Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Am i the only one who finds the 17" portable?

Am i the only one who finds the 17" portable?
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 05:45 AM

Hi,
Used one today at work doing some light i-movie editing of showreels and i must say how much i love the thing.Questions is am i nuts for thinking that this thing is ultrportable?Im that serious i have been clamouring for a 13" powerbook but since that may never happen i really want the 17"(assuming the wallet agrees.) Or at the very least a 15" powerbook.

who else finds the 17" portable?
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2005, 06:27 AM

As the owner of a 17-inch PowerBook who transports it to and from work everyday, you get used to it. It's just a routine, however, it does become a problem when you want to move it all of the time. As a network admin, I find myself grabbing the 12-inch iBook when someone has a connection problem somewhere in the building.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2005, 08:15 AM

If a 13 came out with hot swoppable batteries and backlit keyboard, it would be quite attractive.

Until then, the extra screen size on a 17 is worth carrying it around. I take mine to work (often on the subway) and I've flown with it across the US, Asia and Europe.

With a good bag for it, the weight issue is rendered moot.

I use an XT-Stand when out as well. Great, portable stand and very stable. Besides, the looks people give you when you pull the 17 also makes any hassles worth the trouble.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 08:29 AM

well at least am not alone.I guess i would have to use one for than one dayi guess to see how i feel about lugging it around.I just cant say no to the screenspace.I crave one becuase i cant stand the standard 12" 1024x 768 screens and i have used an old 667G4 PB and it looked washed out.I guess i could get used to either one of the 2 high end PB's.

Since i crave battery life i also wouldnt mind the ability 2 use 2 battery's

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 08:51 AM

I've had one since they were first introduced. I take it everywhere with me, including to and from work 5 days a week. It goes with me on vacations and business travel. Having the right bag is key. I don't even notice the weight issue and considering it is the same weight as my old clamshell iBook, it really wasn't a big deal even at the start. It is hands down the best machine I've ever purchased. As soon as the next significant upgrade is released, I'll probably by another one.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 7, 2005, 09:59 AM

Even the 15" is too big for coach on the plane IMO.

I like the other extreme. Right now I'm running a 12" iBook, after selling my 15" TiBook. But then again I don't need a huge amount of screen space when I travel, and I already have a Mac at work. I would love to have a 2.1 kg (4.63 lb) 13" widescreen 1152x768 PowerBook, that lasted 6 hours.

Different strokes for different folks.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 10:08 AM

Isn't this thread like asking "how big is a rectangle seventeen-inches in diameter?"

Duh.

Anyway, it's easy to manage Application windows using the F9 Function Key. I humbly opine that, when it comes to portables, bigger is not necessarily better.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 10:17 AM

one of my biz partners has the 17", in a pro metal case.
it's a great machine, but it seems like a commitment to carrying it around.
still, if it makes you happy, go for it.

i replaced my (14") pismo with a 12" alubook, and couldn't be happier.
the size of this pb....i take it everywhere, padded case in a backpack.

also agree with above poster, the xt stand is the best stand out there (especially for the 12", which, alas, gets pretty hot)

o well, nothing is perfect (yet...let's see what the 2006 powerbooks are like )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Even the 15" is too big for coach on the plane IMO.

I like the other extreme. Right now I'm running a 12" iBook, after selling my 15" TiBook. But then again I don't need a huge amount of screen space when I travel, and I already have a Mac at work. I would love to have a 2.1 kg (4.63 lb) 13" widescreen 1152x768 PowerBook, that lasted 6 hours.

Different strokes for different folks.

i would love for apple to introduce a 13" PB, I even started a thread on it.But in saying that maybe im still in awe of all the screenspace on the go.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 11:27 AM

I use it all the time - lug it to and from various studios, mainly for video editing. I tell you, pair that mother with a terabyte Lacie drive - you feel all man/geek.

I don't find it a problem taking it with me abroad, although I've only used it once in economy/coach, and it wasn't that hard. Generally I find working on planes annoying though; so if it's critical to you, to travel in undersized seats, and work, I wouldn't rely on it.
I have Mac

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2005, 01:46 PM

I used to lug mine around but got tired of it. I mean, I would't think of slinging it across my shoulder and browzing around a mall. Now it stays home for the heavy video editing, although I did show off a project to a customer with it yesterday. I never fails to get a favorable comment. Since I have become a Verizon Broadband wireless access fanatic this past year I surrendered back to the darkside when it comes to mobile, since Apple has no offerings 12" or under with a PC CARD SLOT. I take my 10.6" screen Sony Vaio T250 internet toy anywhere and get on the net anywhere in the Miami Ft Lauderdale area. Just slip in the Kyocera KPC650 card and booyah; high speed internet with no base station or routers. A newer model laptop from Fujitsu and an 11" wide screen from Sony is comming soon.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...me=specs&var2=

I'll have a Double layer DVD with that Bluetooth sandwich and hold the Parallel port please...tasty.

Filburt
Oct 7, 2005, 02:41 PM

12-inch needs to catchup to 15- and 17-inch -- widescreen LCD, higher RAM capacity, similarly spec'd G4 and GPU, gigabit ethernet, FireWire 800, and backlit keyboard.

That said, for the price of 17-inch, you can get 12-inch AND 20-inch Cinema Display. Granted, that is not the same as having 17" LCD available to you at all time, but for the same money, you can get more display real estate AND portability. Adding to the equation is lower resolution display on 17-inch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules