Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPad: Killer App that will get you to open your wallet ?

iPad: Killer App that will get you to open your wallet ?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 02:22 AM

Starcraft or Warcraft 3 for me

Cheers

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 02:27 AM

Pr0n!

Better yet, live adult chat. Hmm... no camera? Boo!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:35 AM

Word and Flash. And yes I'm serious.

Well, it'd need to get a real USB port as well.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 02:52 AM

An RTS that plays exactly like or in a similar innovative way to the R.U.S.E. trailer by Ubisoft. Seriously. I would buy it for that.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 03:17 AM

Generates revenue for me.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 03:20 AM

A good medical EMR program.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 03:28 AM

video streaming via DIVX (my current favorite streaming site uses this) but then again, I like using my dual monitors, one for the video and the other for surfing...

topo maps with standalone GPS functionality would be nice...

however... with the difference between the first and second gen iPhone I wont be touching this first gen ipad...

YUP, I one of those "I am waiting for the second version" guys...

Seriously, standalone GPS would be very nice... none of that AGPS buisness

-Zach

moep
Senior User
Jan 28, 2010, 05:07 AM

Cydia
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
Seriously, standalone GPS would be very nice... none of that AGPS buisness
You need to look into what AGPS actually is. I don't think it means what you think it means. It's a good thing. AGPS ENHANCES normal GPS with radio signals. A unit with AGPS will find it's location faster than the same unit with standalone GPS.

If you are complaining about the iPhone's GPS, that's another issue- one on which I cannot comment as I don't have one. But I can assure you that it's better for having the "A" in it's GPS.

See here for detail.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 05:42 AM

native multitasking

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 10:31 AM

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 10:44 AM

I've decided to get one, only when it gets a computer and app accessible "Home" folder on the device itself.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 11:28 AM

It’s already in there, but they don’t call it “Home”.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 12:43 PM

Camera, mulitasking (seriously, how hard can it be?), and a folder system.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 01:40 PM

True multitasking, a few revisions and it is going to be really hard to pass it up for 500 bucks.

I can do all my heavy computer use on my iMac, I considered the iPhone but really the screen is way to small and I already have a contract with AT&T...and they suck balls.

I'd use it as a laptop, probably forgo 3G and just use WiFi. A real Mac Laptop is to much computer considering I already own a currect gen Intel Mac.

I see my next Apple purchase being an iPad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 02:00 PM

My laptop getting really old and my buying of a new desktop computer.

It will make a nice device to surf on the couch or watch a movie on the go. It's a nice supplement to a desktop. Less so to a laptop.

Plus, version 2.0 or 3.0 and a more fleshed out app selection.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:27 PM

IMO, without Flash, it's not very usefull as a granny computer either.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
IMO, without Flash, it's not very usefull as a granny computer either.
I don't see what flash and grandmas have in common.

My mom is 73 and uses the extra iPod Touch that I gave her. She loves it, including playing Oregon Trail, lol. I can only imagine how much more she will enjoy a larger screen. No learning curve moving from the touch like most devices. I seriously think that is what they went for and why there is nothing too new. People can pick this up and know exactly how it works.

Talking to most of my family, it seems like every household is buying one as soon as they are available. That is at least 5.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lint Police View Post
I don't see what flash and grandmas have in common.
Well, I don't have any grandmas anymore, but the grandmas I know like online Flash games and Flash-based video sites.

Apple has YouTube covered, but not all the bazillion other Flash-based sites.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 02:57 PM

I admit I could be flustered at not being able to view a random video on a tech or gaming site. Maybe the an iPad + iPhone world will be enough to motivate a quicker more widespread move from flash, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:58 PM

Well, I don't have any grandmas anymore, but the grandmas I know like online Flash games and Flash-based video sites.
Heck, are you seriously telling me that all the games in the App Store can not be a suitable replacement for the Flash online games ?

Sure, you might have to spend some extra bucks, but come on ?

