Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Simple question iBook with Ext Monitor

Simple question iBook with Ext Monitor
Mr Ti
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 02:28 PM

I know this is a simple question but I need to be absolutley sure on this.

Will an ibook run lid closed with an external19inch lcd while using an apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse? The BT would be built in at the apple store.

Cheers

skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 02:52 PM

No, possible hack maybe, but will probably cause heat problems.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 05:11 PM

I don't know about clamshell mode, but I do know you can mirror and/or span both monitors. Besides you don't want to run the iBook in clamshell mode because all the heat escapes through the keyboard (where as the PB dissipates heat through the alu frame). Even if you could run it in clamshell mode, I still wouldn't suggest it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 10:38 PM

The screen spanning hack does give you the option of clamshell mode when you install it. I've never tried it as I was scared about the excess heat building up.

The best thing to do would be to install the hack without clamshell mode, and then use your 19" LCD as your primary monitor and the ibook's display as the secondary screen. That way you can leave things like iTunes or your favourite IM program on the little iBook screen while you do everything else on the big one.

Keep in mind that no matter how you set it up, using an external display with the ibook splits the video ram in half, so games that need more than 16mb vram won't run that well.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Mr Ti  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 07:04 AM

Thanks, so the safest route is a 12inch PB then. Never mind I'll just have to wait a little longer.

Nacente
Aug 26, 2004, 07:45 AM

Yep, heat problems for sure.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 11:20 AM

Keep in mind that no matter how you set it up, using an external display with the ibook splits the video ram in half
Not true, if you infact do use the iBook in clamshell mode, all 32mb will drive the external. If you span both monitors though, then you'll be stuck with 16mb each.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules