin for £100 i was about to buy it then wondered if it had messenger so i searched it and it came to this page hoped i helped heres the link . iMac 24 Aluminum 2.4 GHZ, 3GB RAM, Fully Loaded Extras

mjs975s  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2009, 12:27 AM

I really appreciate the thought/effort on your part but I think you might be mistaken. The specs on the iMac listed on the London Craigslist don't match the specs of my stolen iMac. Additionally, my MSN name is not the same as the name I use on here so I'm confused as how you used the MSN name you saw to locate me. In fact, they're not even similar. Again, I appreciate the thought and I wish it was my computer.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2009, 12:12 AM

Just to clarify: a MAC address is used to identify a computer on a LAN: six digits for maker, six digits for ID. It's totally controllable in software. A serial number is unique per unit. The two are not comparable.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2009, 12:34 PM

Best of luck, just don't let up. Hopefully the cops will stumble on something. They should be investigating the CCTV.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mermaids1234 View Post
hey dude i found the iMac 24 Aluminum its on craigslist.co.uk and its going for £100 i was about to think about buying it wen i was wondering if it has msn messenger so i typed it in and it linked me to this website where i saw your comment and about your moputer getting stolen i hope i helped mate.hope you get it bk now click on the link below iMac 24 Aluminum 2.4 GHZ, 3GB RAM, Fully Loaded Extras
There's a certain irony about somebody trying to hock a Craig's List scam in a thread on a stolen iMac.

Really kind of funny, if it weren't so sad.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2009, 01:52 PM

I reported that post right after it was submitted. Unfortunately moderation didn't remove the obvious spam.

Forum Links
Forum Rules