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 02:58 PM

Grandma is on a fixed income.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I admit I could be flustered at not being able to view a random video on a tech or gaming site. Maybe the an iPad + iPhone world will be enough to motivate a quicker more widespread move from flash, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Bingo. And even if it does shift (and I think it may, since Adobe has done a poor job with Flash bloat), it won't be any time soon. It's going to take years and years. Meanwhile, the iPad will remain Flash-crippled, unless Apple adds Flash support in OS 4.0.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Heck, are you seriously telling me that all the games in the App Store can not be a suitable replacement for the Flash online games ?
It isn't now. What make you think it will be by February?

I wholeheartedly agree with Jobs' big-picture vision for 2015, but that doesn't mean I would screw my relatives over now by telling them that the iPad is the ultimate surfing machine in 2010. A $399 netbook is far better suited than the iPad for that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:00 PM

Meanwhile, the iPad will remain Flash-crippled, unless Apple adds Flash support in OS 4.0.
If I tell you now that it won't happen, will you refrain from bitching once it doesn't happen ?

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2010, 03:03 PM

Bingo. And even if it does shift (and I think it may, since Adobe has done a poor job with Flash bloat), it won't be any time soon. It's going to take years and years. Meanwhile, the iPad will remain Flash-crippled, unless Apple adds Flash support in OS 4.0.
Given the choice, I accept the flash crippling over compatibility. If a few sites show massive iPhone/iPad bombardment when they make themselves compatible, I think that's all it'll take.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
If I tell you now that it won't happen, will you refrain from bitching once it doesn't happen ?
No, because it will be just as irritating then. Maybe by 6.0 it won't matter, though.

Given the choice, I accept the flash crippling over compatibility. If a few sites show massive iPhone/iPad bombardment when they make themselves compatible, I think that's all it'll take.
That's reasonable. I did the same thing with my iPhone. The iPhone is so much better than all the other smartphones out there (esp. for Mac users), I can deal with having no Flash on it (even though it's still irritating).

OTOH, it's a very different market the iPad has jumped into. It is not competing with braindead smartphones. It's competing with laptops, tablets, and netbooks. For the n00b wanting a pure surfing computer for cheap, I'd still recommend a netbook, despite their many limitations.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 03:19 PM

I don't tend to miss flash that much on my iPhone, except when a blog inlines a video and I have to decide whether I want to remember to see it later. I might care more on the iPad, but it wouldn't be a deal killer for me. I don't really know enough grandmas to guess how much they'll care.

On the other hand, it's stupid to call this a granny computer until you can buy one and have it be totally useable without owning another computer. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Apple aims for within a few revisions, but from what I gather, iTunes sync is a requirement. If I'm wrong about that, someone let me know.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
iTunes sync is a requirement. If I'm wrong about that, someone let me know.
What, really? Ouch.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 07:08 PM

What, really? Ouch.
I'm trying to figure that out for sure, but Google isn't all that helpful yet, and who knows if any of the event attendees thought to ask.

I guess one could extrapolate from related products' functionality: Can you buy an iPod touch and just start using it without connecting to a Mac or PC? I thought you couldn't, but I remembered reading that Apple recently made changes so that you could even create a brand new iTunes account on an iPod touch. If so, I guess you shouldn't have to use iTunes for anything. Especially if for some reason you don't have any music on a computer or CDs.

In any event, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad becomes feasible as a standalone device within a few revisions, if it isn't now.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 07:21 PM

I know you can use an iPhone without ever connecting it to a computer. I know two people who do.

Two stupid crazy people. (one is my mom... who I shouldn't really call stupid or crazy... but when it comes to computing, she is as stupid and crazy as they come)

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 07:41 PM

If I get an iPad, Pages would be the first app I would buy. Killer? maybe, maybe not but. On a side note, it would be nice if pages files could automatically open as either pages file or a word doc.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I know you can use an iPhone without ever connecting it to a computer. I know two people who do.
Eeeeenteresting. I guess it is pretty close to being a good granny computer, depending on Granny's love for Flash games. I expect over-the-air OS upgradeability will show up eventually (though perhaps you'll need to upgrade via iTunes the the OS that enables it).

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 07:53 PM

Native multitasking and Flash. At that point I would consider selling my MBP, getting an iMac, and adding in the iPad for when I'm lounging around the apartment, traveling, etc.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 08:01 PM

One has to wonder if a someone can and will make a camera that fits in the dock connector to use for video chatting. Seems to me it should be possible.

