Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I Need an On-Screen Keyboard for the Login Screen in Leopard

I Need an On-Screen Keyboard for the Login Screen in Leopard
seandavid010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2010, 10:31 AM

Ok, so here's the deal:

I have two machines at my desk - a MacBook and a Power Mac G5 - and both are running 10.5.8. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected to the MacBook and use Teleport so I can use them with the Power Mac as well so I don't have to keep two keyboards on my desk. Here's the problem though:

At night I have to log out on both machines, and when I do so Teleport stops working. This makes it so I can't type my password to log in with my bluetooth keyboard the next morning. The only solution I've found thus far is to keep a USB keyboard plugged into the Power Mac and keep it stashed under my desk, but it's kind of a pain. Anyways, here's my question:

Is it possible to activate the on-screen keyboard from the login screen of Leopard? I can have a little trackball plugged into the Power Mac and keep it on my desk, that's not too big a deal. But I'm trying to get rid of that extra keyboard. Anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate them!

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2010, 04:48 PM

can you use Remote Desktop to VNC into the computer and login? I am pretty sure it works at login screen...

milhous
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 02:14 AM

Maybe there's something under Universal Access settings in System Preferences?
F = ma

-Q-
Mar 12, 2010, 12:59 PM

Haven't tested it at the log-in screen, but if you have an iPhone maybe use something like AirMouse or Logitech Touch Mouse? Those might require the user account to fully load, tho', as they require a 'server' app running on the target machine and for the machine to be connected to the same network...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2010, 01:29 PM

ScreenSharing should work.

You should be able to access the Mac at the login screen if screen sharing is enabled and type in the password.

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2010, 04:27 AM

set it to automagically log you in?

Alex-M
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by seandavid010 View Post
...Is it possible to activate the on-screen keyboard from the login screen of Leopard? ...
It's possible but the on-screen keyboard should support some pre-login limitations. Mac OS X 10.5 introduced the ability to run a launchd agent while the login screen is showing. Pre-login launchd agents are privileged programs; you must be carefully to maintain system security. For example, Typical On-Screen Keyboard for Mac OS X and Typical Virtual Keyboard for Mac OS X both support the login screen. They are for Intel only. You can download it from TypicSoft.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules