Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New BlackBook (Refurb) came with 10.4.6... what a pain!

New BlackBook (Refurb) came with 10.4.6... what a pain!
Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 06:34 PM

<rant>I just got a refurb'd BlackBook for my niece and turned it on only to find that it had 10.4.6 installed. Now I have to wait for 660+ MB of updates on my painfully slow internet connection. </rant>

There ... now I feel better.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2006, 06:37 PM

surely from 10.4.6 -> 10.4.8 isnt 600mb
we don't have time to stop for gas

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
surely from 10.4.6 -> 10.4.8 isnt 600mb
The OS X Update is 300 MB. iTunes, Quicktime, iWeb, iDVD, etc... bring it up to 666.4 MB.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
<rant>I just got a refurb'd BlackBook for my niece and turned it on only to find that it had 10.4.6 installed. Now I have to wait for 660+ MB of updates on my painfully slow internet connection. </rant>

You could always have simply not installed the updates...

I gave my old eMac to my mum and siblings around half a year ago now and they don't have internet access so it hasn't been updated since. It still runs just as well...

However, if there was some specific problem that you needed an update to fix then please ignore this post.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006, 10:13 AM

I've bought brand spanking new Macs that have been more out of date than that.

Anyway, being a Mac I tend to find these minor updates are far from essential and it will more than likely work just fine without them. For the most part, I very rarely even notice a difference after minor updates.

Dont sweat it. Its really no biggy.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
I've bought brand spanking new Macs that have been more out of date than that.

Anyway, being a Mac I tend to find these minor updates are far from essential and it will more than likely work just fine without them. For the most part, I very rarely even notice a difference after minor updates.

Dont sweat it. Its really no biggy.
Minor updates are usually security fixes. So even though you might not notice them, it's a very good idea to get them anyway. Mac OS X isn't invincible, after all.

It doesn't surprise me that the system is outdated. If it's a refurb then it will have the version that came with it. Which, at the time, was probably 10.4.6, but I've been known to be wrong ^_^
 Certified AppleCare Technician

ChasingApple
Senior User
Dec 21, 2006, 06:36 AM

Upgrade your internet connection, you will be happier
iMac G4 / Macbook

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the system is outdated. If it's a refurb then it will have the version that came with it. Which, at the time, was probably 10.4.6, but I've been known to be wrong ^_^
Even many brand new (non-refurb) machines come with a slightly older OS. Only the most recently released models have 10.4.8, some have 10.4.7, and there may even be something "new" that still has 10.4.6. Generally they don't update the restore discs and shipped OS until a new revision of the machine comes out.

ibook_steve
Dec 22, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple View Post
Upgrade your internet connection, you will be happier
I agree with this. Anybody who is still doing dial-up (like my mother; I can't stand going over to her place because of the slowness and lousy phone lines) is really living in the dark ages. You could simply go war driving with the Macbook, find someone's open network (there's got to be one somewhere around) and get the updates much faster.

Steve

amru
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 03:43 PM

or you could get dsl for the same price as dialup perhaps.. if its available in your area.

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 07:49 PM

Sorry but you sound like a baby whining. It's an easy fix for most people. If you don't have a connection fast enough then drop by your local Apple retail store and use theirs. Or you can drop by many local cafe's that offer free broadband wireless or you can drop by Fry's or CompUSA and use their wireless. There are several options for you. I don't mean to sound rude but you have to understand that it is unnecessary to post a rant when this situation is not unusual. Apple is about to release 10.4.9 and there will be several Macs that will be sitting in the stock room at the Apple store that won't be updated after this update.
Your machine has built-in wireless, take advantage of it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

mrplow
Dec 28, 2006, 04:01 AM

Not everybody lives near either dsl OR internet cafes etc... trust me, I know. Besides, one all nighter at 5.3K/s would do it... I feel your pain though.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by amru View Post
or you could get dsl for the same price as dialup perhaps.. if its available in your area.
No you can't. If you really want to be cheap, you can get dialup for free.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 05:06 AM

Go to a college and sit on the steps for an hour while your computer upgrades and watch girls or boys or dogs or whatever you are into while you wait. If you don't have a college in your town, find a WiFi cafe or "big box" electronics store. There are ways, in 2006 / 7 to never have to use dial up again.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2006, 07:39 AM

Is there a way to visit a local college or coffee shop that has fast Internet access? The college where I work has free, unsecured T1+ access. I am sure there are local places with similar setups where you could do a quick install.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I agree with this. Anybody who is still doing dial-up (like my mother; I can't stand going over to her place because of the slowness and lousy phone lines) is really living in the dark ages. You could simply go war driving with the Macbook, find someone's open network (there's got to be one somewhere around) and get the updates much faster.

Steve
In proper defense, there are lots of places that still are not even offered broadband. Dialup --or expensive satellite access-- is still the only game in town.

amru
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Not everybody lives near either dsl OR internet cafes etc... trust me, I know. Besides, one all nighter at 5.3K/s would do it... I feel your pain though.
i know wht u mean.. dsl wasnt available in our area until very recently

Forum Links
Forum Rules