The only thing that worries me about multi-tasking is that once every few weeks or so my wife and I sit on our laptops across the room looking at real estate/cars/horses/etc and send each other links over iChat. Other than that, I don't REALLY multi-task when I having computer leisure time. I may have several apps open, but I'm not using more than one at a time. When I'm working, that's another story, but for doing what this thing was designed for? I really don't see it as a big deal.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 08:12 PM

Grandma is on a fixed income.
If grandma can't afford a few apps every now and then she's got bigger problems than not having Flash on her iPad. How is she going to afford Internet access if money is that tight?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Native multitasking and Flash. At that point I would consider selling my MBP, getting an iMac, and adding in the iPad for when I'm lounging around the apartment, traveling, etc.
Those are two great selling points for me as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 28, 2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
A good medical EMR program.
That would be awesome. It would have to be secure, and maybe have plugins for the big installed players in the hospital EMR game. But having a real-time client to do my documentation at the bedside, a client that wasn't on one of those battery carts, that would be wonderful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
You need to look into what AGPS actually is. I don't think it means what you think it means. It's a good thing. AGPS ENHANCES normal GPS with radio signals. A unit with AGPS will find it's location faster than the same unit with standalone GPS.

If you are complaining about the iPhone's GPS, that's another issue- one on which I cannot comment as I don't have one. But I can assure you that it's better for having the "A" in it's GPS.

See here for detail.
You are quite correct. There is nothing about AGPS that makes it worse than "normal" GPS. It can only add to the performance of your GPS system.

As for the iPad, I don't want one. Now, an iPod Touch with that sweet 3G pay-as-you-go data plan? I would buy it right now if it existed.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2010, 12:12 AM

I'd buy one if it had some sort of stylus ability so I could drawn along side my notes.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
You are quite correct. There is nothing about AGPS that makes it worse than "normal" GPS. It can only add to the performance of your GPS system.

As for the iPad, I don't want one. Now, an iPod Touch with that sweet 3G pay-as-you-go data plan? I would buy it right now if it existed.
I want that limitted data plan for my iPhone. I don't do that much away from wifi so it would be perfect for me.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 12:36 AM

The price is right, but so far the only enticing bit for me is the iPad Camera Connector, and that's not enticing enough.

Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Starcraft or Warcraft 3 for me

Cheers
Another vote for Starcraft. Mmmmm and Dota....

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 01:58 AM

AGPS sucks without a real GPS unit.

The first gen iPhone only has AGPS and no built-in GPS unit. Not as accurate as iPhone 3G/3GS which has a real GPS unit. The less cell towers, the less accurate. No cell towers, you are lost.

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 02:03 AM

RTS games like warcraft and starcraft would be awesome.

So would the more specific tower defense games.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 02:16 AM

Killer apps aside, what about all the other Apple-made iPhone apps that didn't make it to the iPad? I would need Clock and would like Weather and Calculator. Voice Memos make no difference to me. And thank goodness there's no compass app. When will Apple remove that one?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 04:06 AM

Especially at 500 I'm seriously considering one of these even though I don't need it. If anything it would just keep me from banging up my MacBook What would be really killer is if someone made a Bluetooth pen that this thing could interact with, a pad on it that wouldn't scratch the screen, be pressure sensitive and work with something like brushes.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
AGPS sucks without a real GPS unit.

The first gen iPhone only has AGPS and no built-in GPS unit. Not as accurate as iPhone 3G/3GS which has a real GPS unit. The less cell towers, the less accurate. No cell towers, you are lost.

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Read the article you posted again. I'm afraid you are just incorrect. The first gen iPhone didn't have GPS, (with a A or otherwise), it relied on data from nearby wifi signals and cell towers to estimate location. A-GPS is a "real" GPS + assistance from terrestrial radio signals to more quickly find your initial location.

Again, re-read your own link.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 12:35 PM

It'd be nifty if you could use the iPad as a wireless display, and I don't mean through VNC.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jan 29, 2010, 02:57 PM

Digital closet. I can mix and match my clothes to make outfits.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It'd be nifty if you could use the iPad as a wireless display, and I don't mean through VNC.
For what device ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules