Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Which WIFI channel?

Which WIFI channel?
chrispl0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2009, 10:26 AM

Hi there
Can someone help / explain to me why my 24" iMac wont work on WIFI channel 6 but the old iBook will and why my iBook wont work on channel 12 but my iMac will.
See my problem is getting them both to work on the same one. I don't understand WIFI enough to figure out whats happening.

Regards
Chris

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2009, 03:55 PM

Your old iBook can't see channel 12: 802.11b/g can only see 0 - 11. Set them all to automatic (the iMac, the iBook, your base station) and they should figure it out.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2009, 09:27 PM

His iBook MIGHT see 12-but not in the States. chrispl0, where are you located? In the States, WiFi is limited to channels 1-11, but in Europe there's a mish-mash of different channel sets...

In any case, your iMac probably has a MUCH better AirPort card than your iBook-which topped out with WiFi G functionality, while the iMac most likely has an N card. That's probably why the iMac can see a channel the iBook can't. As for why the iBook can see chan 6 but the iMac can't, that could be due to the location of the iMac and the access point providing connections on channel 6, or a few other things, especially certain security related issues.

A really good description of where you are, where the access points (base stations) in question are in relation to your computers, and just exactly what kind of errors you're seeing, would be really helpful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrispl0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2009, 08:53 AM

Hi there
Many thanks for the help.
My UK IP suggested channel 12 and 6, thats why I used them but using what you said.
Channel 11 works with both now.
I now know a little more.
Many Thanks.

Chris

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009, 07:24 AM

Cool.

FYI (and everyone else's), most WiFi boxes come configured from the factory for the middle channel, typically either 6 or 7, because that's where they are able to put out the most power. And since about 90% (non-scientific estimate, in other words a WAG) of WiFi users never even look at their devices to see how they're configured, about 90% of all WiFi access points are set in the factory default configuration-on channel 6 or 7. Avoiding those channels is probably the easiest way to get around interference and coverage issues there can be.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrispl0  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 08:51 AM

Excellent!
Thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules